Canada vs US in Playoffs

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
Per capita is exponentially more dangerous. The US has about 8x the population of Canada, it is almost always going to have more cases

American specific example.
Let's compare California and Michigan
View attachment 422681
California has 4x the population of Michigan , but Michigan is clearly a more dangerous place to catch Covid right now.

The question is: Where are the current hot spots and how can they be avoided

Are you kidding me with this?

No, I meant Canadian arenas are in more populated areas within Canada, not in relation to American NHL teams, but thank you for the information

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
frozen four bubble maybe. Aren't some teams vaccinated? I heard recently the Avs got vaccinated as a team. Maybe the 4 Canadian teams can get vaccinated if you make the playoffs. However, I'm ignorant of the vaccine situation in Canada. I'm just guessing American teams will want to sell playoff tickets so i could see some owners fight against a bubble. Especially in states where vaccines are open to everyone.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
frozen four bubble maybe. Aren't some teams vaccinated? I heard recently the Avs got vaccinated as a team. Maybe the 4 Canadian teams can get vaccinated if you make the playoffs. However, I'm ignorant of the vaccine situation in Canada. I'm just guessing American teams will want to sell playoff tickets so i could see some owners fight against a bubble. Especially in states where vaccines are open to everyone.
the bolded will very likely be a sticking point.
I am guessing some kind of revenue sharing will have be worked out. I don't know what the MLB did , but the games were in neutral sites and the WS had both Dodgers and Rays fans

Go19

Jun 21, 2019
You have to vaccinate now - it takes 2 shots of Moderna - 4 weeks apart or Pfizer 3 weeks - then both of those don't come to full efficacy until 2 weeks after the second shot. J&J is the one shot - not sure on the others (AZ, etc) - but if I recall all of them need a few weeks after to reach full efficacy. So you should start now.

Have they allowed and/or shutdown the J&J in Canada like they have in the US for now because of the blood clots?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Cross that bridge when we come to it. Who knows what the landscape will look like in June.
Indeed.

With a higher % of new cases popping up in Canada there's no easy solution here.

I'm thinking there might be a 'neutral' bubble site here in the States that will see the 4 Division champs square off...It'll likely last for 4 weeks.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

“Vaccinated people may have less severe illness if they do become ill from COVID-19.”

“COVID-19 vaccines are effective at keeping you from getting COVID-19.”

Our governments are telling us different things, the top quote is from Canada, they are saying it doesn’t prevent you from getting it and have been pushing quarantines even for people who do get vaccinated. My wife went to the hospital during one of the media reported spikes, with the warnings about hospitals being overrun, and she told me it was a ghost town.

I don’t know what to believe anymore.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Anyone saying that Canada is safer at this point is living in 2020. Canada is getting destroyed by variants and a terribly slow vaccine rollout.

Have the US host a final four tournament bubble with no crowd or in a neutral arena. It’s no less unfair than Toronto and Edmonton hosting games last year (and both of those teams were easy outs)

Reactions: HBK27

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
“Vaccinated people may have less severe illness if they do become ill from COVID-19.”

“COVID-19 vaccines are effective at keeping you from getting COVID-19.”

Our governments are telling us different things, the top quote is from Canada, they are saying it doesn’t prevent you from getting it and have been pushing quarantines even for people who do get vaccinated. My wife went to the hospital during one of the media reported spikes, with the warnings about hospitals being overrun, and she told me it was a ghost town.

I don’t know what to believe anymore.

There's nothing actually wrong with those two statements. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have a 80-90% effectiveness at preventing COVID from taking hold.

But that isn't 100%, you can still get it, you just won't have severe illness if you do.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I assume the Canadian NHL team could be vaccinated in the US as well while they're there, if they aren't by that point.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
You have to vaccinate now - it takes 2 shots of Moderna - 4 weeks apart or Pfizer 3 weeks - then both of those don't come to full efficacy until 2 weeks after the second shot. J&J is the one shot - not sure on the others (AZ, etc) - but if I recall all of them need a few weeks after to reach full efficacy. So you should start now.

Have they allowed and/or shutdown the J&J in Canada like they have in the US for now because of the blood clots?
I got the J&J so it slips my mind often that it was 2 weeks for me but for the rest it was longer.

I think their could be revenue split neutral site maybe. Hard to be completely neutral if Canadian fans can't travel though.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Anyone saying that Canada is safer at this point is living in 2020. Canada is getting destroyed by variants and a terribly slow vaccine rollout.

Have the US host a final four tournament bubble with no crowd or in a neutral arena. It’s no less unfair than Toronto and Edmonton hosting games last year (and both of those teams were easy outs)

Just can't help yourself can you. Diffident much?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
There's nothing actually wrong with those two statements. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have a 80-90% effectiveness at preventing COVID from taking hold.

But that isn't 100%, you can still get it, you just won't have severe illness if you do.

Well, one literally says vaccines prevent you from getting Covid 19. The other says you may get less ill if you get it following vaccination.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Given it is playoffs and the absolute atrocity of the decision making, power wielding folks in Canada - There is no chance we will have clear border crossing regulations until at least the fall IMO.

This will generate a scenario where the only "fair" situation is to have a neutral location for all 7 Games in any layoff Series involving a Canadian Team (past the first 2 rounds that is) - Ex: Conference Final MTL vs. TB all games in Series in _____ US NHL City no longer in Playoffs and repeat in SCF if MTL advances. The ability for one team to play in its home barn, with home fans, sleeping in there own beds with there families is too much of an advantage IMO

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Is the vaccination process in Canada really THAT far behind the US that the Canadian teams aren't getting one anytime soon?

Here in NJ, things have really opening up the past few weeks and everybody I know has at least gotten their first shot by now.

NHL players have to work in close quarters with other individuals and travel all across the country. Even with the equipment guys, coaches, etc. that travel with the team we're talking what - 40 guys or so per team or less than 300 people total in Canada? Is this really not an option to get them vaccinated soon?

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I assume the Canadian team who advances will have to move to the US to play out the remainder of their playoff games until they are eliminated.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Considering there is only one Canadian team and 3 US teams, I don’t think Canada is a likely venue.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
One time speculation is that the Canadian team could head to the states, using one of the non-playoff teams' arena as their home arena. I don't mind that idea.

I don't think that'll happen.
So the Canadian team gets to play in a neutral arena while the U.S. team gets to play in their home arena? No way should that fly.

It'll probably be a bubble for the Final 4 and I'm surprised this hasn't been announced by the NHL yet unless they think somehow the quarantine rules will be lifted by June which seems like an impossibility at this point.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Is the vaccination process in Canada really THAT far behind the US that the Canadian teams aren't getting one anytime soon?

Here in NJ, things have really opening up the past few weeks and everybody I know has at least gotten their first shot by now.

NHL players have to work in close quarters with other individuals and travel all across the country. Even with the equipment guys, coaches, etc. that travel with the team we're talking what - 40 guys or so per team or less than 300 people total in Canada? Is this really not an option to get them vaccinated soon?
Yes we're THAT far behind, I have a ton of American friends in their 20's and they all got their vaccines a while ago. My grandpa was finally able to get his just last week, my parents won't be able to get theirs for a while, and God knows when I'll be able to.

Mordoch

Oct 19, 2019
I don't think that'll happen.
So the Canadian team gets to play in a neutral arena while the U.S. team gets to play in their home arena? No way should that fly.

It'll probably be a bubble for the Final 4 and I'm surprised this hasn't been announced by the NHL yet unless they think somehow the quarantine rules will be lifted by June which seems like an impossibility at this point.
Forcing US teams to play in a bubble if they are all basically vaccinated is likely to be a pretty hard sell on its own, and I'm not sure its even an option for the NHL unless the players union gives its approval. (This is disregarding the revenue hit and impact on the atmosphere since essentially all the US team sites will have fans in the area by then if they don't already at this point.)

Reactions: HBK27

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Are you kidding me with this?

Not all US teams are in giant population centres. I think you're right but it's not that far off. Most Canadian teams play in good sized metro population areas at least comparable to US teams.

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
Well, one literally says vaccines prevent you from getting Covid 19. The other says you may get less ill if you get it following vaccination.

Both statements are true and not at all mutually exclusive. One says the vaccines are effective. The vaccines have ~90-95% efficacy rate. Note the common root in these two words. The other statement says they lessen the symptoms should a receiver of the vaccine be profoundly unfortunate.

This is public and common knowledge and your post reeks of antivax concern trolling

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad