Canada vs US in Playoffs

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I assume the Canadian NHL team could be vaccinated in the US as well while they're there, if they aren't by that point.

I posted this yesterday. The CDC lists these as *common* side effects of the vaccines:
  • Tiredness
  • Headache
  • Muscle pain
  • Chills
  • Fever
  • Nausea
If my team is lucky enough to come out of the North, the last thing I want is for the whole roster to be vaccinated during a 2 day layover.

Reactions: CaptBrannigan

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Is the vaccination process in Canada really THAT far behind the US that the Canadian teams aren't getting one anytime soon?

Yes.

Here in NJ, things have really opening up the past few weeks and everybody I know has at least gotten their first shot by now.

NHL players have to work in close quarters with other individuals and travel all across the country. Even with the equipment guys, coaches, etc. that travel with the team we're talking what - 40 guys or so per team or less than 300 people total in Canada? Is this really not an option to get them vaccinated soon?

You would be asking a health agency to prioritize young healthy men so they can play a game over front line workers, vulnerable people with underlying conditions and minorities in hotspots that are at a far higher risk. That's the reality and I can't imagine a single health official, politician or even the NHL would want anything to do with the optics behind that.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Forcing US teams to play in a bubble if they are all basically vaccinated is likely to be a pretty hard sell on its own, and I'm not sure its even an option for the NHL unless the players union gives its approval. (This is disregarding the revenue hit and impact on the atmosphere since essentially all the US team sites will have fans in the area by then if they don't already at this point.)

I agree with this. It's no different than what Dallas went through. Luck of the draw. Sorry, not sorry the Canadian team (hopefully mine) will have to deal with adversity to finish a hockey season during a pandemic/crisis. Our federal government should have done better, not the US teams' fault.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Go19

Jun 21, 2019
the Canadian team that makes the final 4 will set up shop in Buffalo
Imagine if the Leafs make the finals - I know that is hard - but IF they did , they would play the SCF in Buffalo with fans? I wouldn't want to be a border patrol agent along northern NY - people coming across the border would make the Mexican border look like an entrance to a library.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Imagine if the Leafs make the finals - I know that is hard - but IF they did , they would play the SCF in Buffalo? I wouldn't want to be a border patrol agent along northern NY - people coming across the border would make the Mexican border look like an entrance to a library.

I'm going on the record. I'll dive over the Falls and brave the whirlpool at the bottom to get there if we win!

Reactions: cowboy82nd and Go19

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Maybe like in some leagues where a 7 game series goes low seed for the first 3 games and then at the high seed's arena for the next 4

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Forcing US teams to play in a bubble if they are all basically vaccinated is likely to be a pretty hard sell on its own, and I'm not sure its even an option for the NHL unless the players union gives its approval. (This is disregarding the revenue hit and impact on the atmosphere since essentially all the US team sites will have fans in the area by then if they don't already at this point.)

Giving the U.S. teams an unfair home ice advantage should be a pretty hard sell to Canadian teams as well and should put a big asterisk on who wins the Cup. Setting up a bubble puts everybody on even ground, sort of like what they did with the NCAA college basketball tournament.

I guess you can say that it's a bit unfair for the team that finished ahead in the standings but still, I think putting this in a neutral setting is the most logical way to make it fair for all.

Reactions: WaveRaven

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don't think that'll happen.
So the Canadian team gets to play in a neutral arena while the U.S. team gets to play in their home arena? No way should that fly.

It'll probably be a bubble for the Final 4 and I'm surprised this hasn't been announced by the NHL yet unless they think somehow the quarantine rules will be lifted by June which seems like an impossibility at this point.

What's the difference between playing in a neutral arena versus if they would've been playing in their home arena with no fans? Other than the players won't be able to stay in their own homes.

They're not going to force the 3 other teams into bubble (especially the two teams that aren't playing the North division winner in the semi's) - which would cost a lot of money, be a major inconvenience for the other 3 teams (and thus probably wouldn't pass union approval) and cost those other 3 teams valuable playoff revenue.

If Toronto or Montreal advances, they can play in Buffalo. Edmonton or Winnipeg could maybe play in Minnesota if available or another open arena relatively close to the team they're playing to cut down on travel cost/time. Hell, you may be able to set them up in the rival team's arena for whoever they're playing - make the tickets somewhat affordable and you'd probably have a halfway decent atmosphere.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Giving the U.S. teams an unfair home ice advantage should be a pretty hard sell to Canadian teams as well and should put a big asterisk on who wins the Cup. Setting up a bubble puts everybody on even ground, sort of like what they did with the NCAA college basketball tournament.

I guess you can say that it's a bit unfair for the team that finished ahead in the standings but still, I think putting this in a neutral setting is the most logical way to make it fair for all.

NHLPA will never go for it and NHL doesn't want a bubble either as it'll cost them money and take away from the atmosphere.

Imagine being a Florida of Vegas fan and your team wins its first Cup this year on home ice, but fans couldn't experience any of it (or any of the final two rounds) because they set up a bubble to be "fair" to the Canadian team (which could still go out in the semi's for all we know).

The NCAA plays at pre-determined locations every year, so that's not even remotely comparable.

Reactions: Mordoch

Mordoch

Oct 19, 2019
Ultimately its probably going to be something the Canadian team has to deal with, because unless the players union says yes that's not going to happen, especially if its not truly a general safety issue. (The bubble was not popular with the players last year, and even if family could join them in practice there would be issues with this occurring in allot of cases.) The Canadian teams don't really have a choice here unless they want to forfeit the series in protest or something.

Something along the lines of the Canadian team playing their games in Buffalo or another somewhat neutral venue is probably what will happen. (You can of course always make the asterisk argument, but as you already admitted the argument could also apply if a team that finished ahead in the standings ends up losing in a bubble series of the like, so you don't escape the issue with that proposal anyways.)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What's the difference between playing in a neutral arena versus if they would've been playing in their home arena with no fans? Other than the players won't be able to stay in their own homes.

They're not going to force the 3 other teams into bubble (especially the two teams that aren't playing the North division winner in the semi's) - which would cost a lot of money, be a major inconvenience for the other 3 teams (and thus probably wouldn't pass union approval) and cost those other 3 teams valuable playoff revenue.

If Toronto or Montreal advances, they can play in Buffalo. Edmonton or Winnipeg could maybe play in Minnesota if available or another open arena relatively close to the team they're playing to cut down on travel cost/time. Hell, you may be able to set them up in the rival team's arena for whoever they're playing - make the tickets somewhat affordable and you'd probably have a halfway decent atmosphere.

There's still a home ice advantage with home teams having that comfort of being home for one, knowing how to use the dimensions of the rink to their advantage etc.
If you look at records across the league, there's still a home ice advantage even with limited to no fans.

Ultimately, they'll probably do what you mentioned, have the Canadian team based in one of the northern U.S. arenas due to the cost of playing in a bubble again but I do think there's an advantage to playing in your own arena beyond just fan support.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
There's still a home ice advantage with home teams having that comfort of being home for one, knowing how to use the dimensions of the rink to their advantage etc.
If you look at records across the league, there's still a home ice advantage even with limited to no fans.

Ultimately, they'll probably do what you mentioned, have the Canadian team based in one of the northern U.S. arenas due to the cost of playing in a bubble again but I do think there's an advantage to playing in your own arena beyond just fan support.

Well boo-frickin'-hoo. Sorry, but it's not the NHL's fault that Canada is so far behind on vaccinations, which will prevent a US-Canada series from taking place. I also don't think it's really all that much of an advantage anyway. Ultimately it's all a moot point though as there's zero chance of the NHLPA approving a bubble.

I'm a Devils fan, so two things:

1. Lou used to make his Devils playoff teams stay in a hotel the night before home playoff games to keep the player' focus on preparation for the game and eliminate any distractions at home. So in theory, being "on the road" for the home playoff games may not be all the bad.
2. The Devils are 4-16-3 at home this season and 10-5-3 on the road, so I don't know what you're talking about with this home ice advantage stuff ;)

Home teams also get last change, which would still remain, so tough to distinguish how much of an impact that plays versus other factors in home ice advantage.

The bigger question I have is how the NHL is going to handle a quarantine period (if necessary) for the Canadian team coming over to the US, especially if the North playoffs are delayed due to Vancouver's situation

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Imagine if the Leafs make the finals - I know that is hard - but IF they did , they would play the SCF in Buffalo with fans? I wouldn't want to be a border patrol agent along northern NY - people coming across the border would make the Mexican border look like an entrance to a library.

They can just get a negative covid test, fly to the US, stay until the playoffs are over and then deal with a stay at home quarantine if they cross back over by land. Its inconvenient but I'm sure there are fans who would put up with it. I mean if you are a fan of any of the top four you are thinking just how much would tickets for a home conference finals game cost and could I possibly even get them? This scenario of going to a neutral site saves you money.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

I'm just imagining a Canadian asterisk and what it would look like. Is it maple-leaf shaped instead of the standard asterisk shape?

Sorry but only fans of the North winner will cry over this one. No one wants empty arenas. Even at 25% capacity games look and sound so much better with fans. By end of May we could see some 50% arenas and also could see some full sections close to the ice for those who prove they are vaccinated. Who would prefer empty sections and the sound of echos in the building instead of that?

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I’d imagine a final four bubble or a designated “home” city for the Canadian team are the only realistic options.

Cross border travel appears to be not realistic unfortunately.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
They should do it in a bubble. I want to say in the US from the leagues perspective, but doing it in Canada would be safer.
Just curious as to why it would be safer. If all players, coaches, and personnel are tested daily (which they are), it shouldn’t matter where the location is. If everyone is negative, they’re not getting it.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
The ability to have gate revenue will almost certainly guarantee that the bubble is in the US. Just a matter of where - maybe Chicago or Detroit? I presume it will be somewhere the final four teams aren't from so they don't have the appearance of home ice advantage.

I suppose they could also go the MLB route and have the Canadian team temporarily set up in a US city, but it would suck a little to have like 7 away games with opposing fans and the occasional last change.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
What's the big deal? The Leafs will win the North, so we're only looking at four or five games before it's down to just US teams.

KIDDING!

If things continue to improve faster down south, I can see all the last two round played there.

A nearby location, like Buffalo for Toronto, might work, or the nearest rink to their opponent.

I don't see the extreme bubble like last year.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Just curious as to why it would be safer. If all players, coaches, and personnel are tested daily (which they are), it shouldn’t matter where the location is. If everyone is negative, they’re not getting it.

When it comes to getting food or any small travel, I'd imagine it would be safer just because of how much lower the case count is here in Canada.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
With the new variants
It’s going to be difficult to avoid some kind disruption beyond what Vancouver is dealing with

the timing of the new surges in places is just not good

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The bubble should be in Minnesota. Its like Mad max thunderdome down there anyways. Two teams enter one team leaves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad