Can we call the Penguins era a disappointment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strexvale

Mar 8, 2007
West Seneca, NY
Regarding Crosby's leadership point in the OP, this is an interesting article from Paul Stewart (former NHL ref) from last year's playoffs.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paul-Stewart/Time-for-Crosby-to-Lead/196/60011

When I think of great leaders in the game, I recall players I refereed like Ray Bourque, Mark Messier and Joe Sakic. All of them were outstanding individual players with very different styles of play but what they had in common was they knew what example to set. They knew when to support a teammate to the hilt. They knew when to privately pull a wayward teammate into the stick room and read him the riot act. They knew how to speak to the officials and communicate with their coaches and vice versa.

Maybe Sidney Crosby does these things better than I give him credit for doing. I doubt it, though, because all the circumstantial evidence points to him still not being an especially effective team leader in the realms beyond his stellar skills.

When I observe Crosby, I see a player who has a good work ethic and an elite combination of finesse and power in his game. However, I also see a player who is too prone to be goaded into -- or to initiating -- nonsense after the whistles. When Crosby does that, he takes himself and his team off its game.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Regarding Crosby's leadership point in the OP, this is an interesting article from Paul Stewart (former NHL ref) from last year's playoffs.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paul-Stewart/Time-for-Crosby-to-Lead/196/60011

To be fair to Crosby, this mindset is not limited to him. The entire Pens team has a short temper and gets goaded into nonsense after the whistle.

The Flyers series is the best example of that. Crosby completely lost his cool against Giroux, the entire Pens team looked like a bunch of angry wasps. The Flyers have mastered the art of breaking down the Pens.

To this day, the Pens player still revert to stupid shenanigans against the Flyers, like Kunitz shooting at the Flyers' empty net after the whistle.

I think Crosby gets annoyed by the opposition because his teammates are annoyed. It's a sort of groupthink.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
I'm neutral to the Penguins, but the core of Crosby-malkin has as many Cups as the core of Staal-Brind'Amour, and they don't appear close to winning again soon. I don't think Crosby lacks leadership, but something is clearly amiss.

Definitely gotta put the OP on roost for this one.

Such a disappointment the Pens have been in the Crosby & Malkin era... only having won the most playoff games, series, most final appearances and now tied for the most cup wins in the salary cap era. And now the only one to have won back to back titles. Where did it all go wrong? :laugh:

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Definitely gotta put the OP on roost for this one.

Such a disappointment the Pens have been in the Crosby & Malkin era... only having won the most playoff games, series, most final appearances and now tied for the most cup wins in the salary cap era. And now the only one to have won back to back titles. Where did it all go wrong? :laugh:

Not really. At the point of the OP he was definitely correct.

I know, it's fun being a sore winner and going BOPOM ROASTED on threads that seem ridiculous in hindsight.
But literally searching the forums for one you can bump just to act like a manchild is really low, dude.

You're better than that.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Not really. At the point of the OP he was definitely correct.

I know, it's fun being a sore winner and going BOPOM ROASTED on threads that seem ridiculous in hindsight.
But literally searching the forums for one you can bump just to act like a manchild is really low, dude.

You're better than that.

I guess this is what you get when you make gigantic commentaries about players' careers when they have 10 years or so left in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad