OT: Canada at the FIFA World Cup stage - support our team

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Just came back from England v France and couple others. Atmosphere was electric. Qatar did an unfreakingbelievable job. Was surreal experience and hospitality.

The Argentine fans are insane, lol. Really hope Messi doesn't win.

Reactions: armani and DrEasy

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Palestinians starve, The Lebanese stave. There are Egyptians who live in cemeteries. Egypt has ghettos that make Brazilian favels seem posh. Syria is a hell hole. There is mass starvation in Yemin. Iraq is another hell hole!!!!!

Is there a sound, sane reason to do this? 220 billion f'ng dollars, so that the Emir and his 100 kids can be entertained. 400-500 dead migrant workers. The world gasped at Brazil 2014 and its 50 billion. then it gasped again at Russia's 2018 and its 50 billion...

220...the world, the Arab world, the Qataris should be chocking.. Un-f'ng real.

and even if you remove the Arab issue out. Just focus on sanity... what insane human believes that it is okay to waste money on this? 220 billion dollars at $100 a covid shot, is 2.2 billion shots. It effectively could have given the vaccine to 1/3 of the adult population of this world. Covid and the Arab world will never be revealed. It was a slaughter.

220 billion dollars at 3%, over a 50 year period, would have meant ~ 1 trillion dollars. And would have given every Qatari (assuming a population increase of 2.5%.) 285 K ...instead it is spent on waste, on construction companies owned by the royals and on foreigners.... a world cup generates about 8 billion in revenue..they are 212 billion down. The 8 billion is principally fifa's, so we are back up to 220 billion.

3rd world totalitarian nations..gotta love them. Old Jean Drapeau screwed MTL over with the 76 olympics.. 1.5 billion...well at 3% and now 46 years, we are talking a whopping 4.5 billion in today's dollar. only 215.5 billion off of Qatar.

let's hope the mod keep this up until you see it.

Spoken with a huge spoonful of ignorance. Have you seen Qatar before and after? Much, MUCH of the investment was for Qatar as a whole. It pushed significant deadlines and projects ahead of schedule which were planned far before the World Cup. They created BRAND NEW state of the art metro system. Brand New Airport. Expansion of old top tier airport. They created cities that are now going to be housing hundreds of thousands of people in each district (particularly Lusail). This was not a World Cup move, this was a transformational shift to a new direction where they wish to be leading forefront of knowledge, innovation, and different investors of energy (non-renewable primarily). They spent only 7-10 billion on stadiums. Significant portion of the rest is completely upheaval of the country itself. It is also donating all the seats in every stadium to nations that need it. They have recycling projects already established for the completion of these projects. They'll transform a couple into hotels. Aside from the many new ones they have built. Qatar is going to be on the map very soon for a whole lot more than just the World Cup they hosting.

With demand for LNG surging alongside Europe’s energy crisis, the country has embarked on an almost $50 billion project to expand capacity by more than 60% before the end of the decade. Capital Economics predicts that the expansion will boost its GDP by 25% by the end of 2027.

Largest Projects Ahead of the World Cup​

Qatar says event deadline sped their delivery
Sources: Bloomberg Intelligence (2019 report); Ashghal, Qatar’s Public Works Authority

A brand new metro system, a modern shipping port, an expansion of its main airport and the construction of a planned city north of Doha have transformed the country. Authorities say that much of the construction was already under consideration, but that the World Cup pushed up the timeline.

How will the 2022 FIFA World Cup Impact Qatar?

Financial Analysts all across the World have estimated that Qatar’s GDP will rise by 4.1% by the end of 2022. The country’s GDP will grow by an average of 3.2% annually between 2022 and 2030. The tournament would contribute about $20 billion to the country’s economy.

Reactions: thinkwild

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Just came back from England v France and couple others. Atmosphere was electric. Qatar did an unfreakingbelievable job. Was surreal experience and hospitality.

The Argentine fans are insane, lol. Really hope Messi doesn't win.

Happy for you RKL (and a bit envious). I have been to South Africa 2010, absolutely the best experience ever. Not an Argentina fan, France being my other team besides Canada, but won’t mind if Messi lifts the trophy. He is still magic despite his age.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Looks like Messi will be headed to the finals again. Don't mind seeing him win a WC. Would make Messi v Ronaldo goat discussions even more fun.

Good on Croatia, very good tournament played and Modric continued to show why he's one of the best mid fielders of his generation

Reactions: Tuna99

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Looks like Messi will be headed to the finals again. Don't mind seeing him win a WC. Would make Messi v Ronaldo goat discussions even more fun.

Good on Croatia, very good tournament played and Modric continued to show why he's one of the best mid fielders of his generation

Want to see Messi win it and Messi play his best.

Reactions: bicboi64

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
the spirit of man
1671307173232.jpeg

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
lol game was over after 21 minutes

Funny thing is I met a guy from Honduras earlier this week and he was complaining, bitching, hating on Quatar, Messi, the FIFA, the World Cup, etc and was saying how ridiculous it was all these penalty kicks Argentina was getting. Messi scored on on in each elimination game

And yet it happened agin, Dembele barely touched Dimaria, who realized his arm got touched so he "fell" on the ground

lol the Honduras guy CALLED IT. If France can miraculously tie the game, they would find a way to give Messi another penalty kick
France is getting utterly is dominated, they are outmatched.

Reactions: senswon

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Don't think it was too much a question before, but now there really is an unquestionable GOAT.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I can't stand the world cup and soccer in general. Filled with too many primadonnas faking injuries, bunch of p***yes
People “dislike” or “can’t stand” sports they’re not familiar with, because it was not a big part of their upbringing or culture. As for the dislike of Football or what some of people call soccer….. these people are in the minority.

Football, by far is the most popular sport on the planet, and is gaining traction in North America.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
People “dislike” or “can’t stand” sports they’re not familiar with, because it was not a big part of their upbringing or culture. As for the dislike of Football or what some of people call soccer….. these people are in the minority.

Football, by far is the most popular sport on the planet, and is gaining traction in North America.

I don't care if it's the most popular? My upbringing was filled with soccer fanatics so I don't need you to try to re-write my childhood thanks.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
And just like that!

riviting

I don't care if it's the most popular? My upbringing was filled with soccer fanatics so I don't need you to try to re-write my childhood thanks.
did not single you out, or direct it at anyone in particular….. geesh, thin skin

Reactions: senswon

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Or its also possible that people like or dislike certain sports because of what they you know, like and appreciate about sports?

Curling is a big part of Canadian culture. And i find it to be the most boring sport in the world. Except for maybe soccer.

And just because something is popular doesn't make it good. How many CD's has nickleback sold?

Reactions: Pierre from Orleans

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Spoke too soon.

Or its also possible that people like or dislike certain sports because of what they you know, like and appreciate about sports?

Curling is a big part of Canadian culture. And i find it to be the most boring sport in the world. Except for maybe soccer.

And just because something is popular doesn't make it good. How many CD's has nickleback sold?
Football is the best sport. Hockey is a close second.

Hockey is also filled with diving. The whole "football sucks because of diving" is just people not wanting to watch which is fine. Just say you don't like it, don't give a BS reason.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Spoke too soon.

Football is the best sport. Hockey is a close second.

Hockey is also filled with diving. The whole "football sucks because of diving" is just people not wanting to watch which is fine. Just say you don't like it, don't give a BS reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad