Post-Game Talk: Canadian plant foliage vs Capitals 7:09ish

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
You still seem to have misconceptions about the type of player Wilson is. By pretty much all accounts he's looked better overall this season.

No i understand, he's a 4th liner with some potential for the 3rd line, but that potential has not shown and he's contributed very little.

He has not been exceptional at any offensive aspects or defensive aspects. At this point all he can do is hit, fight, and draw penalties, which Kadri bested him at yesterday

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No i understand, he's a 4th liner with some potential for the 3rd line, but that potential has not shown and he's contributed very little.

He has not been exceptional at any offensive aspects or defensive aspects. At this point all he can do is hit, fight, and draw penalties, which Kadri bested him at yesterday

Not true at all. He's been pretty good defensively and has created some key turnovers and keep-ins.

Offensively, I agree. He hasn't shown much but I don't know they're asking that of him just yet.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Not true at all. He's been pretty good defensively and has created some key turnovers and keep-ins.

Offensively, I agree. He hasn't shown much but I don't know they're asking that of him just yet.

sounds like you're describing a solid 4th liner, which i think he is.

i can't even remember what we were talking about... I think i was saying you can't scratch Burakovsky since Wilson and Latta have been so much worse?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I'll toss in the same point i've been saying since the start of last season. Wilson generates far more offense to this team than his numbers suggest since from the start of last season he's right up there in drawing penalties around the NHL. That's big help for team that is among the best on the PP. Today he got rattled (by another guy who is among the best at drawing penalties in Kadri) and got extra minor for that. Not that i agree with the refs since Kadri took puckless Wilson down away from the play, but he needs to keep his cool there.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So far this season, Wilson has not carried over his penalty differential from last year. It's still early, so there's plenty of noise in the data, but as of right now he's dead even in terms of penalties taken and drawn (1.6 per 60 minutes). Not counting Sean Collins' two game sample, Marcus Johansson has the best rate on the team (drawing 1.9 penalties per 60 and has yet to commit a penalty himself). In the negative end of the spectrum (not counting Galiev's tiny sample) is Brooks Orpik. Orpik is committing 2.1 penalties per 60 and hasn't drawn one yet.

Trotz can always scratch Bura for 1 game just to send a message. Sending him to Hershey would be excessive and would also ruin his confidence.

I don't think any of us are sports psychologists, or there's a one-size-fits-all answer to a player's confidence. Burakovsky tearing it up in Hershey might be a confidence booster. Burakovsky getting benched for a night might reduce his confidence further. It's always a guessing game.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I don't think any of us are sports psychologists, or there's a one-size-fits-all answer to a player's confidence. Burakovsky tearing it up in Hershey might be a confidence booster. Burakovsky getting benched for a night might reduce his confidence further. It's always a guessing game.

I don't know Bura personally, so it's hard to guess. However, Trotz mentioned that he was a bit moody on the nights he got scratched last year.

I'm sure the coaching staff knows what to do with him to get him back on track.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I'm sure they will figure it out how to make Bura better. There are 2 older swedes, one of whom is Nicklas Backstrom himself (one of the best active swedish players, and one of the smartest two-way forwards at the same time, true leader of taciturn and humble swedes all over the NA).

I just hope Williams doesn't mind playing with Beagle.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
How patient of you...not giving up on a skilled 20 year old hockey player yet

I don't think anyone is arguing that we should give up on Burt, but he's the odd man out on this team and isn't playing the skill minutes his game needs to grow.

I would endorse sending him to Hershey until injury or performance opens up a top-6 spot for him in DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad