Can this roster win it all?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Meh, every team gets crapped on on the main boards to be honest.

Especially teams like the Leafs, Oilers, Canucks, Bruins, etc. who are easy to rip.

Yoko Ono*

You make some valid points.

However, most of the posters in the Blues thread on the main board were Blackhawks fans. There's much more of a mutual hatred between us and them than anyone has with the Preds.

I mean, do the Preds even have a big hated rival like a Blues/Hawks, Pens/Flyers, Habs/Bruins, etc? I say no and that has a lot to do with the praise and such they got on the main boards. Because there isn't a team that truly hates them.

The rivalry with Chicago is one sided just like the one with Detoilet was, the Hawk fans have little to hate about a team they have dominated for years.

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
I have given up on the powerplay ever producing for the Blues in the playoffs, my greater concern is whether the PK starts approaching what it has been in previous years.

I doubt a physical, veteran defenseman would be the difference maker or not, at least not on the 3rd pairing where he'd have to play. Most of them are either maddening to watch when the puck comes near them (see: Jackman, Barrett) or would play on a better pairing than the third typically thus costing quite a bit more.
So unless the team plans to upgrade on Barrett's position (they're not) the player on that side needs to be able to move the puck which pretty much rules out the physical 3rd pairing guy.

Johnny Boychuck would look very nice there if they can get him with a contract that fits.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Johnny Boychuck would look very nice there if they can get him with a contract that fits.

Highly doubt Boychuk takes a contract less than $5M AAV, probably more considering how much Orpik/Niskanen are making.

sst338d

Oct 20, 2014
Highly doubt Boychuk takes a contract less than $5M AAV, probably more considering how much Orpik/Niskanen are making.

This is correct. Boychuk is going to get close to $6m AAV in his next contract. Remember, unrestricted free agents don't get paid what they are worth, they get paid what the market value is.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Heres where we are as of now with pts projections.

Schwartz(73pts)-Lehtrea(58pts)-Tarasenko(88pts)
Steen(68pts)-Backes(56pts)-Oshie(55pts)
Berglund(29pt)-Stastny(51pts)-Jaskin(22pts)
Ott(14pts)-Lapierre(16pts)-Reaves(10pts)

Boumeester(12pts)-Pietrangelo(48pts)
Gunnarson(14pt)-Shattenkirk(70pts)
Jackman(23pts)-Butler(12pts)/Cole(10pts)

Both Schwartz and Tarasenko are projecting to be PPG players, and Shattenkirk is a Hot streak away from obtaining that pace but hes still on an incredble pace now. Pie is starting to getting back to a 50pt pace. The SOB line has gotten back into the form they were in last year, they are greatly benefiting from the scoring depth and the other 3 lines ability to take on the opposing top lines. The obvious weakness would be the 3rd line but its still a solid line and they are starting to produce at a decent rate. This Roster has the best chance of the Rosters ive been around for.

sst338d

Oct 20, 2014
Heres where we are as of now with pts projections.

Schwartz(73pts)-Lehtrea(58pts)-Tarasenko(88pts)
Steen(68pts)-Backes(56pts)-Oshie(55pts)
Berglund(29pt)-Stastny(51pts)-Jaskin(22pts)
Ott(14pts)-Lapierre(16pts)-Reaves(10pts)

Boumeester(12pts)-Pietrangelo(48pts)
Gunnarson(14pt)-Shattenkirk(70pts)
Jackman(23pts)-Butler(12pts)/Cole(10pts)

Both Schwartz and Tarasenko are projecting to be PPG players, and Shattenkirk is a Hot streak away from obtaining that pace but hes still on an incredble pace now. Pie is starting to getting back to a 50pt pace. The SOB line has gotten back into the form they were in last year, they are greatly benefiting from the scoring depth and the other 3 lines ability to take on the opposing top lines. The obvious weakness would be the 3rd line but its still a solid line and they are starting to produce at a decent rate. This Roster has the best chance of the Rosters ive been around for.

I agree with you, yes this is the best complete lineup that the Blues have had in years and actually one of the most complete teams they have ever had. I know every fan tends to pick their teams apart, but Blues fans should be very confident with the lineup the team has. Every team has a weakness and not sure if they can all be filled. I have guys at work that go on and on about how the Blues can never win in the playoffs and even though I am not a diehard Blues fan it just pisses me off, because the people that say it have no clue, they are just negative. I know they haven't had much success in the playoffs the last couple years and they have had some good squads, but right now in the NHL there is not much of a difference in the quality of team from the #1 seed to the #8 seed in both conferences. No matter how good the teams are there are several others just as good, which makes it very difficult to win in the playoffs. And as all hockey real hockey fans know, the game does change in the playoffs. Anyway, the Blues have a great team that can win it all, but the problem is their are several other teams just as good and it makes it tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad