GDT: Canada vs Sweden Friday August 5th 1 pm eastern TSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Not at all....but I watch hockey....not just the puck.

He has had a good game.....I never said great now did I?

He has had a very good 3rd period.

Only caught a little of the 2nd and about half the 3rd, Marner looked creative in the offensive zone to me (a couple of wide open cages missed from less than 5 feet by Strome off of Marner passes) but seemed to feel the pressure when carrying the puck. The Swedes played a very aggressive game but not more aggressive than a good NHL team.....Marner needs to put on some weight so he can thrive in the crowded areas better, got squeezed out on the boards a bunch

BWDude

Nov 13, 2015
I know its summer and these games are pretty much meaningless, but what is with these Canadian teams and Marner that just doesn't seem to work?

Like Memorial Cup- Marner with the cross ice pass, goal, with the slap pass like in the last minute there, goal.

In the Leafs prospect camp- Marner with the cross ice pass to Grundstrom, goal.

On this Canadian squad- Marner with the cross ice pass, saved, slap pass, fanned?

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
nice to get some hockey this time of year with a peek at Marner.

Its a meaningless game so no need to read too much into it. Canada didnt get goaltending and Sweden did. Felix Sandstrom looked especially good

Mr Hockey*

Only caught a little of the 2nd and about half the 3rd, Marner looked creative in the offensive zone to me (a couple of wide open cages missed from less than 5 feet by Strome off of Marner passes) but seemed to feel the pressure when carrying the puck. The Swedes played a very aggressive game but not more aggressive than a good NHL team.....Marner needs to put on some weight so he can thrive in the crowded areas better, got squeezed out on the boards a bunch

Halfway through the 3rd he turned it up a notch, kind of like that last game in the WJC. If he goes to Leaf camp and plays like he did most of this game, he is back in London.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
what am i missing or is this a game?

It is not a game.....you only mentioned that Babs said he had a good PP shift as an attack.....I said he said something vastly more important.

He said he liked the attention to detail in his game.....something Babcock is very obsessive about. He is making the Leafs 100%.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
It is not a game.....you only mentioned that Babs said he had a good PP shift as an attack.....I said he said something vastly more important.

He said he liked the attention to detail in his game.....something Babcock is very obsessive about. He is making the Leafs 100%.

I think there is little doubt that Marner will make the Leafs to start the season... the question is, will he stick with the team?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Halfway through the 3rd he turned it up a notch, kind of like that last game in the WJC. If he goes to Leaf camp and plays like he did most of this game, he is back in London.

I thought the lack of weight was apparent in this game. Still looked good with the puck and space, and looked good without the puck, but trying to carry through traffic was an issue and almost looked a little gun shy about playing in the dirty areas....maybe trying not to get hurt in August exhibition going into his first possible year in the NHL

Maybe Nylander can take some time off of instagram and show Mitch how to "leg day"

Mr Hockey*

what i see ...

I possibly dont even see him finishing camp with the leafs ... He has the size, strength, skill, hockey iq, etc to make it but there is a mental block holding him back. The last two periods of the last WJC against the Finns? he dominated the ice! He has to understand if he just goes up and down the wing he is going to see some AHL time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
what i see ...

I possibly dont even see him finishing camp with the leafs ... He has the size, strength, skill, hockey iq, etc to make it but there is a mental block holding him back. The last two periods of the last WJC against the Finns? he dominated the ice! He has to understand if he just goes up and down the wing he is going to see some AHL time.

But those represent 2 games against how many Mitch has played over the past 365 days? And even using those examples most people would agree that his performance against the Finns was a decent one

Mr Hockey*

But those represent 2 games against how many Mitch has played over the past 365 days? And even using those examples most people would agree that his performance against the Finns was a decent one

I am talking the last WJC-U20 ... Remember the last game when Mitch took the game over and dominated and almost scored 3 goals in the third period. If Mitch can bring that compete level to every game, he then would be to good for the OHL and would easily make the Leafs next season.

The game today against sweden he play ok, nothing special ... meh

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I wouldn't put one iota of stock into these games for Marner. He's a Leaf this season and he's better off with the team even as a 13th forward. The practices alone would be a game changer for his development

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I wouldn't put one iota of stock into these games for Marner. He's a Leaf this season and he's better off with the team even as a 13th forward. The practices alone would be a game changer for his development

exactly. it's like some people forget that part.

Mr Hockey*

It just gives you an idea of where he is at, I am sure half of the leafs managment that were there hardly paid attention :help:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
It just gives you an idea of where he is at, I am sure half of the leafs managment that were there hardly paid attention :help:

it doesn't give you any idea of anything. Leafs mnmt is seeing what every other person who realizes what hockey in august is seeing. guys not in mid season form

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Or the notion that this WJC development camp is a chance for younger, bubble players to make an impression and maybe crack the roster for this upcoming WJC tourney. Marner is a lock for this team, if he's not on the Leafs, so he doesn't necessarily have to go all out and dominate. Especially in a meaningless summer exhibition game.

MSG*

Really. A free pass? I did not see an NHL strong player today. It is questionable if he has elite skill with his peers just like the last WJHC where he was a PP guy. Nobody mentions that anymore. Funny.

MSG*

Or the notion that this WJC development camp is a chance for younger, bubble players to make an impression and maybe crack the roster for this upcoming WJC tourney. Marner is a lock for this team, if he's not on the Leafs, so he doesn't necessarily have to go all out and dominate. Especially in a meaningless summer exhibition game.

That's true but his physicality is more than obvious. Wonder how it will be in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad