Player Discussion: Can Toews replace Leddy?

Do you think Toews can do what Leddy does?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Would you trade Leddy and insert Toews in his place?

i chose better, meaning that he will put up similar numbers, but will be cheaper, in the long run.

to be clear, i am not shitting on Leddy. he is what he is. decent, but we overpaid him. not a bad contract, but i would like to see LL chop some salary, and pursue at least 2 big UFA's in the summer. a gritty LHD and a goalie. a gritty 2C would be the cherry on top, but i would be super happy if we get just the 1st two.

don't know if i would do it this year, seeing as how Pelech and Pulock are still quite young and inexperienced, but at the start of next year, for sure.

so if i am Lou, i start putting the word out. FOR SALE!

* just checked Leddy's salary, and it's
$5,500,000$6,000,000$6,500,000$7,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
for the next 4 years. cap hit is $5,500,000.

for a rich team that has cap issues, he could be attractive.

Last edited:

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
If you can get a kings ransom for Leddy then I think the team will be better off in the long run to trade him and replace him with Toews

Overall though, I’d rather play both, at least for now

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Leddy's not overpaid, he's overworked. I don't know what you think 5.5 mil can get you, but it's definitely not a much better player. Unless you get lucky. But he definitely needs help. As mentioned above, there are other players Toews would be better off replacing.

Last edited:

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
I have no problem with trading Leddy, but Hickey has to go first.

Problem is who wants Hickey at 2.5 mil for 3 more years?

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I have no problem with trading Leddy, but Hickey has to go first.

Problem is who wants Hickey at 2.5 mil for 3 more years?

Hickey is a depth defensemen when injuries come but shouldn't be a mainstay in the top 6 (nevermind top 4). He would ideally be a super Dman down in Bridgeport, teaching the youngsters how to be a professional, and what to do but doubt he'd ever agree to go down there.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Leddy is a mystery to me. He’s probbaly one of the top5 skating Defensman and one of the top zone entry Defensman in the league yet his offensive numbers are always so underwhelming.

Maybe it’s the way Trotz defense is designed for the damn to be more defensive minded? Pulock surprisingly hasn’t put up offense too. The biggest thing I notice is that these 2 particular guys haven’t pinched much. Every now and then they will but I’m getting the sense they’re being instructed to stay as close to the blue line and neutral zone as possible.

As for Toews, I’d rather him play over Pelech and Sbisa. He’s the right age and he’s definitely earned it with his play. Maybe with him missing so much time last year they want to get him really going for a long stretch of game action before bringing him up?

Toews is so steady and calm. Has the making have an excellent 2way Defensman.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
this wasn't about a wish list, or i would have chosen that we sign Doughty, and get rid of Hickey.

it was about how you think Toews compares to Leddy.

i can see how Leddy isn't used properly (shouldn't be on the top pair), but he is getting paid like a top pairing guy. really, he excels at skating, but not much else.

we could trade Hickey for a 6th rounder, probably, but Leddy will get us much more. with our LHD prospects all offensive and on the smallish side, i think we trade Leddy for someone of equal value, but more defensive. a guy like Edmundson comes to mind. Ducks are hurting for scoring. maybe we can trade them Leddy and Nelson for one of their great young D and futures?

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Hickey is a depth defensemen when injuries come but shouldn't be a mainstay in the top 6 (nevermind top 4). He would ideally be a super Dman down in Bridgeport, teaching the youngsters how to be a professional, and what to do but doubt he'd ever agree to go down there.
He would never make it down there. 1000% he would be cliamed.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I voted a step back but thats for the immediate impact... Down the line I think Towes has the potential to be replacment trending toward a step above.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Leddy is a mystery to me. He’s probbaly one of the top5 skating Defensman and one of the top zone entry Defensman in the league yet his offensive numbers are always so underwhelming.

Maybe it’s the way Trotz defense is designed for the damn to be more defensive minded? Pulock surprisingly hasn’t put up offense too. The biggest thing I notice is that these 2 particular guys haven’t pinched much. Every now and then they will but I’m getting the sense they’re being instructed to stay as close to the blue line and neutral zone as possible.

As for Toews, I’d rather him play over Pelech and Sbisa. He’s the right age and he’s definitely earned it with his play. Maybe with him missing so much time last year they want to get him really going for a long stretch of game action before bringing him up?

Toews is so steady and calm. Has the making have an excellent 2way Defensman.

Leddy should be a 60 point dman instead of a 40 point guy that plays defense well. The probably is he has less hockey sense than a sack of hammers. Notice he cannot smoothly QB a PP or play a slick defensive game? He's the Oleg Kvasha of Dmen.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Leddy should be a 60 point dman instead of a 40 point guy that plays defense well. The probably is he has less hockey sense than a sack of hammers. Notice he cannot smoothly QB a PP or play a slick defensive game? He's the Oleg Kvasha of Dmen.

His offensive instincts are very weak for how great his skating is.

The majority of his zone entires end with gliding to the side boards and dumping the puck down right before he’s about to get checked. He doesn’t even get checked half the time because opposing players know he’ll dump the puck if you get close to him.

Just a very passive mindset for someone with such gamebreaking skating ability. That’s why he’s probably better as a 3D than a top pairing guy.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i have been a Hickey negatron for some time, but i'll admit that he seems better with Trotz (they all do). really, i just disagree how he is being used. he should never be on the PK. he's smart enough, but doesn't have the strength or speed.

heard that Hickey is a good guy, a real student of the game, and that he seems suited to a career in coaching.

Last edited:

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Toews is not as good as Leddy nor will he be IMO. Toews can be a 30-40 point 2nd pair but better off on 3rd pair guy which isn’t bad but he gets overrated a lot on isles Twitter. Leddy should be a 1st pair guy when he plays to his potential but he is a really good 2nd pair guy. If Toews was deal breaker to get Nylander say there is no way Lou wouldn’t do it. Imo seeing tigers a lot Van de sompel, Aho can be just as good as Toews and Wotherspoon can be a better version of Pelech and then you have Wilde and Dobson from last year who can top pair NHLers if they live up to potential.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Leddy and Toews have similar styles of play. Neither are top pairing material but solid 2nd pair guys. Leddy has looked off since last season and Id like to see him back with JB. Leddy and Pulock are also similar and I feel they are dragging each other down. Really no reason to trade Leddy and insert Toews. Toews should take the place of either Hickey or Mayfield

Leddy-JB
Pelech-Pulock
Toews-Mayfield
Hickey

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Toews is not as good as Leddy nor will he be IMO. Toews can be a 30-40 point 2nd pair but better off on 3rd pair guy which isn’t bad but he gets overrated a lot on isles Twitter. Leddy should be a 1st pair guy when he plays to his potential but he is a really good 2nd pair guy. If Toews was deal breaker to get Nylander say there is no way Lou wouldn’t do it. Imo seeing tigers a lot Van de sompel, Aho can be just as good as Toews and Wotherspoon can be a better version of Pelech and then you have Wilde and Dobson from last year who can top pair NHLers if they live up to potential.
As you do watch Bridgeport alot would you say Towes is close to as good a skater as Leddy is? When i watched Towes in the preseason he looked more like qb power play then Leddy.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Leddy is a passive guy who gets his points when he wants to be aggressive.

I really am low on him right now so not the best feeling t judge but I'll say this, we would be selling low if we traded him. But how much off is he than last year? He's been steadily declining.

I don't really want Toews to replace Leddy, I don't want to look at it that way. As in, I'm not trading Leddy to make room for Toews. But I am totally down to trade Leddy. Offseason though, guy might have found his spot at game 60 and is ready to go under Trotz next year.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Leddy is supposed to be in his prime right now, so I think this is psychological..also he is being played wrong and taking on too much. If anyone can fix him, it'll be Trotz...he just needs a bit more time to figure it out.

We really just have to listen to the coach and search for that elusive 2c

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Toews’ skating may not be as good as Leddy’s but I think his all-around game and IQ have the potential to be higher than Leddy’s.

Toews can kill penalties, run the powerplay, and match up against top lines, all while driving offense.

The biggest difference from him and Leddy for me is that whenever I watch Toews play, he anticipates plays well and can sense pressure or opportunities while Leddy seems to more often play the same way regardless of the situation.

I really think Toews-Dobson has the potential to be a really solid pairing for this organization sometime in the near future. Both have a great sense of when to push or regroup and are mobile.

Reactions: dood

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
i have been a Hickey negatron for some time, but i'll admit that he seems better with Trotz (they all do). really, i just disagree how he is being used. he should never be on the PK. he's smart enough, but doesn't have the strength or speed.

heard that Hickey is a good guy, a real student of the game, and that he seems suited to a career in coaching.
He had zero interest as a UFA last off season. Valiquette sucked as a goalie, so he teaches, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad