WJC: Canada WJC Discussion (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Strome can play wing, Schiefele cannot.

And that's subjective, both Strome and Schiefele made their NHL team this year, I wouldn't say Huberdeau is very far ahead of them at this point.
When they're gone by the 9 game mark, it means they got an extra look, they most certainly didn't make the team (especially Strome, who just sat in the press box). The players that made their teams are playing in the NHL right now. Florida was just the only team that wasn't kidding themselves.

How you can say a player currently playing in junior made their NHL team and think it makes sense is beyond me.

NewJackEdwards

Jun 8, 2010
CT
Does Spooner have a legit chance to crack the roster? I know he had a rough start to the season but has picked it up quite a bit lately, and had a good Subway series.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Can someone give an non-biased opinion about the goalies? How do they match up last year?

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
That's a pretty bad article, IMO. Too much crying about the east-coast for my liking (I go to school in Halifax and it seems to happen a lot in newspaper). Hockey Canada felt MacKinnon wasn't going to fill a role on the team, thus didn't get an invite. Simple as that.

Hence why I said I dont agree with all of it..

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Can someone give an non-biased opinion about the goalies? How do they match up last year?

Well, Visentin was the guy last year and faltered. He's the incumbant, but has had a brutal campaign on a bad team. My guess is he'll be given the first crack at the #1 spot, but he's on the hotseat.

arsmaster*

Am I the only one that thinks the OHL has beaten the Russian every game. Quebec lost both games and the WHL lost one game this year and both last year. So why would you not lean towards as many OHL players as you can. Because they just win all the time.

You know what happens when you build a team to beat "one country", you lose to another one!

This post really doesnt even deserve a reply.

GoalieGuy35

Jun 13, 2011

Bunz is the most consistent goalie heading into the selection camp, he is most likely pencilled in to one of the spots making it his to lose. I always like Canada to have a Western goalie on the team as we clearly have had alot of success with them in past years.

Visentin, obviously is considered to be the other tender likely to represent Canada, however, he clearly faultered last year, and is not having a good year with a fairly strong Niagara team in the O (Although the team itself is not living up to any of its potential).

Domingue, I do not have alot of information on, but also drafted by Phoenix with Visentin, is one of the more respectable goalies in the Q. Makes some big saves and can be very athletic but mostly on the outside looking in.

Wedgewood, probably the least likely to make the team, but has pulled his game around in November with some much better numbers and play. One of the hotter goalies in the O right now (Besides Subban), but has an outside chance of cracking the roster, especially over Visentin.

Almember

Mar 23, 2009
Bunz is the most consistent goalie heading into the selection camp, he is most likely pencilled in to one of the spots making it his to lose. I always like Canada to have a Western goalie on the team as we clearly have had alot of success with them in past years.

Visentin, obviously is considered to be the other tender likely to represent Canada, however, he clearly faultered last year, and is not having a good year with a fairly strong Niagara team in the O (Although the team itself is not living up to any of its potential).

Domingue, I do not have alot of information on, but also drafted by Phoenix with Visentin, is one of the more respectable goalies in the Q. Makes some big saves and can be very athletic but mostly on the outside looking in.

Wedgewood, probably the least likely to make the team, but has pulled his game around in November with some much better numbers and play. One of the hotter goalies in the O right now (Besides Subban), but has an outside chance of cracking the roster, especially over Visentin.

I didn't trust Domingue last year. Quebec Remparts had a big team and he choke when he had some pressure on him. He makes a lot of improvement in his mental game preparation and this year, he's a big surprise for me!! Domingue is able to make some athletics saves and he plays a positional style. He's big between is pipes, but he had some problem to control his rebound, but he very improve his problems.

I'm not a huge fan of Domingue, but i think this year, he had a spot to loose rather a spot to win between he and Visentin.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

So you basically told us what we could have found out at hockeydb.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'll be surprised if Visentin is left off the squad. He had an injury that hampered him earlier this year which affected his stats but after the heartbreaking loss in the Gold Medal game last year Visentin went on an incredible run and was named the OHL goalie of the year. Given his experience and how he handled the adversity after that he'll get the nod.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Toffoli and Bournival better be on this team

Don't make the same mistake as last year

Same can be said for other players

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Toffoli and Bournival better be on this team

Don't make the same mistake as last year

Same can be said for other players

Same mistake as in what? Not having good enough defensive players?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Pendegrast and/or Hay say they wanted to bring more offense this time around?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
When they're gone by the 9 game mark, it means they got an extra look, they most certainly didn't make the team (especially Strome, who just sat in the press box). The players that made their teams are playing in the NHL right now. Florida was just the only team that wasn't kidding themselves.

How you can say a player currently playing in junior made their NHL team and think it makes sense is beyond me.

So what you're saying is players who were with their NHL team during the regular season didn't make their team? They were on the team, but they didn't make the team. I don't understand, I guess you have to spend an entire season in the NHL to have "made" your team.

I don't care if you were sent home to junior, if you are still on the team after the NHL regular season opens, you made your team. Strome and Schiefele both did that, Huberdeau did not.

arsmaster*

So what you're saying is players who were with their NHL team during the regular season didn't make their team? They were on the team, but they didn't make the team. I don't understand, I guess you have to spend an entire season in the NHL to have "made" your team.

I don't care if you were sent home to junior, if you are still on the team after the NHL regular season opens, you made your team. Strome and Schiefele both did that, Huberdeau did not.

I think the argument is more to Strome.

He got to sit in the press box.

He did not play in the NHL regular season.

Florida could have done the same thing with Huberdeau...but they wanted him to keep playing.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
I think the argument is more to Strome.

He got to sit in the press box.

He did not play in the NHL regular season.

Florida could have done the same thing with Huberdeau...but they wanted him to keep playing.

And one could argue that time Strome spent with the pro club wasn't always watching from the press box, he practiced with the team, watched the team, listened to what the coaching staff want to see from him, he made the team out of preseason and was a healthy scratch before being returned to his junior team, why mince words?

Eadig

Nov 20, 2005

They both didn't make the final roster, saying they made their team just because the played a regular season game is like saying a call-up from the AHL made the team.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

No, but you kinda have to get to the point where the team tells you to find a place. Until then, and with junior eligible players, that is 9 game mark.

Mika Zibanejad would have looked like a fool had he said he made the team 5 games into the season in Ottawa, everyone knew he was on a tryout until game 9.

RandR

May 15, 2011

That's nonsense.

By your logic, a player who played the first two games of the NHL regular season to fill in for an injured player also "made his team" even though he was sent to the AHL (or junior) as soon as the other player was fit to play.

Nobody says you have to spend an entire season to have "made your team" but we all know that it is not unusual for teams to give one of their top prospects one or more games in the NHL pre-season and even regular season before sending them "down" for THE YEAR. Zibanejad is a good example.

But on second thought, I think I'll use your standards and start telling everyone that my father fought in WWII even though he just went to boot camp and never left the country. :naughty:

Last edited:

GoalieGuy35

Jun 13, 2011
So you basically told us what we could have found out at hockeydb.

What other information are you looking for?

Visentin/ Wedgewood= Both technical goaltenders in the OHL. Solid rebound control, play very positionally. I would give the athleticsm nod to Visentin, whereas technical game play would be leaning more to Wedgewood. Wedgewood is playing more like he wants to win than Visentin at the moment though.

Bunz plays a very technical blocking butterfly style, very confident and upright in the crease. Fast feet, and great mobility down low. Certainly not a massive goalie, but plays the angles extremely well which allows him to be so consistent. Efficient puck moving abilities as well.

Does this give you more than hockeydb?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Visentin/ Wedgewood= Both technical goaltenders in the OHL. Solid rebound control, play very positionally. I would give the athleticsm nod to Visentin, whereas technical game play would be leaning more to Wedgewood. Wedgewood is playing more like he wants to win than Visentin at the moment though.

Bunz plays a very technical blocking butterfly style, very confident and upright in the crease. Fast feet, and great mobility down low. Certainly not a massive goalie, but plays the angles extremely well which allows him to be so consistent. Efficient puck moving abilities as well.

Thank you for this. This was extremely informative. What about Domingue?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

That is what you should have said in the first place. I agree with most of what you said. Domingue is big and plays large in his net as well. This is a technique I love from goaltenders, slightly less hip bend then Wedgewood or Visentin. Will not wow you with his speed or mobility but he is above average for his size. Weak glove and weak mental game is his downfall.

I still think they go with the goaltender who is on top of his game come the end of camp so style means nothing.

Last edited:

GoalieGuy35

Jun 13, 2011
That is what you should have said in the first place. I agree with most of what you said. Domingue is big and plays large in his net as well. This is a technique I love from goaltenders. Will not wow you with his speed or mobility but he is above average for his size. Weak glove and weak mental game is his downfall.

I still think they go with the goaltender who is on top of his game come the end of camp so style means nothing.

To the last couple posters, I haven't seen enough of Domingue to give a fair enough analysis.
I agree with what you say about taking the goalie who is the most on top of his game, this is why I believe Bunz will be the goalie toughest to beat out. If Domingue has a weak mental game like you say, that will certainly hinder his performance. Visentin is certainly the most mentally prepared for such a tournament, and that may play to his advantage. His story this year slightly reminds me of Jack Cambell of the USA. Started off having a slightly weaker season when he started with Windsor (Niagara for Visentin), but lit up the World jrs, which is what I hope happens for Visentin. Sometimes preparing for a tournament like this will get them back on top.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
To the last couple posters, I haven't seen enough of Domingue to give a fair enough analysis.
I agree with what you say about taking the goalie who is the most on top of his game, this is why I believe Bunz will be the goalie toughest to beat out. If Domingue has a weak mental game like you say, that will certainly hinder his performance. Visentin is certainly the most mentally prepared for such a tournament, and that may play to his advantage. His story this year slightly reminds me of Jack Cambell of the USA. Started off having a slightly weaker season when he started with Windsor (Niagara for Visentin), but lit up the World jrs, which is what I hope happens for Visentin. Sometimes preparing for a tournament like this will get them back on top.
I think it can be good and bad. I don't like the fact that they have their own goaltender coach. Tugnutt may like some things different then what Stan Matwijiw likes. I think this team's strength will be on defense so a goaltender like Bunz seems to fit the bill. Who knows, can't wait for camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad