Player Discussion: Can Toews replace Leddy?

Do you think Toews can do what Leddy does?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
As you do watch Bridgeport alot would you say Towes is close to as good a skater as Leddy is? When i watched Towes in the preseason he looked more like qb power play then Leddy.
Leddy is a better skater but Leddy is one of the better skaters in league, Toews is a very good skater well above average. Toews is probably better offensively overall with a much better shot he has a very good wrist shot from point and jumps into play well. He has same defensive issues as Leddy as isn’t all that physical. Toews is 25 and Imo is a finished product but those that th8nk he makes Leddy expendable will be disappointed. If anything Dobson and Wilde might make Leddy expendable. Our d prospects in Bridgeport are not bad snow deserves credit for drafting and signing guys who would be new age nhl defensemen all are good skaters and puck movers.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Toews’ skating may not be as good as Leddy’s but I think his all-around game and IQ have the potential to be higher than Leddy’s.

Toews can kill penalties, run the powerplay, and match up against top lines, all while driving offense.

The biggest difference from him and Leddy for me is that whenever I watch Toews play, he anticipates plays well and can sense pressure or opportunities while Leddy seems to more often play the same way regardless of the situation.

I really think Toews-Dobson has the potential to be a really solid pairing for this organization sometime in the near future. Both have a great sense of when to push or regroup and are mobile.
I don’t see Toews as potential that high he will be a solid NHL guy, I agree he can play in all situations but he has his defensive movements and lapses similar to Leddy in that he doesn’t really like to get involved physically.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Defense is a weakness. I wouldn’t be taking away from it. Bring up Toews to ease the burden off of Leddy; he plays too much and therefore committs more mistakes.

Reactions: Seph

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Leddy is a better skater but Leddy is one of the better skaters in league, Toews is a very good skater well above average. Toews is probably better offensively overall with a much better shot he has a very good wrist shot from point and jumps into play well. He has same defensive issues as Leddy as isn’t all that physical. Toews is 25 and Imo is a finished product but those that th8nk he makes Leddy expendable will be disappointed. If anything Dobson and Wilde might make Leddy expendable. Our d prospects in Bridgeport are not bad snow deserves credit for drafting and signing guys who would be new age nhl defensemen all are good skaters and puck movers.
Just from a limited time i saw Towes he looked pretty polished running the point on the pp. You don't have to be overall physical if you can read the play well to be a good defender. Kenny Jonson is the best example of a former islander i can think of who was a great skater not physical but had a great stick to break up plays.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Just from a limited time i saw Towes he looked pretty polished running the point on the pp. You don't have to be overall physical if you can read the play well to be a good defender. Kenny Jonson is the best example of a former islander i can think of who was a great skater not physical but had a great stick to break up plays.
I’m not trying to knock Toews per say I just think we should temper expectations a bit he is very good nhl ready prospect who certainly will help our possession figures he is a good skater, puck mover etc. I just don’t know if he is a top 2 defenseman in league.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
People need to get a grip. Leddy looks worse these past 2 years but we got like 3 years of top pair play out of him already.

If Toews, a 24 y/o who's never appeared in the NHL, becomes that we should all be through the moon.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
I think if you can get good pieces for Leddy (Eberle and Nelson too) , do it. Toews will have to adjust but let him learn here in the NHL he's gone as far as he can in Bridgeport. isles aren't going to be a serious threat for at least 2 seasons.
I am a leddy fan but he has not been himself for quite a while, which is puzzling. but before he's totally worthless try to get something for him.
yeah I get hickey, but down the line i'd rather eat his money than Leddy's

Reactions: dood

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Can you provide a link to him getting no offers or is this just your own speculation?
Um, how do you think that would happen? Other teams publicizing that they have no interest in the Hick? I imagine the opposite is possible, maybe one(you, for example) could find an offer, had one been made.
He stinks, and I would leave it at that.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Lot of people overrating Leddys game here. This version of Leddy weve seen since last year, yes Toews could replace him. Leddy shouldnt ever be a top pairing defensemen, he was a bottom with Q, hes atrocious in his own end and has looked completely uninterested this year. It is time to move on.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Um, how do you think that would happen? Other teams publicizing that they have no interest in the Hick? I imagine the opposite is possible, maybe one(you, for example) could find an offer, had one been made.
He stinks, and I would leave it at that.
It works the same as anything else, you find a report saying that something actually happened, otherwise posting that it did happen is just your own speculation. I didn't make a claim one way or another as to what happened, so I'm not sure why you're asking me for a link to prove something. Thanks for confirming that this is just your speculation, but it may be something you should consider not posting as a fact since you have no verification of it being true.

Last edited:

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
He had zero interest as a UFA last off season. Valiquette sucked as a goalie, so he teaches, too.
I’m sure Hickey had offers for most part he is a pretty good third pair defenseman. His contract is reasonable and isn’t a problem on roster he will end up being a valuable depth 3rd pair/ extra guy to have around once some of our prospects start to arrive.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Leddy used to be really good on the PP but not sure why he has not been playing the same way on the PP for a couple of years now. Did he had an injury last season that kind of slow down his game? In his zone, he has always been a bit of a liability even back when he was with Chicago. He needs a defensive sound partner to cover him. Could his passion for the game with Isles went down with JT walked out on the Isles? Hopefully this is not the case. Maybe some players just take a bit longer to get into his best game mode and he may heat up later. I will give him another month and see how it goes before considering trading him unless it is for a solid 2 way 2nd line centre coming back. With the way Nelson has played so far, maybe that upgrade is not as urgent as I would thought of.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Leddy used to be really good on the PP but not sure why he has not been playing as sharp for a couple of years now. Did he suffered an injury last season that may kind of slow down his game? In his zone, he has always been a bit of a liability even back when he was with Chicago. He needs a defensive sound partner to cover him in the D zone. Could his passion for the game with Isles diminished with JT no longer with the Isles? Hopefully this is not the case. Maybe some players just take a bit longer to get into his best game mode and he may still heat up later. I will give him another month and see how it goes before considering trading him unless it is for a solid 2 way 2nd line centre coming back. With the way Nelson has played so far, maybe that upgrade is not as immediately urgent as I would thought of.

I would like to see Towes coming up sometime this year but not to play on top pairing and should start with easy minutes with some duty on the 2nd PP unit. However without any injury to the D group this means they have to trade a roster D away or send someone down with possibility of losing that player to waiver claim. It is a bit tricky but I am sure Trotz knows best what this team needs once he can evaluate his defense team further.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I’m sure Hickey had offers for most part he is a pretty good third pair defenseman. His contract is reasonable and isn’t a problem on roster he will end up being a valuable depth 3rd pair/ extra guy to have around once some of our prospects start to arrive.
Hickey does block a lot of shots so he does contribute to the team that way. He however is week on defending in front of the net due to his size not his effort. He needs to pair up with someone who is rock solid and knows how to box players out in front of the net. I agree that he is a 3rd pairing guy who can have some big games occasionally.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Way too early to be discussing anybody replacing Leddy. He's in a bit of a slump...it's normal and ok. Still our best defenseman overall.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
It works the same as anything else, you find a report saying that something actually happened, otherwise posting that it did happen is just your own speculation. I didn't make a claim one way or another as to what happened, so I'm not sure why you're asking me for a link to prove something. Thanks for confirming that this is just your speculation, but it may be something you should consider not posting as a fact since you have no verification of it being true.
I actually read it somewhere, but it is not worth my time. On a good team, the Hick is an AHL call up.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
It isn't the dollar value of his contract that's an issue, its the length. Take that with Mayfield and Pelech's contract and we have 3 bottom pairing Dmen signed long term. Mayfield has been a pleasant surprise this year and has been pretty steady while Pelech has been less consistent. Hickey is....well....Hickey. Each of these guys - on their own - are fine enough for the bottom of the roster. You can't have a superstar at every spot. But collectively, they are jamming up the roster. In this instance, we have no place for Toews and its getting to the point where the dude has been in the AHL for too long and deserves/needs a spot. I'm all for over-ripening prospects, but its not like he's 21. He's 24 now and has shown that he deserves a chance.

Reactions: MJF

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It isn't the dollar value of his contract that's an issue, its the length. Take that with Mayfield and Pelech's contract and we have 3 bottom pairing Dmen signed long term. Mayfield has been a pleasant surprise this year and has been pretty steady while Pelech has been less consistent. Hickey is....well....Hickey. Each of these guys - on their own - are fine enough for the bottom of the roster. You can't have a superstar at every spot. But collectively, they are jamming up the roster. In this instance, we have no place for Toews and its getting to the point where the dude has been in the AHL for too long and deserves/needs a spot. I'm all for over-ripening prospects, but its not like he's 21. He's 24 now and has shown that he deserves a chance.

I'd like Toews to be called up, but I don't view the contracts to Mayfield or Pelech as being a problem. They are pretty much waiver proof and make so little that when they are sent down they don't impact the cap. Just waive one (Pelech) and if someone claims them, okay. If not, great.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I actually read it somewhere, but it is not worth my time. On a good team, the Hick is an AHL call up.
Gee, can't imagine why it's not worth your time to provide a source...

Especially when you already questioned how it would even be possible. :laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
Reminds me of when we thought Donovan could replace Strait, and we all know how that turned out.

I’ve often referred to Leddy as a “glorified hickey”, but his wheels are what sets him apart. Towes might be similar to Leddy, but who knows how he will handle the transition from AHL to NHL.

Guy could be a scrub in the NHL for all we know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad