Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
I can’t see Montreal losing on Saturday. They shut down Marner and Matthews, both were pretty invisible. And you’re not getting goals from Mik-whatever and Holl again
Seems like it's kind of a problem that Matthews/Marner were invisible, the game was the type of low event hockey that would have theoretically benefitted the Habs and they still lost, no?

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
I can’t see Montreal losing on Saturday. They shut down Marner and Matthews, both were pretty invisible. And you’re not getting goals from Mik-whatever and Holl again

Matthews had an empty net, Nylander had an empty net. They both failed to score.

Travis Boyd had an empty net he fanned on.
I wouldn't say they were shutdown. Marner had his chances in the slot but missed the net.

This shows how good the Leafs are. Even without their top 6 not scoring. They have secondary scoring options.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Every game is a toss-up in this division but let's be real here. Montreal was coming off of a 3-day break after playing Sens x 2 and Canucks x 2 and still got whooped in the 2nd half of this game by a Leafs team that had no idea there was a hockey game going on until halfway through the game. Pretty f***ing embarrassing. Pretenders can pretend for only so long. Habs are by no means a bad team but their record is flattering them big time. They're simply just not that good. Flames and Jets are the biggest threats to us in the regular season at least.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Brutal game by the Leafs today. 2 games in a row, they forget to show up until half the game is done. Keefe needs to knock this crap out of them. Really disappointing after they put in as close to a 60-minute effort as you can get in that 2nd Canucks game. And yes, before someone points out it's the Canucks, I know, Habs aren't world beaters either. Every NHL team deserves the respect for you to put in a full 60 mins of effort.

Reactions: Devonator

Houlerion

Jan 20, 2021
Repentigny
Good job leafs. They were the better team tonight that’s for sure and they deserved the W.

Habs needs to play with a lot more energy if they wanna be taken seriously. Still think they can win the serie this year against Toronto, but they will need to wake the fu asap ´cause our Ontario neighbours won’t be easy to play against if we let them skate so easily.

Reactions: zeke and Atomos2

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
If that means they think they can coast to the playoffs then just turn it on that's a dangerous game.
This. We lulled our way to the playoffs behind Boston and Tampa for the last 4 years and tried to turn it up in the playoffs and got our butts handed to us. Need better habits. Develop that killer instinct that elite teams have. Tampa/ Boston isn't sitting there taking it easy when they're opening up huge leads in the standings. They're still working on perfecting their game.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
If that means they think they can coast to the playoffs then just turn it on that's a dangerous game.
Well they can coast to the playoffs for sure. I'd say there's a 0% chance they miss the playoffs. So maybe cruise through these next 30 games and then start to turn it up?

There's just not much competition in this division when each team is playing at it's best.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Well they can coast to the playoffs for sure. I'd say there's a 0% chance they miss the playoffs. So maybe cruise through these next 30 games and then start to turn it up?

There's just not much competition in this division when each team is playing at it's best.
The dangerous game is thinking you can turn it off, then just turn it on again come playoff time. Happened to the Canucks in 2012 and got stomped by the Kings in round 1.

Reactions: nobody

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
This. We lulled our way to the playoffs behind Boston and Tampa for the last 4 years and tried to turn it up in the playoffs and got our butts handed to us. Need better habits. Develop that killer instinct that elite teams have. Tampa/ Boston isn't sitting there taking it easy when they're opening up huge leads in the standings. They're still working on perfecting their game.
Exactly.

Mar 14, 2011
The Flames schedule so far has been

Ottawa x 0 gms
Edmonton x 1 gm
Vancouver x 2 gms
Toronto x 2 gms
Montreal x 2 gms
Winnipeg x 5 gms
Those freebie Ottawa games in the middle and late season are going to be clutch for the Flames, a top 3 finish is very likely.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Danault is the best checking C in the North division so it's not really a big surprise imo.
Montreal did a decent job defensively this game but let's not forget that all of Matthews, Willy and Mitch missed wide-open nets and easy chances because the puck either bounced on them or they got absolutely shit shots off. Mitch and Auston could've easily potted a goal or two today. And besides the defensive play, offensively they looked like poop.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Brutal game by the Leafs today. 2 games in a row, they forget to show up until half the game is done. Keefe needs to knock this crap out of them. Really disappointing after they put in as close to a 60-minute effort as you can get in that 2nd Canucks game. And yes, before someone points out it's the Canucks, I know, Habs aren't world beaters either. Every NHL team deserves the respect for you to put in a full 60 mins of effort.

My concern isn't the regular season, they are talented enough to walk the division blindfolded. My concern is they will have a lazy season, win the division and get walked by a team that's been playing hard all year.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Winnipeg
4. Calgary
5. Edmonton
6. Vancouver
7. Ottawa

Any surprises?

Status