OT: Canada at the FIFA World Cup stage - support our team

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Spoke too soon.

Football is the best sport. Hockey is a close second.

Hockey is also filled with diving. The whole "football sucks because of diving" is just people not wanting to watch which is fine. Just say you don't like it, don't give a BS reason.

That attitude is why some people can't stand some soccer fans. There is no best sport. Its whatever speaks to you, and is best for you.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
One thing…. NOT a fan of determining the WC Championship game, with penalties.

imagine game 7 of the SCF going to a shootout…..

Reactions: DrEasy and Xspyrit

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The best player in the world is in this game and it isn't Messi
Mbappe isn't the best player in the world while Messi is around.

Messi is older so he's been less impactful as the game has gone on but he's still top dog overall.

That attitude is why some people can't stand some soccer fans. There is no best sport. Its whatever speaks to you, and is best for you.
Games that don't stop are better than those that do.

This is why runball and baseball are awful.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Messi is older so he's been less impactful as the game has gone on but he's still top dog overall.

In your opinion.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

Ya the guy with 3 goals in the final game of the world cup whose team was down by 2 is not the best player in the world.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Ya the guy with 3 goals in the final game of the world cup whose team was down by 2 is not the best player in the world.
I mean two of his goals were PKs. A hattrick is a hattrick but PKs are not real goals.

I think Messi has been clearly more impactful this game. He was instrumental in both non PK goals his team scored.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I mean two of his goals were PKs. A hattrick is a hattrick but PKs are not real goals.

I think Messi has been clearly more impactful this game. He was instrumental in both non PK goals his team scored.
This is his last shot at a WC which he has never won so obviously he's got an extra gear here today Mbappe is 23 with a WC already and will very likely win at least one more in his career.

Congrats Messi!

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
For everything that overshadowed this World Cup, I’d say this is the best and most entertaining I’ve witnessed in my life.

Qatar did a tremendous job. Messi v. Mbappe was a treat. I don’t watch football but this makes me consider otherwise.

Reactions: armani

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
For everything that overshadowed this World Cup, I’d say this is the best and most entertaining I’ve witnessed in my life.

Qatar did a tremendous job. Messi v. Mbappe was a treat. I don’t watch football but this makes me consider otherwise.
The biggest issue for football for North America is the time difference since MLS is basically minor league compared to the European leagues. The level of play in MLS is rather poor, hopefully it keeps improving.

This is his last shot at a WC which he has never won so obviously he's got an extra gear here today Mbappe is 23 with a WC already and will very likely win at least one more in his career.

Congrats Messi!
To be clear Mbappe is unreal and will be the undisputed best player going forward. I just think Messi proved he was still top dog this WC.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
The biggest issue for football for North America is the time difference since MLS is basically minor league compared to the European leagues. The level of play in MLS is rather poor, hopefully it keeps improving.

To be clear Mbappe is unreal and will be the undisputed best player going forward. I just think Messi proved he was still top dog this WC.
MLS will keep improving as long as fans keep going, money is being poured in so overtime the quality will get better, but it will never be able to compete with euro leagues obviously. Not to mention you never know what some of these super rich Chinese or Middle eastern people will do. They might keep buying up all the teams or they might keep pouring money into their own leagues and take players.

Messi won this WC and sure proved he's top dog here today. Happy for him to get a WC added to his list it will really help solidify his legacy. Messi will go down as the GOAT or one of the GOAT's.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Pretty much yeah.

France look like impostors.

For the record, I despise both teams.

Well, it was pretty much the France B team, like worse than NHL teams during pre-season. They were literally decimated by injuries that only 4-5 titulars were playing and 2 of them were done after the first half as they were sick apparently. They still made it a game to lose in the shootout

Knowing that Pogba, Hernandez, Pavard, Kante and Benzema were not even going to participate in the tournament; I didn't even think they'd make the 1/4 finals

What is your team by the way?

I can't stand the world cup and soccer in general. Filled with too many primadonnas faking injuries, bunch of p***yes

It's true that many players dive (like how ARG got their first penalty LOL) but people dive in other sports too, like hockey. But seriously, it's really easy to get hurt. They are running at full speed and have barely any protection. Cleats from a tackle can hurt like crazy (I experienced it). Head to head contact is also a concussion risk (apparently Rabiot left the game because of that). It's much more physical than people think

Reactions: DrEasy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
MLS will keep improving as long as fans keep going, money is being poured in so overtime the quality will get better, but it will never be able to compete with euro leagues obviously. Not to mention you never know what some of these super rich Chinese or Middle eastern people will do. They might keep buying up all the teams or they might keep pouring money into their own leagues and take players.

Messi won this WC and sure proved he's top dog here today. Happy for him to get a WC added to his list it will really help solidify his legacy. Messi will go down as the GOAT or one of the GOAT's.
One thing is certain. The best players in Football are going to be making BANK as the sport grows in nontraditional markets.

The NHL is going to be green with envy haha.

What is your team by the way?
I mostly watch international Football. I cheer for Belgium and Netherlands. I guess Canada as well now.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
What a crazy final. I’ve watched a few World Cup games, I’m coming around to enjoying football.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
One thing…. NOT a fan of determining the WC Championship game, with penalties.

imagine game 7 of the SCF going to a shootout…..

This. But also if it was elimination in OT, Argentina would still have won as they scored first in OT

I think there was only 3 France titulars left in the 2nd period and Mbappe still brought this to the penalty shots. It's like Stutzle, Hamonic and Talbot with the rest filled with the AHL team taking the game 7 to double OT.

I mostly watch international Football. I cheer for Belgium and Netherlands. I guess Canada as well now.

I'm French-Italian so guess my teams lol. However I boycotted Italy for years after what happened in 2006 (my family has ties with Zidane family so imagine)

Last edited:

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I think there was only 3 France titulars left in the 2nd period and Mbappe still brought this to the penalty shots. It's like Stutzle, Hamonic and Talbot with the rest filled with the AHL team taking the game 7 to double OT.
He's 23 and unreal easily the best player in football today imo.

One thing is certain. The best players in Football are going to be making BANK as the sport grows in nontraditional markets.

The NHL is going to be green with envy haha.

NHL is run so poorly when it comes to growth and has been run that way since the dawn of time.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
It’s misleading how penalty shots during the game (that can be taken by anyone) count towards individual goal totals.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Finally the “he hasn’t won a wc” argument can end. The greatest to ever do it. And cristiano is there with him.

Passing of the torch today for sure. I don’t know if Mbappe will become Messi or Ronaldo but he is absolutely the best in the world and the next best in the world. Don’t know if there’s Even a prospect to challenge him. Haaland and maybe endrick who Madrid just bought

Reactions: armani

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He's 23 and unreal easily the best player in football today imo.

He makes 128 M$ a year lol

Have you seen his speed records too?

Anyway not mad considering the whole context, finals is much better than I hoped before the tournament due to injuries

I missed watching Pogba in the WC

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

You’re late haha. You missed Messi and Ronaldo. Literally two Wayne Gretzky’s of the sport doing things legitimately thought impossible. Having seasons at OVER a goal per game.
It’s a shame people picked a side and hated the other for so long. I watched as much of both as I possibly could. Not sure we will see the like again. (Of course we will someone always comes along) but I’m sorry you missed out on them

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
He makes 128 M$ a year lol

Have you seen his speed records too?

Anyway not mad considering the whole context, finals is much better than I hoped before the tournament due to injuries

I missed watching Pogba in the WC
Italy is my team so I am no fan of the French football team, but I give credit where credit is f***ing due. Mbappe is unreal. He likely carries France to another WC in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad