Canada vs US in Playoffs

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
No the Canadian government wont I feel. If I had to guess I would say they will be playing the last few rounds of the playoffs in the US. Most likely in a bubble as well. Last thing NHL wants is for the Canucks situation to occur mid playoffs. Thats just my two cents anyways seeing as you asked.

Reactions: SenzZen

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
They should do it in a bubble. I want to say in the US from the leagues perspective, but doing it in Canada would be safer.

Reactions: nturn06

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
This would only happen for 1 of the "ECF or 'WCF".

Bubble time for sure.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ive been quite curious about this too.
The Canadian Team coming out of the division will be at a substantial disadvantage if they have to play all there games in the opposing teams home arena, especially with many US Cities allowing Fans
Probably the most logical solution. For the games where the Canadian team is designated as the home team, there should be no fans in the arena to keep it fair.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Too much money and excitement from having the fans in the arena. I think they just send the team to Buffalo and allow fans there. If its the Leafs or Canadiens there will be plenty of supporters on the US side of the border buying tickets.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
My suggestion would be to have a week off after the second round. It would be needed for quarantine rules crossing borders for the Canadian team. Have that Canadian team play at a neutral arena in the States.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
They really can't commit to anything too soon as things are changing all the time.
A bubble would be the absolute last solution as it was very expensive last time.
Yep. Probably best to have several plans in place, ready to adapt to the current situation in near-time.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
One time speculation is that the Canadian team could head to the states, using one of the non-playoff teams' arena as their home arena. I don't mind that idea.

That would be horrible. I state they need to create a bubble for the last 4 teams preferably in Canada.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
With only about 2 months until Round 3, there’s just no way the restrictions are lifted particularly after what happened with the canucks.

Will be very interesting to see what the league does. Will they pick 1 random centrally located place (say Chicago or Columbus) and have the Canadian team play there?

Or will the location depend upon where the Canadian team is (either TOR or EDM) or where their 3rd round opponent is?

One really cool/smart option would be for the league to put the Canadian team in Seattle and let them use the Kraken arena if it’s ready. That could go a long way to generating fan support in a new market by giving them intense playoff hockey.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
They should do it in a bubble. I want to say in the US from the leagues perspective, but doing it in Canada would be safer.
You may have read it wrong, the US has close to 7M active cases at the moment. Canada has more cases per capita now than the US, but the total number of cases is significantly smaller.

Lol what? Per capita is certainly the more significant measure in determining which is safer, the vaccines are also far more widespread in the US than Canada

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
You may have read it wrong, the US has close to 7M active cases at the moment. Canada has more cases per capita now than the US, but the total number of cases is significantly smaller.
oh jeeze you right

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Cross that bridge when we come to it. Who knows what the landscape will look like in June.
Are you serious here?
The makeup games are a variable but there is less than a month left in the (planned) regular season .

There are going to be increased complications with the Canadian border and issues like possible quarantines. This isn't a school project than that be eek'd out in a few hours time to plan in now , not at 11:59pm the day before.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
Lol what? Per capita is certainly the more significant measure in determining which is safer, the vaccines are also far more widespread in the US than Canada

In his defense, I did claim that Canada has more active cases right now than the US, which as it turns out is incorrect

It's harder to say whether per capita vs active cases makes an environment like the NHL playoffs more dangerous. I suspect you might be right just because the Canadian teams play in metropolitan areas, but i'm hardly an epidemiologist or 8th-grade-level reader

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
It's harder to say whether per capita vs active cases makes an environment like the NHL playoffs more dangerous.
Per capita is exponentially more dangerous. The US has about 8x the population of Canada, it is almost always going to have more cases

American specific example.
Let's compare California and Michigan
upload_2021-4-15_10-44-10.png

California has 4x the population of Michigan , but Michigan is clearly a more dangerous place to catch Covid right now.

The question is: Where are the current hot spots and how can they be avoided

I suspect you might be right just because the Canadian teams play in more metropolitan areas,
Are you kidding me with this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad