Can washington repeat?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Unlikely, Capitals don't have that dynasty like quality. They'll be the typical one and done championship team like the Hurricanes, Lightning, Bruins and Ducks of recent memory.

One and done. Hmm. They have the best goal scorer in the league. They have 2 all star centers. They are 3 solid centers deep. If they keep Carlson they have an all star defenseman. They have a vezina trophy goalie. I have a hard time reading all that on one team and then dismissing them out of hand.

Reactions: Ayta Doherty

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
(Strictly next playoffs)

Likely to regress

Orpik
Kuznetsov ( only cause he was so dominant a repeat performance would be Crazy)
Eller ( see above)
DSP

Regress to what level? He was a point per game during the season. Come playoffs with Ovechkin being the target of a shutdown effort on one side and Tom Wilson being a wrecking crew on the other side, I see no reason why he wont continue to operate with more space than he needs. I don't buy the regress there.

Oster

Jun 3, 2006
South Carolina, USA
Had they won last year maybe then could have eked out another one this year if things played out the same, don't see them repeating with this roster. It's just too hard with too many other teams improving. Then again I didn't even expect them to make the playoffs this year so who knows.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Unlikely, Capitals don't have that dynasty like quality. They'll be the typical one and done championship team like the Hurricanes, Lightning, Bruins and Ducks of recent memory.

If they can get past Pittsburgh again next year (assuming both make the playoffs), then they have a strong chance.

Reactions: Randyne

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Healthy Malkin/Crosby is still Juggernaut combination. The only answer to this is OviKuz/Backy playing today level.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
One and done. Hmm. They have the best goal scorer in the league. They have 2 all star centers. They are 3 solid centers deep. If they keep Carlson they have an all star defenseman. They have a vezina trophy goalie. I have a hard time reading all that on one team and then dismissing them out of hand.

Hmm decades of not being able to get past the 2nd round, finally luck goes their way and they win a cup...suddenly they're considered a potential dynasty...lol never change HFBoards, never change.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
They have a deep team. Could come down to Pittsburgh/Washington again next year.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
Hmm decades of not being able to get past the 2nd round, finally luck goes their way and they win a cup...suddenly they're considered a potential dynasty...lol never change HFBoards, never change.
Hmmm been the Vegas odds favorite to win going into the playoffs two years prior and still have a huge amount of those pieces left...AND JUST WON THE DAMN THING...I think your response is the part of HF that should never change. The part where people develop a thought process based on other people’s opinions without actually looking at the details. Caps were seen as “bad” by the majority of hockey folks this year going into the playoffs, so they’re still bad in HF world. People discounted this team because of goaltending issues basically. If Holtby plays the way he’s capable they are an incredibly difficult team to beat. They won the best division in hockey this “Cinderella year” for crying out loud.

With Holtby in net Caps went 16-6 in the playoffs. 4-0 on series clinchers and 2-0 with 0 GA in elimination games. Dominance.

Yes they can repeat. They will be back in the playoffs and will very likely be favored to make it to the ECF. Tampa is still good but really they have the pieces to be great for a couple seasons.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
let them survive this summer first. Those Celebrations goin to kill them

Heh. When they start preparations for the season 2018-2019 their first meeting shall be in AA-club. Ovi captaining Russian drinking habits to whole team isn't entirely great thing, particularly if they are too busy they forget eat in-between drinks (which would be pretty much Finnish style of drinking, btw.) :D

It's easier take b2b Bloody Mary than it's make b2b SC-winning season.

Reactions: geoo9

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I think it pays to be consistant. Are you arguing that a team that has 2 presidents trophies and a cup in 3 seasons running is to be dismissed out of hand....you know...as in no chance?

The Caps lucked into beating Pittsburgh?

Ignore it if you will but the 2nd round/Pittsburgh monkey was what was weighing them down. But I will consider your position that they still suck and still choked only to be saved by luck.

Last...you throw off the easy insult but I see nothing to refute what I posted. Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Eller, Oshie, Carlson, Holtby. That is not the foundation of a good team?

smd333

May 2, 2012
Depends on Burakovsky
Is he consistent by next season? He's most talented player after Ovi but very inconsistent.
I think you can make a strong case for dealing Bura. I’ll always love the guy for the 2 goal performance vs the bolts in the clincher and the assist on the gwg feed to cono in game 5 vs Vegas. But you can get value for him now and he’s not as gritty as I need him to be at times.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Lot of variables and good points in this thread already. I think the short answer is that it takes a lot of puck luck for any team to win it all, but the CAPS window is most certainly still open.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
LOL sure, they beat a strong Blue Jackets team, the defending champ, the best offense in the NHL this season and a new expansion team who has literally dominated all his opponents in the western conference to the Stanley Cup Final but yeah they were only lucky... lol never change HFBoards, never change. :rolleyes:

tenor.gif

Reactions: Ayta Doherty

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
it really depends on their experience, if they loose alot of their vets and have to start their young players, i dont see it happening, it's pretty much what happened to pittsburgh. lost alot of their vets and they were out of the playoffs.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
The Caps core players remain on the contract next year. Trotz will resign without a doubt. 16.7 mil in cap space is available. Decisions should be made on keeping Carlson, Beagle, Kempny, and DSP. It will be tight, but the Caps should still be competitive next season. In 2019 though there will be more challenges with the cap space.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Lightning could've won another if it weren't for the lockout. We were pretty set at every position and were one of the least expensive rosters at the time.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Let´s see how the Caps handle the short summer, we don´t know what kind of schedule they will have to play, which players are leaving etc.. I think if they have to play such a brutal schedule as the Pens had to play last season there´s like no chance they will repeat.

Sep 19, 2008
Depends on their offseason moves. Without Carlson and Grubauer who knows

"But Grubauer didn't contribute to the SC run"

People don't understand what a luxury it is to have two great goalies like that. If Grubauer goes somewhere else in the offseason and the team has to rely more on Holtby who knows what will happen. Will Holtby suffer fatigue or regress? Holtby's struggles in 2017-18 were because he was playing way too much.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Let´s see how the Caps handle the short summer, we don´t know what kind of schedule they will have to play, which players are leaving etc.. I think if they have to play such a brutal schedule as the Pens had to play last season there´s like no chance they will repeat.
Lmao this guy. It’s all about the Pens, isn’t it? Keep doubting the greatness of Ovi and the Caps, losers. Yer old news.

Luca

Nov 22, 2006
Most likely no. OV will party all summer and will be out of shape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad