Canada vs USA styles - Bob McKenzie

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Bob McKenzie, the best hockey analyst around, made a very interesting assessment of the style of play between the 2 countries.

Canada - more of a grind it out along the boards and traffic at the net type of game
USA - more of a rush type of team, generating turnovers and counterattacking

This seems to have been a trend over the years between the 2 nations. Even Herb Brooks at SLC had the same style of game for the Americans.

I wonder, does the choice in styles have more to do with how each country does their championship tournaments for this age group and onwards.

Canada - CHL, you play 4 rounds of the playoffs, best of 7 series to win it all, so playing physical allows you to wear down your opponent in the first few games, so that by the half way point of the series, you see the benefit of the hitting/grinding on the opposition, as they begin turning the puck over and shying away from the hits.

USA - NCAA Frozen 4 tournament, it's a single game elimination, so you are more relying on your talented players to have a big game and win it for you.

Thoughts?

Anchor Town*

isnt there more canadians in the ncaa than americans?

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Bob McKenzie, the best hockey analyst around, made a very interesting assessment of the style of play between the 2 countries.

Canada - more of a grind it out along the boards and traffic at the net type of game
USA - more of a rush type of team, generating turnovers and counterattacking

This seems to have been a trend over the years between the 2 nations. Even Herb Brooks at SLC had the same style of game for the Americans.

I wonder, does the choice in styles have more to do with how each country does their championship tournaments for this age group and onwards.

Canada - CHL, you play 4 rounds of the playoffs, best of 7 series to win it all, so playing physical allows you to wear down your opponent in the first few games, so that by the half way point of the series, you see the benefit of the hitting/grinding on the opposition, as they begin turning the puck over and shying away from the hits.

USA - NCAA Frozen 4 tournament, it's a single game elimination, so you are more relying on your talented players to have a big game and win it for you.

Thoughts?

The style of play is more physical in the CHL compared to the NCAA but that does not mean that speed and a transition game does not exist in the CHL.

Part of the problem for the U.S. this year was the Defense's inability to contain Canada's large and physical forwards along the half wall and in front of the net but the entire U.S. team also had trouble with Canada's quick transition game as well.

jordan7hm

Aug 31, 2007
isnt there more canadians in the ncaa than americans?

Even if there were it wouldn't matter. The majority of the Canadian team comes from the CHL ranks and more importantly the majority of the coaching staff comes from the CHL ranks (or a CHL style background). The Americans from the NCAA.

It's an interesting analyses. I think it plays off of stereotypes a bit - that's how we Canadians usually view our game at it's best. Physical, high tempo, but above all simple.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
In Canada you learn to play along the boards from an early age. You learn to wear your opponents down by hitting them into the boards; You learn to take a hit into the boards; you learn to protect the puck using your body and the boards. You learn to use the boards to control play. You learn to use the boards to clear the puck.

To beat Canada; you use skill and a grinding game; combine with speed at a high tempo.

Canada's strategy: Grind your opponents early in the game and they will slow down; Grind your opponents in the middle of the game and they will take penalties; Grind your opponents in the 3rd period and they will lose moral.

Canada = ALL HEART; which no other nation has. Doesn't matter if you have more skill; more speed; more strength because nothing beats more HEART.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
In Canada you learn to play along the boards from an early age. You learn to wear your opponents down by hitting them into the boards; You learn to take a hit into the boards; you learn to protect the puck using your body and the boards. You learn to use the boards to control play. You learn to use the boards to clear the puck.

To beat Canada; you use skill and a grinding game; combine with speed at a high tempo.

Canada's strategy: Grind your opponents early in the game and they will slow down; Grind your opponents in the middle of the game and they will take penalties; Grind your opponents in the 3rd period and they will lose moral.

Canada = ALL HEART; which no other nation has. Doesn't matter if you have more skill; more speed; more strength because nothing beats more HEART.

What nonsensical rubbish.

Hollywood

Mar 2, 2004
Canada
Okay...fair enough... We are not in 2nd grade... Perhaps some evidence among NCAA D1 teams to support this answer... I believe students in college or at high levels of education has to support the answer with reason to gain a percentage of correct answer on the question...Even if the answer is right...
This is to make it hard for morons to gain % when it is undeserved.
I look forward to some Nationality %'s

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
it's a bit of ******** this idea that canada plays only a grinding game. they have incredibly high skill and 10 pp goals and the number of goals scored in the tourney speak to that. most of canada's best players possess a mixture of both size and skill and can thus play any style. they didn't need to trade chances with the US tonight. they just needed to beat them up physically and then take over the game - which they did. canada scored a few goals off the rush tonight too. if you're not prepared to battle physically with canada you are going to lose. a good example of this was the russia/canada quarters in the olympics.

the types of games that give canada fits are the teams that will trap them to death - and get great goaltending - like last night vs. Swiss - OR if they play an equally big team or a team with big forwards that can play physically and score - which some of russia's forwards can do

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
This Canada team doesn't have as much high end skill finish so the grind game is even more evident this year . They do have the right coach for that type of game.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
This Canada team doesn't have as much high end skill finish so the grind game is even more evident this year . They do have the right coach for that type of game.

their 4 goals tonight sure looked damn skillful against a team favored to win gold

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
their 4 goals tonight sure looked damn skillful against a team favored to win gold

It's not meant as a knock and they have scored a lot .....just meant no Hall,Tavares ect. That said tonight may be one of the most dominating games I,ve seen and this group work super hard and have great chemistry.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Bob isn't the only one that has known this for a while. The Americans always rely on speed and transition. Take that away and you get tonight's result. How did the U.S score most of their goals last year? Odd man rushes off turnovers and bad pinches. I don't think that happened more than two times tonight.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
What nonsensical rubbish.

I agree, it's too much of a blanket statement.

However, whatever motivates Canadian teams (heart, fear, etc.), Canadian teams do step up more often than they don't. Skill and talent take you so far, but then something else takes over.

I think calling it heart is demeaning to other nations, but there is something that gives Canada the edge in close games. What is it?

Bob McKenzie is correct in his assessments, but I think we sometimes downplay our skill because it is more Canadian to play the gritty game along the boards and in the corners. But don't all teams try to play physical and take the other team out of the game? Why does it work for Canada and not, for example, Sweden today?

Why does Canada elevate their game more often than not?

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
I agree, it's too much of a blanket statement.

However, whatever motivates Canadian teams (heart, fear, etc.), Canadian teams do step up more often than they don't. Skill and talent take you so far, but then something else takes over.

I think calling it heart is demeaning to other nations, but there is something that gives Canada the edge in close games. What is it?

Bob McKenzie is correct in his assessments, but I think we sometimes downplay our skill because it is more Canadian to play the gritty game along the boards and in the corners. But don't all teams try to play physical and take the other team out of the game? Why does it work for Canada and not, for example, Sweden today?

Why does Canada elevate their game more often than not?

Its simple actually. Its the fact that the Canadian players care about this particular tournament way more than anyone else. The world juniors is embedded in Canadians so much that any Canadian hockey player growing up dreams about playing in this tournament and views it has the best thing a hockey player can achieve before playing in the NHL and competing for the Stanley Cup. An American, Russian or Swede grow up wondering how far their hockey talent can take them and if it happens to lead them to the World Juniors then thats great, but its nothing close to the passion and desire that Canadians have for it.

Add the fact that the tournament is basically made for Canada to win. 1. It is played in Canada almost every year now. 2.When it isn't in Canada, it is in a border city in the U.S. so that Canadian fans can come and buy the tickets and sell-out games in NHL arenas.

The World Juniors likely wouldn't even exist if it were not for Canada

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Its simple actually. Its the fact that the Canadian players care about this particular tournament way more than anyone else. The world juniors is embedded in Canadians so much that any Canadian hockey player growing up dreams about playing in this tournament and views it has the best thing a hockey player can achieve before playing in the NHL and competing for the Stanley Cup. An American, Russian or Swede grow up wondering how far their hockey talent can take them and if it happens to lead them to the World Juniors then thats great, but its nothing close to the passion and desire that Canadians have for it.

Add the fact that the tournament is basically made for Canada to win. 1. It is played in Canada almost every year now. 2.When it isn't in Canada, it is in a border city in the U.S. so that Canadian fans can come and buy the tickets.

Some of this is fair, but we've been winning the majority of these things for a long time now, in Europe and in North America. I agree that it means more to us than it does to any other country, by a lot, and therefore the kids are brought up dreaming about playing in the tournament (and winning it).

milhouse7

Oct 17, 2010
Add the fact that the tournament is basically made for Canada to win. 1. It is played in Canada almost every year now. 2.When it isn't in Canada, it is in a border city in the U.S. so that Canadian fans can come and buy the tickets and sell-out games in NHL arenas.

Speaking of non-sensical rubbish.

Last year the tournament was suppose to be in Switzerland, but they turned it down for various reasons, so the only place that could take it on short notice was Canada. I imagine going forward, the rotation will be a bit more balanced, although there is no denying, financially the tournament is most profitable in Canada (or border city in US near Canada).

The World Juniors have been around since late 70's when the Soviets dominated the tournament since the players played together year round. It wasn't until the early 90s that Canada began to dominate the tournament, which coincided with the collapse of the Soviet Union. Then Canada went on another drought until the past 6 years when we began to field the best "team" instead of necessarily sending the best players like many other countries do. The shift in power tends to go in waves.

While the financial success may be dependent on Canada, it is definitely an international event, although not as highly regarded in other countries as in Canada.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
There's a reason the USA brass chose Keith Allain (head coach at Yale University) to be the US coach. He coaches a fast-paced, uptempo, score-on-the-rush style, and have the defense constantly pushing the offense at Yale, and he brought that to the US team, too.

You look at the players the US brought in, it's obvious they were going for this cohesive theme of team building. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Most of all, though, you need players who fit the system. I think this is what makes it work pretty well for the US.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Speaking of non-sensical rubbish.

Last year the tournament was suppose to be in Switzerland, but they turned it down for various reasons, so the only place that could take it on short notice was Canada. I imagine going forward, the rotation will be a bit more balanced, although there is no denying, financially the tournament is most profitable in Canada (or border city in US near Canada).

The World Juniors have been around since late 70's when the Soviets dominated the tournament since the players played together year round. It wasn't until the early 90s that Canada began to dominate the tournament, which coincided with the collapse of the Soviet Union. Then Canada went on another drought until the past 6 years when we began to field the best "team" instead of necessarily sending the best players like many other countries do. The shift in power tends to go in waves.

While the financial success may be dependent on Canada, it is definitely an international event, although not as highly regarded in other countries as in Canada.

Man, why do you think the tournament continues to be held in Canada and bordering U.S cities? All you have to do is look at the stands when it is held in Europe. It is a financial nightmare unless it is in a place where Canadian fans can sell out the building. It is absolutely NOT an international event. The only times the arenas in Europe are even a quater full is when the home team is playing.

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010
Media (TSN) will try to do anything they can to hype up games like this even more. Bob McKenzie is probably right in the contrast of styles but it's not like Canada can't play that speed style game either. Take a look at 2 of the goals tonight by Canada. One was off a rush created by the puck rimming around the boards and another on a breakaway by Kassian. Some of Canada's best chances in this game came off of odd man rushes and they had plenty of them in this game created by using speed.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Okay...fair enough... We are not in 2nd grade... Perhaps some evidence among NCAA D1 teams to support this answer... I believe students in college or at high levels of education has to support the answer with reason to gain a percentage of correct answer on the question...Even if the answer is right...
This is to make it hard for morons to gain % when it is undeserved.
I look forward to some Nationality %'s

If you want to know so badly, just look it up yourself.

For example, for the University of Minnesota on the roster of 26 players, 25 of them are American and the other one is Finnish.

On the other hand the University of North Dakota's roster this year has 23 players, 11 were American and 12 were Canadian.

The last example let's look at Cornell, an Ivy League school. Out of the 24 skaters, only 10 of them were American with 13 Canadians and one Belorussian.

So in short, I don't think the "majority" of the players are Canadian like the original guy said, but certainly a very large chunk.

NCPokey

Mar 2, 2007

The only thing I hate about international sports tournaments is when this sort of garbage starts being spewed. :baghead:

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream

I don't want to get into it too much but the only reason why the US was rated above canada this year was because of the high number of returning veterans. BUt look at the line up, how can people say any other team is fast, more talented and all around better. There may not be a Hall, Eberle or Tavares but look at Schenn, Johansen, Couturier, Hamilton, Leblanc, Ellis, I mean, they are talented they just don't have a couple superstar kids like most years, because they are in the NHL.

They are the best all around team in the tourney.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Speaking of Sports Telecasters...

I was out for dinner when I saw Doug Maclean at one of the tables. He is tall. A sharp dresser. Nice (white) hair.

I walked by and said :

"Mr Maclean... who is going to win tonight?"

He smiled and said "Canada" in a way that suggested there was no other choice.

I continued to walk away and said "Love your show."

He thanked me and I went on my merry way. Would have loved to talk hockey with him but... you never know when you are crossing the line.

He seemed like a very nice man. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad