Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Germany checking in. I care about those 2 series.

You guys have some inferiority complex considering having 2 of the most legendary and winningest hockey clubs all time, the next great Oiler team playing up-tempo & high scoring, some of the brightest stars in the league, and generally being the #1 hockey nation.

Keep in mind many Europeans might follow a NHL team due to player nationality like Edmonton having 2 German players, the best German player ever, and the best player in the game (McDavid).

We used to have finnish fans in wpg and once laine bounced they were long gone.

Fans of the player and not the team.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I was reminding people of the conspiracy theory of the NHL not wanting two Canadian teams in the finals because it would hurt the ratings for American viewers, I don't know if it's true, but regardless do you think that the NHL would like a Montreal vs Toronto series this year? I think that eastern Canada is the only fans that are interested.
After Frazer screwed the Islanders in 93, coach Arbour claimed that the NHL wanted Montreal and Toronto in the finals.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Failure on many fronts with the Jets.

From legit contenders to fringe playoff team in 3 seasons FFS. All that offensive talent (that currently cant score) and a stud #1 goalie (that currently cant stop a puck) but an AHL D and a coach that has lost the room. Sigh.

I have been on the fire Maurice (and the entire coaching staff) for almost 2 years but Chevy should be on the hotseat as well. Failed a couple seasons in a row trying to get a #2 C that was apparently the missing piece. Then failed to address losing 4 top 5 D in an offseason. Failed to change the coaching staff when it was easily apparent the systems employed were not conducive to winning and in the process lost out on the chance to hire local coach Barry Trotz.

Jets obviously need a change. Whilst it is worrisome some players appear to have quit on the season/team maybe a new coaching staff and new coaching vision is probably the first step. If the players dont respond you might see more core players moved out.

I think where Maurice's failure comes in is in not getting the team to play a more structured game to try and cover for the lack of talent on defense. It will never be perfect, but very good team defense can somewhat cover for lack of individual talent on the blueline. But the Jets just don't seem to even bother.

It's kind of like when you have a rookie goalie or a AHL call-up in nets. The team tries to play more safe and help him out a lot more than if their all-star goalie is in nets where they take more chances because they know he'll bail them out. Similar approach should apply to the Jets' defense. Yet Maurice doesn't seem to have them playing any sort of "safe" game.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
These first round matchups are going to come down to the final game between TOR and WPG, aren't they? Then the Leafs will rest all the stars and still manage to win and play the Jets?

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
These first round matchups are going to come down to the final game between TOR and WPG, aren't they? Then the Leafs will rest all the stars and still manage to win and play the Jets?

Winnipeg needs just one point in their final two games to clinch third. As much as I want to play the Habs, I honestly feel like the Jets are going to drop to fourth.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Maybe Fraser was jus a bad ref.
He had a rough playoffs and admitted to his mistakes just before he retired, it's too bad that he didn't admit to it during the 1993 playoffs. As for this season at least one Canadian team will go to the conference finals regardless of poor play or officiating.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah, that is a possibility. Though he was deamed good enough to ref over1900 games an 12 Cup finals.

I find what the NHL deems a good ref and what I deem one to often differ.

For instance, I'm not a fan of Wes McCauley. I find he's one of the worst at "managing the game" too much. He'll ignore obvious infractions all in the name of "letting them play", or when he's forced to make 2 or 3 calls for one team because the infractions were impossible to ignore, he seems to balance out the calls afterward by calling weak calls on the other team or by letting the one team with a lot of penalties get away with murder.

Yet the NHL loves him because he does exactly what they want. Game management and making sure the PP's don't favor one team, even in games where they actually should if you called it by the book.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I find what the NHL deems a good ref and what I deem one to often differ.

For instance, I'm not a fan of Wes McCauley. I find he's one of the worst at "managing the game" too much. He'll ignore obvious infractions all in the name of "letting them play", or when he's forced to make 2 or 3 calls for one team because the infractions were impossible to ignore, he seems to balance out the calls afterward by calling weak calls on the other team or by letting the one team with a lot of penalties get away with murder.

Yet the NHL loves him because he does exactly what they want. Game management and making sure the PP's don't favor one team, even in games where they actually should if you called it by the book.
Me too. I put it as a possibility. I think it has more credibility than the conspiracy theory.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I loved the northern division this year. That said, I will take pleasure watching McDavid feast on western teams next year. Just entering his prime and he will humble a lot of clueless western team fans.

Reactions: Kanu

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Probably, but that was the theory behind the Gretzky high sticking non call that prevented a Toronto vs Montreal finals.
There's also a theory that the earth is flat, coming from a similar demographic.

It's also amazing how the NHL then did a 180 a few days later and 'fixed' the Cup Finals so that the Canadian franchise would win, after a cheap illegal-stick penalty to McSorley.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It was *a* theory. I think Fraser was too scared to call it myself.
He just missed it. There was one ref back then, and they missed about 75% of all infractions.

If there's one thing Fraser was never afraid to do, it was call penalties against star players. He tossed both Gretzky and Lemieux out of games with 'sportsmanship' misconducts in his career, prior to the 1993 series. Fraser's well-known and common refereeing "style" was to call about 10 penalties in a row to only one of the two teams, especially if that club's coach was giving him any lip. Fraser needed to show that he had 'big boy' pants on.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
There's also a theory that the earth is flat, coming from a similar demographic.

It's also amazing how the NHL then did a 180 a few days later and 'fixed' the Cup Finals so that the Canadian franchise would win, after a cheap illegal-stick penalty to McSorley.
Right, lol, there aren't too many people saying the earth is flat, that was 500 years ago or more.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Montreal vs Toronto in 1st round aka the most successful franchise in the sport's history vs the 2nd.

And than, in second round:
Montreal vs Edmonton aka the two teams who arguably had the best team ever assembled (1970s Habs vs 1980s Oilers)

Montreal than get out of the North to take care of its Nemesis: Boston.

Montreal wins the cup against Colorado, to avenge the Roy Trade.

That's the roadmap here guys!

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Whats the rationale for cancelling them?

They're not going to cancel them... but part of me wonders why they don't just start the playoffs in spite of them?

The US teams begin the playoffs on Saturday. Montreal finishes tonight. Toronto & Winnipeg finish Friday, and Edmonton finishes Saturday.

Start Toronto-Montreal on Tuesday and Winnipeg/Edmonton on Wednesday. None of their buildings have scheduling conflicts.

Yes, it's possible that short series "shrinks" the gap; but it's also possible that short series' in the US increase the gap. Might as well get the teams closer to even

Reactions: Zybalto
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad