Canadian Networks Leafs Bias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I for one find it hilarious how they get all this attention and Leafs fans brag about it. Like ur one of the most mediocre franchises in the league chill no one cares.

This, Montreal may have more numbers but Leafs fans are louder about it :laugh: Oh and they're willing to shell out money, marketing has done it's job, racking in those margins for a mediocre product.

It's pretty impressive, you could watch a maple leafs game from 2005-2016 - the analysts, announcers everybody talks the leafs up as some great team, they have all these guys coming up all this skill then you check the standings and they were pretty much in the same place every year and had missed the playoffs in 10 of 11 seasons.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
So TSN has Leafs lunch, which is fine if they want to do that, but what about Habs Lunch, Jets lunch, Canucks Lunch etc, for a national network they sure are bias towards one team.

Sportsnet has Hockey Central which should be re-named Leafs central because all they do is talk about the Leafs for the first 15 or 20 minutes. Again, for a national network they sure are focused on one team.

Of course they are doing it for ratings only but by doing that they are shafting 80% of the country. Every poll taken in the past 10 years has shown that the Habs have more fans in Canada than the Leafs but because most Quebec fans watch on French networks TSN and Sportsnt don't care. They only care about eyes on their channels which as I said earlier shafts everyone outside of Ontario.

With all the Leaf love and excessive commercials within 10 years both networks will be irrelevant as Canadians will wake up and start streaming free games, I've already dumped Sportsnet this year and will probably dump TSN soon as the only thing I watch there is Jets games and the CFL. I've come to relaize that major networks are horrible, American ones are extremely horrible and that I am wasting my money paying for their propaganda, commercials and horrible programming. I PVR almost everything I watch now to avoid commercials. Anyone else feel the same?
The only difference between watching Leafs Lunch and listening to the other regions' programming on your mobile device or computer is that you have the option of seeing the hosts' faces. There is no additional value in watching the television broadcast of a radio program.

Most of TSN and Sportsnet's daytime programming is filler because they don't care to spend any additional money on daytime programming; TSN even slashed Off The Record a few years ago and gave Landsberg a radio gig instead. Most people are at work during the day and listen to their local TSN or Sportsnet radio affiliate for sports discussion.

Evening (prime time) ratings are higher than daytime ratings; evenings begin earlier in the east than they do in the west, hence the programming is geared towards central Canada.

If more Anglophones watch the Leafs than the Habs, that answers your concern about Habs fans; most Francophones tune in to RDS and TVA.

Last edited:

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
That's for sure fair. I dislike my own team getting shoved down my throat as well, I am an NHL fan and look at the league as a whole.

It's just when I hear stupid statements like "Leafs and Habs can leave and start their own league" the amount the NHL and the product would suffer if these teams decided to leave would be enormous.
Yes it might be a "stupid" statement but a man can dream can he? IMO Montreal is far more important to the NHL then the Leafs, Monteal has won 24 cups, they are the NY Yankees of the NHL no doubt, Toronto hasnt won anything since way before i was born and i was born in 1971 so during my life time Toronto has won 0 Cups, Montreal has won 8 Cups during my life.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Yes it might be a "stupid" statement but a man can dream can he? IMO Montreal is far more important to the NHL then the Leafs, Monteal has won 24 cups, they are the NY Yankees of the NHL no doubt, Toronto hasnt won anything since way before i was born and i was born in 1971 so during my life time Toronto has won 0 Cups, Montreal has won 8 Cups during my life.

Both are equally important. When you factor in many other historical variables, and not just cups, they both are the Yankees of the NHL.

Listen, I don't pretend to not understand the annoyance from non-fans, I get it.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Both are equally important. When you factor in many other historical variables, and not just cups, they both are the Yankees of the NHL.

Listen, I don't pretend to not understand the annoyance from non-fans, I get it.
I get what your saying and in a way your right the NHL would not be the same without Toronto and Montreal

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I get what your saying and in a way your right the NHL would not be the same without Toronto and Montreal

But I really do see the annoyance. I am telling ya, most of us in Toronto hate it! I do not want so much media and radio coverage. Just want to watch the game, have a beer, and hit some msg boards lol

The league does need these teams, and I wish it could be done in a way that 80 percent of the spotlight were not on them.

Reactions: albator71

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
If your pockets were being filled by the leafs and their fans I don't think you'd give a crap about how much coverage they get. Businesses care about the bottomline. They don't care about you or me.

What's the point of bashing the Leafs and their fans and calling them shit because you're being taken for a ride by the media companies. No one is forcing you to listen to hockey central or leafs lunch. You chose to purchase their services. Feel free to voice your opinions at the creators and hosts of the content, not the followers who enjoy the quality of material.

Lastly, leafs fans aren't gullible idiots. Real fans couldnt find or afford seats even when the team was horrendous. Corporations bought out so many season tickets just to put a bunch of suits and business deals in the ACC. The lack of supply pushes the prices through the roof and your supposed sellouts is only partially filled by true dedicated fans.

Teams of smaller markets should appreciate the fact that they don't have to pay out the ass to watch their beloved teams play a game. And if you really truly care about the excessive leafs content, feel free to take up your disputes with the people in charge. These types of threads are a joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Nate

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Somehow Leafs and its fans get blamed for media bias.

It's just a numbers game. Don't read too much into it. They have a business to run and Leafs fans bring in the most eyes.

They're responding to the stats put in front of them and creating content. If Arizona had the most viewing fans, these Canadian broadcasters would shift their focus in that direction.

Same applies to HF too.

The ratio may be the same but the Leafs fanbase is simply larger on the forum. So, you see more posts/threads on the team along with quite a few overzealous fans.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Somehow Leafs and its fans get blamed for media bias.

It's just a numbers game. Don't read too much into it. They have a business to run and Leafs fans bring in the most eyes.

They're responding to the stats put in front of them and creating content. If Arizona had the most viewing fans, these Canadian broadcasters would shift their focus in that direction.

Same applies to HF too.

The ratio may be the same but the Leafs fanbase is simply larger on the forum. So, you see more posts/threads on the team along with quite a few overzealous fans.

I do hate getting ripped for it all the time, but I can understand other teams and fanbase annoyance.

But it is 100 percent to do with business and historical significance, business being first of course.

KingBilly

Oct 18, 2008
How has no one mentioned that there is a Canucks radio show on TSN? It's a show that actually exists, or existed. I've seen it. Maybe they cancelled it, but I've seen it before on TSN.

As a Sens fan, of all teams, you get used to the fact that the national sports media in Canada is based out of Toronto and everyone is against you, and oh yeah, you're a budget team too. That underdog mentality is part of what being a Sens fan is about. And why I hate them more than Montreal. A lot more.

But I have thick skin about it. It's kinda baked into the Battle of Ontario.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
The thing that annoys me on the website is, the Leafs will lose like 5-1 but all 4/5 articles will be “Proof Matthews is GOAT”, “why the leafs deserves the win” etc etc etc

Does my head in.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
How has no one mentioned that there is a Canucks radio show on TSN? It's a show that actually exists, or existed. I've seen it. Maybe they cancelled it, but I've seen it before on TSN.

As a Sens fan, of all teams, you get used to the fact that the national sports media in Canada is based out of Toronto and everyone is against you, and oh yeah, you're a budget team too. That underdog mentality is part of what being a Sens fan is about. And why I hate them more than Montreal. A lot more.

But I have thick skin about it. It's kinda baked into the Battle of Ontario.

Actually, if I am correct, there is a tab that has links to all the Canadian team shows?

I get it though, the coverage is annoying..

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I really wish you guys would get a downtown arena, that's all it is honestly.
Me too brother, but i really believe it will come one day soon

But right now its a good time to be a Sens and Leafs fan, if things keep going like they are right theres a good chance we might meet in the 1st round of the playoffs, how fun would that be?

Reactions: DanM

KingBilly

Oct 18, 2008
Actually, if I am correct, there is a tab that has links to all the Canadian team shows?

I get it though, the coverage is annoying..

I mean on TV. I don't know about the internet, but I swear I've seen radio shows about the Canucks and Jets, exactly like Leafs Lunch, but with more local talent, on TSN during the day.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
The thing that annoys me on the website is, the Leafs will lose like 5-1 but all 4/5 articles will be “Proof Matthews is GOAT”, “why the leafs deserves the win” etc etc etc

Does my head in.
First off, you won't find an article about why the leafs deserved the win unless they completely outplayed a team. For all the good that Toronto market and the hype brings, there's just as much negativity. Leafs fans and media goes into full out crisis mode after losses. So clearly that point is not true.

As for the Matthews is GOAT, yes, there are quite a few articles about Matthews and how good he is as a player. It's warranted. He's a homegrown generational talent and something we have never had in the history of this franchise. You must be out of your mind if you think the media isn't going to milk out every last drop out of his coverage. You don't think Aaron Judge is being treated like a king with full blown media coverage in NYC? Great young players for iconic franchises get articles written about them.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I mean on TV. I don't know about the internet, but I swear I've seen radio shows about the Canucks and Jets, exactly like Leafs Lunch, but with more local talent, on TSN during the day.

I think I have seen that as well.

Also as Leaf fans, we get crapped on also. Our games get broadcasted on a million different networks, plus Leafs T.V so if a person doesn't stream, you would need all TSN channels, Leafs T.V, all sportsnet channels, and CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce