Can washington repeat?

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Definitely. Ovy was his usual great self, but damn if Kuznetsov didn't show he is a top 10 possibly top 5 center. What a skater/playmaker.
My friend who's a caps fan has been telling me Kuzy is better than Matthews. If he puts up another year like that and proves it's not just a one-off I'll have to be inclined to believe him. He's been amazing in these playoffs

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Who said it´s all about the Pens? I just said the Pens´schedule last season was brutal!

it depends on how you look at it, the pens had the most back to backs but they had the least mileage of any team this year

if you wanna get specific

2015-16: only 1 team had less miles to travel then the pens ( detroit)
2016-17: only 4 teams had less miles to travel then the pens (nyi,nyr,cbj,tor)
2017-18: no teams had less miles to travel then the pens

so lets compare to say the caps

2016 pens: 33,388 miles
2016 caps: 43,303 miles

2017 pens: 34,041 miles
2017 caps: 37,351 miles

the schedule shows that the less miles you travel the more back to backs you get
for example:
colorado: 49,000 miles traveled 11 back to backs
calgary: 48,000 miles traveled 12 back to backs
but wait: chicago 48,000 miles traveled 17 back to backs
so chicago arguably had the hardest schedule this year
etc

even ottawa with the same number of back to backs was at 39,000 miles

so lastly lets summarize: the avalanche travel almost 10,000-18,000 miles more then pens a year and have less back to backs
blackhawks traveled 13,000 more miles then pens and played 2 less back to backs

NHL Travel Miles: The 2017-18 Super Schedule!

Reactions: Randyne

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Whatever, if the Caps will have to play 19 b2b games they will not repeat, regardless how many miles they have to travel. That's my opinion. They will have a tougher schedule next season as every defending champ has, not just the Pens.

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
Assuming Ovi doesn't show up to camp at 270 pounds after partying all summer, then yes. The pressure is off. The young guns like Kuzy, Wilson, Burakovsky, and Vrana will all come back next year with added confidence and knowing what it takes to go all the way. I think Carlson comes back and we've got a top 5 goalie in Holtby.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Unlikely, Capitals don't have that dynasty like quality. They'll be the typical one and done championship team like the Hurricanes, Lightning, Bruins and Ducks of recent memory.
What the Caps have done the past 3 seasons has been very impressive. 2 presidents cup and the a Stanley cup. If they could gave gotten by the Pens the past 2 seasons they may have 3 peated. The Caps and Pens have been the dominant teams in recent years.
Can they repeat? Sure it's possible but it won't be easy.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Both Crosby and Ovechkin enjoy the most team success a good 10 + years into their careers. This makes me happy. Young stars put up lots of points but old stars know how to win.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
I think Ovi will come back almost as hungry next fall. What happens with Carlson is big but I think the team will manage to bring him back. They may lose Beagle who's key but the young guys also could/should continue taking steps forward. And a full season of beast-mode Kuz would be huge.

So in closing, I expect the Caps to return a really good team. But in hockey that's only half the battle. They also need to peak at the right time and get a bit of puck luck, and maybe they make another deep run and threaten a repeat.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
East is pretty weak so it's definitely possible. Pens and Bolts are their only real competition.

Lmao the East is weak? Really? An expansion team ran through the West before running into a buzzsaw by the league's bridesmaid. The Sharks were dominated in 2016 and the Predators might have had a chance had they brought a goaltender to the series.

To answer the OP, of course they have a chance to repeat but it is going to be extremely difficult. Carlson will probably get 8-9 mil per year. Youll have another year of an aging Orpik on defense. You will also likely see a pissed off (and rested) Pittsburgh team that is hungry to win 3 in 4 years. A lot can happen between now and next April, though. You cant repeat without winning one. How they handle being the champions is going to be interesting and fun to watch

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Do they have a chance? Sure, assuming they either bring back Carlson or replace him with a stud. The East in 18-19 should be similar to the way it was this year, with Pit, Wsh, TB and Bos as the front runners to start the year.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
They may need to lose a bunch next year to feel that hunger again...and also to get all the alcohol out of their system.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
They could repeat, but I wouldn't bet on it
They weren't even the clear favourite this year, more like one of a handful of teams at the top
Penguins, Bruins, Lightning at least will likely all be competitive from the East next year

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
(Strictly next playoffs)

Likely to be better

Backstrom (broken hand)
Vrana
Burakovsky
Stephenson
Djoos
Kempny

Likely to stay the same

Niskanen
Orlov
Ovechkin
Wilson
Connolly
Carlson
Oshie
Holtby

Likely to regress

Orpik
Kuznetsov ( only cause he was so dominant a repeat performance would be Crazy)
Eller ( see above)
DSP

So id say yes they have a chance

Why are you putting Kuzy down?
He has elevated himself to the level of a star 1C.
I am sure his regular season stats will get even better than in previous years.
The Stanley Cup will give him confidence to carry the torch when Ovi's and Backy's time is up.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Why are you putting Kuzy down?
He has elevated himself to the level of a star 1C.
I am sure his regular season stats will get even better than in previous years.
The Stanley Cup will give him confidence to carry the torch when Ovi's and Backy's time is up.
By regress I meant like instead of 33 points to maybe like 25-28. 30 points in the playoffs is ridiculously hard to do and has been done what 5 times since the lockout?. I love kuzy, not bringing him down

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Depends on their offseason moves. Without Carlson and Grubauer who knows

"But Grubauer didn't contribute to the SC run"

People don't understand what a luxury it is to have two great goalies like that. If Grubauer goes somewhere else in the offseason and the team has to rely more on Holtby who knows what will happen. Will Holtby suffer fatigue or regress? Holtby's struggles in 2017-18 were because he was playing way too much.

Very likely Grubs will be traded. We’ve got Samsonov in our back pocket who might be coming over next year. And Grubs has good value right now after carrying us the 2nd half of the season.

Need to resign Carlson/Kempny - they were money together through the whole playoffs. Probably let DSP go as he’ll be too expensive after that playoff performance. Hopefully we can keep Beagle but might be tough.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I would be willing to bet a small fortune that the Caps don't repeat.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
They'll most certainly be talented enough to be a contender, but it takes some luck too to win the Cup, so the odds will still be unlikely.

Just this run, Washington had to overcome an 0-2 hole after two home games vs CBJ and a 2-3 deficit against Tampa Bay. You don't overcome both of those every time.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Hmm decades of not being able to get past the 2nd round, finally luck goes their way and they win a cup...suddenly they're considered a potential dynasty...lol never change HFBoards, never change.
They're locked and loaded and know how to win now. Decades of losing isn't really relevant to today's team is it? Bizarre how i have to defend the caps on this board, but basic logic escapes so many here.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Depends on Burakovsky
Is he consistent by next season? He's most talented player after Ovi but very inconsistent.
Wow that's a hot take.

Caps are 14:1, Tampa favorite at 9:1, I feel like that's low for the Caps if you assume they're resigning Carlson but I'd make them 12:1 or 11:1 at best. Their offseason moves are pretty easy to forecast: Carlson, Wilson, DSP probably back in increasing likelihood; Beagle, Grubby almost certainly gone; Kempny and Trotz unsure.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
They just won the Stanley Cup... At this point I would guess they'd have to be favored to win next year. lol

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
By regress I meant like instead of 33 points to maybe like 25-28. 30 points in the playoffs is ridiculously hard to do and has been done what 5 times since the lockout?. I love kuzy, not bringing him down

25 points has only been done 19 times in 12 years. Only 2 of those 19 are repeats, Malkin and Crosby. Ovechkin had 15 goals this year, which is tied for the most since the lockout, and he had 15 goals in the 3 previous playoffs combined.

That's not even mentioning the depth guys. Eller had 0 goals last year, but among his 7 goals this year was the Cup winner.

You can look at PP goals too. 9 guys have scored 6 in one playoff tournament since 2006. 2 of those 9 happen to be Caps from this season.

The Caps had a hell of a run, and it's not like they can't do it again, but everyone gets inflated when you get deep in the playoffs. X team is now just awesome. This or that player will only get better. Things tend not to work that way. You need everything going for you to win 16 games. Production from stars, production from depth, and health. You need that unexpected depth guy to be really good. You need someone to step up and do something when there is an injury. Back in the dynasty days, all of that might've been easier to find for one team. In today's league, not so much. That "it" factor tends to jump from team to team, year to year.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

RussianRifle27

Dec 3, 2007
I expect them to have a massive cup hangover as Ovechkin and his pals don't seem to have the discipline you'd need to refocus after finally breaking through. I think they'll barely make the playoffs and exit in the first or second round.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Wow that's a hot take.

Caps are 14:1, Tampa favorite at 9:1, I feel like that's low for the Caps if you assume they're resigning Carlson but I'd make them 12:1 or 11:1 at best. Their offseason moves are pretty easy to forecast: Carlson, Wilson, DSP probably back in increasing likelihood; Beagle, Grubby almost certainly gone; Kempny and Trotz unsure.
Beagle is pretty important to the team dude! He's not easy to replace!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad