Canada vs USA styles - Bob McKenzie

Pyke*

Speaking of Sports Telecasters...

I was out for dinner when I saw Doug Maclean at one of the tables. He is tall. A sharp dresser. Nice (white) hair.

I walked by and said :

"Mr Maclean... who is going to win tonight?"

He smiled and said "Canada" in a way that suggested there was no other choice.

I continued to walk away and said "Love your show."

He thanked me and I went on my merry way. Would have loved to talk hockey with him but... you never know when you are crossing the line.

He seemed like a very nice man. :)

Although I suspect he's too polite to have complained even if you did cross the line, it is considerate of you to be mindful of the fact he probably has his fair share of encounters with fans who are not as considerate.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Although I suspect he's too polite to have complained even if you did cross the line, it is considerate of you to be mindful of the fact he probably has his fair share of encounters with fans who are not as considerate.

I like to think I did not cross the line.

My gf, who handles situations better then anyone, said I handled it well.

He responded well to the attention... again, I kept it to a minimum so his meal was not interupted.

It was not a fancy restaurant by any means... large tables... sit where you want... sit with strangers... buffet.

Pyke*

I like to think I did not cross the line.

My gf, who handles situations better then anyone, said I handled it well.

He responded well to the attention... again, I kept it to a minimum so his meal was not interupted.

It was not a fancy restaurant by any means... large tables... sit where you want... sit with strangers... buffet.

My apologies - I was not meaning to assert you did cross the line.

I was suggesting others would have, and it was considerate of you to avoid doing so.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
Okay...fair enough... We are not in 2nd grade... Perhaps some evidence among NCAA D1 teams to support this answer... I believe students in college or at high levels of education has to support the answer with reason to gain a percentage of correct answer on the question...Even if the answer is right...
This is to make it hard for morons to gain % when it is undeserved.
I look forward to some Nationality %'s

I remember hearing from some big name (if I can find it, I'll edit it in) in the NCAA D1 Hockey Program who said that about a third of all players are Canadian. This was during the US Vs. CAN WJC broadcast.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

My apologies - I was not meaning to assert you did cross the line.

I was suggesting others would have, and it was considerate of you to avoid doing so.

I did not take it the wrong way. :) I knew what you were getting at. :handclap:

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
I think that McKenzie was basically saying that Team Canada plays Power Forward type hockey, while Team USA plays explosively fast finesse type of hockey.

Using the term "power forward" probably clears things up here, as we all know that power forwards can have great shots and good offensive talent.

Basically its kind of like a team of Jarome Iginlas vs. a team of Zach Parises. Zach might be a touch faster/slicker than Jarome, but Jarome hits harder and more often. Both have plenty of offensive talent, though.

DungeonK

Love Thy Neighbor
Jul 6, 2006
Atlanta
Bob McKenzie, the best hockey analyst around, made a very interesting assessment of the style of play between the 2 countries.

Canada - more of a grind it out along the boards and traffic at the net type of game
USA - more of a rush type of team, generating turnovers and counterattacking

This seems to have been a trend over the years between the 2 nations. Even Herb Brooks at SLC had the same style of game for the Americans.

I wonder, does the choice in styles have more to do with how each country does their championship tournaments for this age group and onwards.

Canada - CHL, you play 4 rounds of the playoffs, best of 7 series to win it all, so playing physical allows you to wear down your opponent in the first few games, so that by the half way point of the series, you see the benefit of the hitting/grinding on the opposition, as they begin turning the puck over and shying away from the hits.

USA - NCAA Frozen 4 tournament, it's a single game elimination, so you are more relying on your talented players to have a big game and win it for you.

Thoughts?

That's pretty funny considering the US and Canadian Olympic teams played exactly the opposite of these ideas about the junior teams.

DungeonK

Love Thy Neighbor
Jul 6, 2006
Atlanta
In Canada you learn to play along the boards from an early age. You learn to wear your opponents down by hitting them into the boards; You learn to take a hit into the boards; you learn to protect the puck using your body and the boards. You learn to use the boards to control play. You learn to use the boards to clear the puck.

To beat Canada; you use skill and a grinding game; combine with speed at a high tempo.

Canada's strategy: Grind your opponents early in the game and they will slow down; Grind your opponents in the middle of the game and they will take penalties; Grind your opponents in the 3rd period and they will lose moral.

Canada = ALL HEART; which no other nation has. Doesn't matter if you have more skill; more speed; more strength because nothing beats more HEART.

This what you learn to do. This is why you skate off onto the fields of battle as your forefathers did before you. This is why you live. CANANADA.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I think that McKenzie was basically saying that Team Canada plays Power Forward type hockey, while Team USA plays explosively fast finesse type of hockey.

Using the term "power forward" probably clears things up here, as we all know that power forwards can have great shots and good offensive talent.

Basically its kind of like a team of Jarome Iginlas vs. a team of Zach Parises. Zach might be a touch faster/slicker than Jarome, but Jarome hits harder and more often. Both have plenty of offensive talent, though.

With the Canadian coaching staff coming from the CHL, it just always seemed to me that they take that get the puck in deep, work the boards, play physical, take the puck to the net, get traffic type of game with them to the tournament. Even the great 2005 team, I don't recall Sutter's team played a transition game, when arguably they had outstanding high end talent.

Always seem to come back to that "Power Forward" mentality to wear down their opponent.

I don't follow the US as closely, but I would compare them to the old football saying, "We need someone to make a play". Seemed to rely on someone using their skill, be it skating or stick handling, to beat their man and setup or score a goal.

All teams, regardless of the philosophy they take into a game, are capable of scoring in different ways. The Sedin twins are known for they cycle game, but have scored many goals off the rush.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
That's pretty funny considering the US and Canadian Olympic teams played exactly the opposite of these ideas about the junior teams.

Really? Because I thought what scared Canada about the US team was the team speed of the Americans. Man to man, they were clearly faster than team Canada. Canada also had a lot of big guys on their roster. Iggy, Nash, Staal, Thornton, Heatley, Marleau, Toews, Getzlaf, Perry, Crosby is really strong on his skates, Morrow and Richards brought it physically. Smallest forward was Bergeron.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
In Canada you learn to play along the boards from an early age. You learn to wear your opponents down by hitting them into the boards; You learn to take a hit into the boards; you learn to protect the puck using your body and the boards. You learn to use the boards to control play. You learn to use the boards to clear the puck.

To beat Canada; you use skill and a grinding game; combine with speed at a high tempo.

Canada's strategy: Grind your opponents early in the game and they will slow down; Grind your opponents in the middle of the game and they will take penalties; Grind your opponents in the 3rd period and they will lose moral.

Canada = ALL HEART; which no other nation has. Doesn't matter if you have more skill; more speed; more strength because nothing beats more HEART.
:laugh:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think there has been an attempt to craft an "American" style of hockey for quite sometime (in particular with the creation of the USNTDP). To me, it's kind of a hybrid of the Canadian and certain European systems with a heavy emphasis on skating ability. What happened tonight is Canada played a man's game against boys-plain and simple.

Que Sera Sera

Dec 30, 2009
Ontario, Canada

9m0YZ.jpg

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Here's how I looked at the two teams:

USA were arrogant, extrememly selfish with the puck and lacked the hunger to win.

The Canadians (players) were humble, quiet, extremely assertive and selfless and passionately hungry to win.

The end result was the utter dismantling of the defending champs. There could have been 2 Canadian fans in the stands and the game being played in Fiji...there was no way Canada was losing that game and it showed from the opening faceoff.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Here's how I looked at the two teams:

USA were arrogant, extrememly selfish with the puck and lacked the hunger to win.

The Canadians (players) were humble, quiet, extremely assertive and selfless and passionately hungry to win.

The end result was the utter dismantling of the defending champs. There could have been 2 Canadian fans in the stands and the game being played in Fiji...there was no way Canada was losing that game and it showed from the opening faceoff.

I dunno, the intensity they brought was just.... wow.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
Canada seems to play a more team centered game, hardwork along the boards first and after a pounding they induce their skill.

American players tend to play more selfishly, always looking for the highlight reel play.

DungeonK

Love Thy Neighbor
Jul 6, 2006
Atlanta
Really? Because I thought what scared Canada about the US team was the team speed of the Americans. Man to man, they were clearly faster than team Canada. Canada also had a lot of big guys on their roster. Iggy, Nash, Staal, Thornton, Heatley, Marleau, Toews, Getzlaf, Perry, Crosby is really strong on his skates, Morrow and Richards brought it physically. Smallest forward was Bergeron.

You can list names all day, the US Olympic team dominated Canada along the boards and in the physicality/grit factor.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
The point of this thread was to try to get an understanding of the different styles that these 2 countries generally play.

Canada, for most of these tournaments likes to play along the boards. I'm wondering if it's because the coaches from the CHL adopt the playoff mentality (best of series) into this tournament and want to grind it out along the boards to wear down the opponent. Even the super powered 2005 team, I don't recall Brent Sutter playing a run and gun style. Team was extremely physical.

USA, lately has been going with a speed/transition team. Again, coaches are mostly from the NCAA and in the frozen 4 finals, it's single game elimination. So, they try to win it with their speed and skill, with the expectation that one of their top players can make a great play to generate a big goal.

I can't recall if the US team this decade has played a battle on the boards type of style that Canada has played this year.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Canada seems to play a more team centered game, hardwork along the boards first and after a pounding they induce their skill.

American players tend to play more selfishly, always looking for the highlight reel play.

I'm not sure I agree. The Americans weren't bad, Canada was just very, very good. If they play with the same intensity against the Russians it will be a blow out.

The Americans played to their strengths - speed, skill and fast transitions. They were hoping to catch the Canadian defense activating and counter-strike with speed. But the Canadian forwards were on their defense so fast and so aggressively that the Americans had no time or space to move the puck. When Canada's D pinched, the forwards supported them. Canada managed to play flat out aggressive without making many mistakes. Even with the apparent speed advantage of the US team, I recall numberous times their forwards being caught from behind.

msm29

Was htsportplaya
Jul 1, 2010
Buffalo, NY
There's definitely a contrast of styles, but that's what makes it even more interesting.

The two teams at the WJC's this year could play ten times (not like a playoff series, but ten random games), and I wouldn't be surprised if the series was 6-4 or 5-5, with each team scoring a blowout or two and a few close games as well.

It really depends on the flow of the game. If the US were to get out, skate hard early and get the Canadians moving, I'm sure they'd have a late edge because the Canadians would get tired chasing them.

At the same time, like what happened in the game this year, the Canadians are capable of wearing the US down if they exert their physical presence early and often.

I'd love to see a series of games played, even just for exhibitions, between these two though.

msm29

Was htsportplaya
Jul 1, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Somebody missed the Olympics last year...(I know Canada won, but you could definitely argue that the US squad had more "heart")

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
There's definitely a contrast of styles, but that's what makes it even more interesting.

The two teams at the WJC's this year could play ten times (not like a playoff series, but ten random games), and I wouldn't be surprised if the series was 6-4 or 5-5, with each team scoring a blowout or two and a few close games as well.

It really depends on the flow of the game. If the US were to get out, skate hard early and get the Canadians moving, I'm sure they'd have a late edge because the Canadians would get tired chasing them.

At the same time, like what happened in the game this year, the Canadians are capable of wearing the US down if they exert their physical presence early and often.

I'd love to see a series of games played, even just for exhibitions, between these two though.

some of your points are valid but canada is also an incredibly good skating team. they may not possess the speed of some of the US forwards but that was only because they brought a team with incredible size and depth; but make no mistake about it, canada was able to skate with the US, Russia and Sweden. in fact Canada's speed is what make them so intimidating. you can't hit what you can't catch and canada was catching the US all night long.

guys like leblanc, eakin, ellis, foligno, etc...have very good wheels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad