WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Things look pretty good for Canada right now. Czech Republic is probably the most favourable matchup that Canada could have realistically hoped for. If Canada wins that game, it is either USA or Sweden, neither of which has looked exceptional. If Canada can get back to activating the defencemen as quickly as possible I like the chances in the next match and the subsequent match. My hope is that two players in particular live up to what was expected of them. Clague has just been bad, honestly at this point below Bean. We all know that it is perplexing that he is getting these top minutes while Makar sits between powerplays. Hart also hasn't impressed. He's been fine, but just fine. Even in the game today against Switzerland the second goal that he allowed and the one where the ref blew the whistle too quickly he looked shaky. I don't think that Canada is going to need Hart to stand on his head at any point, especially with every goaltender in the tournament looking highly beatable, but it would be nice.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Things look pretty good for Canada right now. Czech Republic is probably the most favourable matchup that Canada could have realistically hoped for. If Canada wins that game, it is either USA or Sweden, neither of which has looked exceptional. If Canada can get back to activating the defencemen as quickly as possible I like the chances in the next match and the subsequent match. My hope is that two players in particular live up to what was expected of them. Clague has just been bad, honestly at this point below Bean. We all know that it is perplexing that he is getting these top minutes while Makar sits between powerplays. Hart also hasn't impressed. He's been fine, but just fine. Even in the game today against Switzerland the second goal that he allowed and the one where the ref blew the whistle too quickly he looked shaky. I don't think that Canada is going to need Hart to stand on his head at any point, especially with every goaltender in the tournament looking highly beatable, but it would be nice.

Things are setting up nicely for my always preferred GMG matchup of US v U.S. as in us v them. Let's hope the boys have forgotten the pre-tournament game with the Czechs. It's not the same team and they have a few game breakers.

Hart really needs to find a new game ritual, one which opposing players can't F with. I don't know, order a bucket of KFC or something and place in the stall next to him, light a few candles and have a shot of rum.

and it's not all that perplexing to my as to why Makar gets the least amount of TOI when we have 7 D dressed. This tournament is hard enough to win as it is, but HC people just can't seem to get out of their own way at times. It's 3 parts arrogance and 1 part stupidity.

Simplicity

Dec 23, 2017
Things are setting up nicely for my always preferred GMG matchup of US v U.S. as in us v them. Let's hope the boys have forgotten the pre-tournament game with the Czechs. It's not the same team and they have a few game breakers.

Hart really needs to find a new game ritual, one which opposing players can't F with. I don't know, order a bucket of KFC or something and place in the stall next to him, light a few candles and have a shot of rum.

and it's not all that perplexing to my as to why Makar gets the least amount of TOI when we have 7 D dressed. This tournament is hard enough to win as it is, but HC people just can't seem to get out of their own way at times. It's 3 parts arrogance and 1 part stupidity.
Is it possible that a team canada coaching staff knows what he is doing more than a few armchair HF coaches?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Not sure how this team is going to do going forward but for me this is imperative, more Batherson and Makar.

Batherson is just a smart player who does everything well, he needs to play a bigger role going forward, he should be a go to guy. Ditto for cale, I am not saying he is erik karlsson but the way he skates and makes plays with that skating reminds me of him a lot, he has that standing straight up while he moves wings on his skates skating style just like him, he does not have that bent over head down charging with all his might skating that someone like Mete has. Makar just floats effortlessly with his head up looking for plays to be made while he is doing it style.The guy can take it from end to end or hit guys right on the tape if they are open when he is rushing the biscuit,he moves the puck around the horn with skill and authority on the p.p and has a hard and accurate shot that he also knows exactly when and where to use.He was a steal at 4 in the draft IMO, looks to me like he should have went top 2, he has been nothing but real impressive pretty much every shift he has been out there this tournament.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Game is at 8 oclock estern tomorrow...that's surprising...

Wondering why USA chose 4pm timeslot.... people are at work etc...

won't complain as i,ll be able to watch the boys...but still weird.

Friday night final is ugly too...

Reactions: donghabs98

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Given it's in the US you'd think they would have chose the prime time game. Should be 2 good games; Canada/Czech Republic and USA/Sweden.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Game is at 8 oclock estern tomorrow...that's surprising...

Wondering why USA chose 4pm timeslot.... people are at work etc...

won't complain as i,ll be able to watch the boys...but still weird.

Friday night final is ugly too...
Did the U.S. have the choice of which time slot to play in, as the host country? If they did, they most likely chose the 4pm game to allow them a few more hours of recovery/preparation time before the gold medal game on Friday.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Did the U.S. have the choice of which time slot to play in, as the host country? If they did, they most likely chose the 4pm game to allow them a few more hours of recovery/preparation time before the gold medal game on Friday.
USA had the choice and made it for those reasons.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
USA had the choice and made it for those reasons.
Yeah, that's what I thought. They almost certainly made the right decision by giving themselves a longer turnaround before the gold medal final, versus getting a few more American butts in the stands for their game.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Yeah, that's what I thought. They almost certainly made the right decision by giving themselves a longer turnaround before the gold medal final, versus getting a few more American butts in the stands for their game.

frankly, even if the U.S. gave us the choice, I'd take the late start and the -3 hours of prep/recovery time....as 7:30-8 EST start time is what the players do. I don't like afternoon starts or anything that takes players out of their normal game day routine, morning skate/nap/ meal etc. If it is a Canada USA final and we get beat again, I doubt the 3 hours less prep time will have any to do with it.

Reactions: Adonis Creed

86Habs

May 4, 2009
frankly, even if the U.S. gave us the choice, I'd take the late start and the -3 hours of prep/recovery time....as 7:30-8 EST start time is what the players do. I don't like afternoon starts or anything that takes players out of their normal game day routine, morning skate/nap/ meal etc. If it is a Canada USA final and we get beat again, I doubt the 3 hours less prep time will have any to do with it.

Both teams' schedules have been off their normal routines this tournament. For Canada, the Finland, U.S., and Switzerland games have been at 4pm, while the Slovakia and Denmark games were in the evening. So its hard to say exactly what they're used to at this point. If its my choice, I'd give my team every advantage possible, and I'd certainly consider ~3 hours of recovery time to be an advantage. With a more consistent schedule (i.e., all evening games), it might be a different story.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I can't really see 3 hours of recovery time being that big of a difference when you are staying in the same city and the late game ends at a normal time.

I could understand if the late game went to midnight or later and threw off your sleep schedule but guys should still be in a normal routine and get basically the same amount of sleep/rest.

I mean I guess every little advantage at this stage has to be considered but I can't see that making any difference.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Both teams' schedules have been off their normal routines this tournament. For Canada, the Finland, U.S., and Switzerland games have been at 4pm, while the Slovakia and Denmark games were in the evening. So its hard to say exactly what they're used to at this point. If its my choice, I'd give my team every advantage possible, and I'd certainly consider ~3 hours of recovery time to be an advantage. With a more consistent schedule (i.e., all evening games), it might be a different story.

regardless of screwy start times this tournament, 7:30 EST is our comfort zone in general. That's what I was referring to. I still would take the late start at all times if given the choice.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I think any time you have 3 more hours of rest it's some type of advantage. It's one that I don't think makes that big of a difference though especially since there's no continuous overtime. If the medal round games had that then I think the extra rest would no doubt play a higher factor.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
what did we do last year? take the evening game? probably
my question is--- why do they force a conclusion to this tournament? there should be day off from semi to final.
why end this on a friday? Every other championship ends on a weekend.
One good thing this year is we should be able to roll four lines and defeat the czechs.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
regardless of screwy start times this tournament, 7:30 EST is our comfort zone in general. That's what I was referring to. I still would take the late start at all times if given the choice.
At the risk of belabouring this point, the players are probably only accustomed to the schedules and routines from the past few weeks in the context of this tournament. The start times are inconsistent, there are unusual two-day gaps between games, they both played outdoors, etc. There probably is no "comfort zone" at this point. If I'm the Americans I gladly take the three hours additional rest, particularly given the state of the Canadian defense groups.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
USA had the right to choose which game it took as host. If USA didn't make a choice then Sweden had the right to choose as the highest seed in the playoff round. Both USA and Sweden wanted the earlier game. Last year Canada, as host, did the exact same thing.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
USA had the right to choose which game it took as host. If USA didn't make a choice then Sweden had the right to choose as the highest seed in the playoff round. Both USA and Sweden wanted the earlier game. Last year Canada, as host, did the exact same thing.

IIRC Canada played the 2nd 1/2 final in both '15 and '17.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Things look pretty good for Canada right now. Czech Republic is probably the most favourable matchup that Canada could have realistically hoped for. Hart also hasn't impressed. I don't think that Canada is going to need Hart to stand on his head at any point, but it would be nice.

It may look good, but Canada only had 1 tough contender so far, and they lost that game. Czech will give them a scare, but the Gold game will be depended on Hart stealing that game.

GO CANADA GO

Screenshot 2017-12-17 21.34.41.png

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Still think 8pm start time was better for USA hockey in general to grow the sports...not have empty area...etc...

People are working on thursday....3 hours is nothing...just an awful decision ...

quite happy as a Canada fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad