Player Discussion: Can Toews replace Leddy?

Do you think Toews can do what Leddy does?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
It isn't the dollar value of his contract that's an issue, its the length. Take that with Mayfield and Pelech's contract and we have 3 bottom pairing Dmen signed long term. Mayfield has been a pleasant surprise this year and has been pretty steady while Pelech has been less consistent. Hickey is....well....Hickey. Each of these guys - on their own - are fine enough for the bottom of the roster. You can't have a superstar at every spot. But collectively, they are jamming up the roster. In this instance, we have no place for Toews and its getting to the point where the dude has been in the AHL for too long and deserves/needs a spot. I'm all for over-ripening prospects, but its not like he's 21. He's 24 now and has shown that he deserves a chance.
We will see a deal at some point but while Toews is good we have to temper expectation a bit on him he isn’t a future star. I’m sure we will see him get eased in soon but Trotz loves the spilt of left and right handed shot guys so he will need to replace Leddy, Pelech or Hickey in lineup. He isn’t better than Leddy so my bet is Pelech gets moved at some point.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Reminds me of when we thought Donovan could replace Strait, and we all know how that turned out.

I’ve often referred to Leddy as a “glorified hickey”, but his wheels are what sets him apart. Towes might be similar to Leddy, but who knows how he will handle the transition from AHL to NHL.

Guy could be a scrub in the NHL for all we know.
I’ve been to five sound tigger games and have seen Toews a lot in years last and he is good. I am no scout but I wouldn’t be surprised if one of Van de sompel, Wotherspoon or Aho ends up being better Nhler. Our young D in Bridgeport are very good like I’ve said Snow deserves that credit in getting new age puck moving, skating defenseman in organization.

Reactions: dood

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Leddy is f***ing terrible. For the 1 billionth time... in the game tonight the Isles "won" the faceoff in their own zone. The puck went behind the net and speedster Leddy took his sweet ass time to retrieve the puck behind his net. Taking forever, he was stripped from behind and the Isles spent the next 2 mins defending in their own zone. f***ing guy is WAY too laid back... never shows any sense of urgency.

Reactions: ekill08x

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Leddy is ****ing terrible. For the 1 billionth time... in the game tonight the Isles "won" the faceoff in their own zone. The puck went behind the net and speedster Leddy took his sweet ass time to retrieve the puck behind his net. Taking forever, he was stripped from behind and the Isles spent the next 2 mins defending in their own zone. ****ing guy is WAY too laid back... never shows any sense of urgency.
i am leaning toward this sentiment as well. Leddy got the skillz, but seems to have trouble with motivation. in lieu of the team's direction, i can see Leddy traded and Toews taking his place. and, Toews eventually signing a contract that is good value. then soon after, Hickey is replaced by one of Aho, MVS, or Wotherspoon.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Leddy is ****ing terrible. For the 1 billionth time... in the game tonight the Isles "won" the faceoff in their own zone. The puck went behind the net and speedster Leddy took his sweet ass time to retrieve the puck behind his net. Taking forever, he was stripped from behind and the Isles spent the next 2 mins defending in their own zone. ****ing guy is WAY too laid back... never shows any sense of urgency.

Thought he had good and bad moments last night with the urgency. After being stripped he played a bit more physical and even threw a forechecker down just over the blue line if I recall correctly. It's rare we see that from him, but I'd like to see more of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad