Can you believe it has already been 15 years?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I agree but Price was also put on a pedestal and we have to admit it got to his head and affected his game.
He was put on a pedestal because he was one of the best players in the game.

What affected him was having moron GMs who put an AHL blueline in front of him. When we lost Markov and replaced him with junk, it was game over for us.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Bergevin came to his senses after year 5 and it took a while
I hate MB as much as the next guy, but I believe he came in with the plan to rebuild and got absolutely f'ed when they went to the eastern finals or whatever it was in his first year. Plan busted right there, and he's been scrambling ever since.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
In the last 20 years, 5 goalies won the Con Smythe. The last one was Quick in 2012, so it seems you're right. You don't need a superstar goalie to win a Cup, just a steady one.
You don't need a Richard winner either. That doesn't mean it isn't good to have one.

You win a cup by putting together a great TEAM. If you rely on one player you aren't going anywhere. Lemieux couldn't do it. Neither could Yzerman or Gretzky. They needed a team around them to win.

Having Price was great. Relying on him to the extent we did was absolutely stupid.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I hate MB as much as the next guy, but I believe he came in with the plan to rebuild and got absolutely f'ed when they went to the eastern finals or whatever it was in his first year. Plan busted right there, and he's been scrambling ever since.
Everyone I think felt it would be a rebuild when he came in. But it became very apparent right away that the team was better than we thought. Any normal GM would pivot and build from there.

Our real problem was that we hired MT. That move f***ed us right from the start. Choosing Briere over Jagr was terrible but MT didn't even use Briere right... And let's not even get into the fact that they didn't even talk to Larry Robinson.

Just absolutely mindblowing how bad this team has been run.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I am making that argument. :D It was stupid in hindsight. There's probably a reason no other team has done it in the last 20 years.

Goalie is just not a high-impact position in hockey anymore, relative to the other positions.

Would you rather have a team with an average #1C and a top-5 goalie, or a team with a top-5 #1C and an average goalie?
Two of the best goalies in the game have been on very mediocre clubs. And they still got their teams to the semis and faced off against each other with Price getting injured and Hank going onto the finals.

It's false to say they weren't high impact. They brought mediocre teams far further than they should've gone. Those Hab teams should've been in the basement with how they played but we were 100 point teams.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
I will always wonder what would have happened had Kreider not taken him out in the 2014 playoffs. Carey Price will go down as the winningest goalie for the Montreal Canadiens. It was a great draft pick. Hopefully lightning can strike twice and the pick in the 2020 draft will be as good as Price.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I will always wonder what would have happened had Kreider not taken him out in the 2014 playoffs. Carey Price will go down as the winningest goalie for the Montreal Canadiens. It was a great draft pick. Hopefully lightning can strike twice and the pick in the 2020 draft will be as good as Price.
It was tragic.

That season was so funny. I still remember watching Douglas Murray against the Bruins. It was like he was playing for the other side. :laugh:

Reactions: NeptunesTrident

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
...................... are you saying we should draft a goalie again in the first round

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
our single best playoff run wasn't even with our "star goalie" FFS, it was with yet another no-name who had one hot playoff run and then regressed to average status for the rest of his career

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
...................... are you saying we should draft a goalie again in the first round
Why the hell wouldn't you? You don't think Price, Rask or Ludnqvist are worthy first round picks? Seriously? What round do you wait for? Should Ludqvist go in the third?

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
our single best playoff run wasn't even with our "star goalie" FFS, it was with yet another no-name who had one hot playoff run and then regressed to average status for the rest of his career
I'd say he's above average, he's constantly put up good numbers with different teams, it's more a question about his endurance.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'd say he's above average, he's constantly put up good numbers with different teams, it's more a question about his endurance.
Price's numbers took a big drop when we destroyed the team in '17. Goalies can make up for a lot but there are limits to what they can do. But his resume is very good and he will likely be a HOFer by the time he's done. And the odds of that go way up if he's ever traded to a half decent team.

Reactions: NeptunesTrident

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Because the last 20 years of NHL hockey have shown you don't need an above-average goalie to win? And because we need skaters more than anything else? ...
First, your assertion is wrong.

Secondly, even if it wasn't, it's still flawed reasoning. Those same cup winners didn't need John Tavares to win those cups. Does that mean that he's not worthy of a first round selection?

It's absolutely insane to think that those goalies aren't worth 1st round picks. Dude, the odds of a player even making the NHL in the late first isn't all that great. Why they hell wouldn't you take a chance on a highly touted goalie? Makes absolutely zero sense to not take them.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
With Primeau in the wing, it's not necessarily the most needed position on the prospect roster to fill. But if they think Askarov is a game changer, I wouldn't rule it out. So much depends on this play-in. Lafreniere would be a huge addition to the roster, but if they pick #9, that's about where Askarov is expected to go. If Askarov turns into another Price, I'd be hard-pressed to say it wasn't a great pick.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

What affected him was having moron GMs who put an AHL blueline in front of him. When we lost Markov and replaced him with junk, it was game over for us.

Oh I agree but I am actually referring to earlier in his career. If you recall his game took a nosedive after his first All Star game where his didn't perform very well. It paved the way for that Halak debate. He never really found himself after that until Waite came onboard. Which is when the stupidity you are talking about took root. The damage was done after some very very solid seasons despite a Moron for a coach.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
It's absolutely insane to think that those goalies aren't worth 1st round picks. Dude, the odds of a player even making the NHL in the late first isn't all that great. Why they hell wouldn't you take a chance on a highly touted goalie? Makes absolutely zero sense to not take them.
For fun, here's the list of goalies picked in the first round in from 2006-2015. I didn't look at 2016-2020 because it's probably to early to judge those draft picks' careers.

Jonathan Bernier
Riku Helenius
Semyon Varlamov
Leland Irving

none

Chet Pickard
Tom McCollum

none

Jack Campbell
Mark Visentin

none

Andrei Vasilevskiy

none

none

Ilya Samsonov

The best goalie in that list is... Vasilevskiy? Bernier? Varlamov? That is a 10-year span in which not a single first round goalie pick can be said to have contributed meaningfully to a Stanley Cup win. Or to any Cup run really. So I state again; we're currently weak at every position except goalie... and that's what you want us to draft this year with our first round pick?

Actually, it's pretty funny how after 2005, it looks like teams started getting really scared to draft a goalie in the first round. :dunno:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Two of the best goalies in the game have been on very mediocre clubs. And they still got their teams to the semis and faced off against each other with Price getting injured and Hank going onto the finals.

It's false to say they weren't high impact. They brought mediocre teams far further than they should've gone. Those Hab teams should've been in the basement with how they played but we were 100 point teams.
Goalie have had less impact it is a undeniable fact.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
For fun, here's the list of goalies picked in the first round in from 2006-2015. I didn't look at 2016-2020 because it's probably to early to judge those draft picks' careers.

The best goalie in that list is... Vasilevskiy? Bernier? Varlamov? That is a 10-year span in which not a single first round goalie pick can be said to have contributed meaningfully to a Stanley Cup win. Or to any Cup run really. So I state again; we're currently weak at every position except goalie... and that's what you want us to draft this year with our first round pick?

Actually, it's pretty funny how after 2005, it looks like teams started getting really scared to draft a goalie in the first round. :dunno:
Drafting a goalie early had never work out for any team in the last 40 years, all the goalie that work out were pick later or by a team that had pick earlier in the round...

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Another pattern I've noticed is very average/no-name goalies that have one very hot playoffs, then regress back into nothingness the next year.

2019 - Binnington (lolz who? I legit had to look it up just now because I forgot his name)
2016, 2017 - Matt Murray
2015 - Crawford
2011 - Thomas, was out of the league 2 years later
2010 - Niemi :laugh:

What are you talking he about most of these Goalie have had a stretch of 5 years when the were above avg. starting G.
Thomas was older when he broke in but has had 2 Vézina in a 3 years span to go along with is cup...
Quick and Crawford’s have won multiple, cup, jennings even pretty sure quick won playoff MVP.
Murray 5 years in, won 2 cup beating out Fleury for the starting position for both.
Binnington kind of early to say he will go back to nothingness
Niemi had the least amount of success.
Holtby also had multiple good season a cup, Vézina and Jennings...
10 cups and None of these guys were even drafted in the 1st round and there probably a other 4 goalies that have stat or resume that can compare to Price who also had is up and downs and hasn’t really performed in the playoffs.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
What are you talking he about most of these Goalie have had a stretch of 5 years when the were above avg. starting G.
Thomas was older when he broke in but has had 2 Vézina in a 3 years span to go along with is cup...
Quick and Crawford’s have won multiple, cup, jennings even pretty sure quick won playoff MVP.
Murray 5 years in, won 2 cup beating out Fleury for the starting position for both.
Binnington kind of early to say he will go back to nothingness
Niemi had the least amount of success.
Holtby also had multiple good season a cup, Vézina and Jennings...
10 cups and None of these guys were even drafted in the 1st round and there probably a other 4 goalies that have stat or resume that can compare to Price who also had is up and downs and hasn’t really performed in the playoffs.
My point is those were all average goalies who got hot for a brief amount of time, won a cup or two, and then receded into average status.

Different profile from the consensus "best goalies" of the last 15 years such as Price and Lundqvist. Quick and Holtby might by counter-examples, I'll give you that, but they did play for stacked teams.

mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020

Montreal's defensive game that year was actually above average, Price was just terrible (2nd last in GSAx) that year and the Habs couldn't score to save their life.
MTL

Price definitely had to play in front of some poor defensive teams over the years, but the 17/18 team wasn't one of them.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Price save percentage in his last playoff appearance was .933%. Kind of scary when I think of a possible upset of PItt. It was .934%, in 2011 when we almost upset the B. Hope he doesn't turn in that kind of performance. Also, probably why Colorado tried to acquire him at deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad