Can this roster win it all?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I guess the question is whether the Blues have a higher gear we haven't seen yet. I kind of think they do. Like the rest of us, they realize that the regular season doesn't matter much as long as you make the playoffs. So I say they could win it, but are not among the favorites.

zachws6

Nov 8, 2010
STL
I guess the question is whether the Blues have a higher gear we haven't seen yet. I kind of think they do. Like the rest of us, they realize that the regular season doesn't matter much as long as you make the playoffs. So I say they could win it, but are not among the favorites.

If the Blues squeak in AND we get to see Tarasenko hit 40+, I'll consider it a successful regular season. :yo:
Just get to the Western Conference Finals though, please.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The Blues as a team have the skills to go all the way. They always have. They don't have the mindset, the desire or the hunger to take the extra step. And that is ingrained in the franchise itself. Change that culture and they will finally win.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
At this point this question seems laughable. Put me squarely in the not a chance in hell corner. If this squad does get in at all i would expect four pretty uneventful games and then time to clear out the lockers. IMHO this team is not close at all and needs to make a big move or maybe even two. This tam is better on paper but on the ice is the weakest squad in about four years. Still time to fix it though so lets see but right now they are right about in the middle in the west which gets them in at the back end, they open on the road and get wiped out in four games. That would bring sweeping changes IMO.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Compare last season team and what we have now.

Last season:

Code:
Steen - Backes - Oshie
Schwartz - Sobotka - Tarasenko
Berglund - Roy - Stewart/Ott
Morrow/Ott - Lapierre - Reaves

Pääjärvi
Jaskin
Cracknell

Jbo - Pietro
Jackman/Leopold - Shattery
Jackman - Polak/Cole/Colaiacovo

Halak
Elliott
Miller

Current season:

Code:
Steen - Backes - Oshie
Schwartz - Lehterä - Tarasenko
Berglund - Stastny - Jaskin/Jocke
Ott - Lapierre - Reaves

Porter 
Pääjärvi

Jbo - Pietro
Gunnar - Shattery
Jackman - Lindbohm/Butler/Cole

Elliott
Allen
Brodeur

Compare those roster gives me idea why not we couldn't make it post-season. Ofc we don't face that same injury slump like last year and how did we compete against Chicago. We all know that Chicago isnt same level like last season. Same is with Kings. Only we have upgraded our roster.

So this topic, very easy to say. Blues can go at the end and I believe them. I don't know, but how we loose some games I don't feel bad or doesnt worries one bit. I think this road to the SC is like marathon. If you burn out before half way, you know you cannot make it at end. Marathon starts on after 30km. I just have this feeling. :bb:

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
I'll believe in them when they can figure out how to score 5-on-3 in the post season. So many games have been thrown away because they spend more time in the box than their opponent and never capitalize on must-score opportunities.

Yoko Ono*

I want to change my answer to yes they can win it all but only if they play Colorado, Arizona and Edmonton and then the Hurricanes in the final then yes they can win it.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
They'll probably dominate the home stand and win every game and then go back on the road and look like the Blues.

It's really hard to be serious lol. I mean....are they for real? This stretch is the first time they have been 100% and oozing chemistry. When they were fully healthy before, well Stastny, Backes and Oshie weren't 100% but they were there. Hitch was trying every thing to cater to Stastny with wingers. He finally gave up about 10 games ago and shoved him down to the 3rd line. Now we see the SOB line back together and look vintage and it turns out Stastny looks like Stastny with 2 guys that couldn't build chemistry with anyone else.

I mean...I want to be hopeful

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Heck yes...and this isn't the last 3 games talking. You have to take a step back and remember that this team is now 25-13-3. You can break down the season into minor stretches and either panic or celebrate because of it. In the aggregate, though, you will notice this is a very good team. Not just record wise but talent wise as well.

Ranksu posted the lines a few posts ago. Wow, what a difference.

Just think about it. We went into last year thinking Backes, Sobotka, Berglund was a good enough group of centers to lead us to a Cup. When I say we, I don't mean me. I had us losing to Chicago in the first round. Our weakness was so obvious all year long and it was never addressed. We opted for a 5% improvement(Army's words) in a position that wasn't truly hurting us.

Fast forward to now and our centers are Backes, Lehtera, Stastny. Yeah, that's a major difference. What was once our biggest weakness is now a strength. The beauty is that these guys have good chemistry with their lines. Lehtera works great with Tarasenko and Schwartz. Backes has always done pretty well with Steen and Oshie. I think Stastny can work well with any somewhat skilled forward(i.e. not Lindstrom, Reaves, Porter, etc).

The depth at forward is formidable. When you can roll out Paul Stastny in a hot streak on your third line, you're going to be a nightmare for defenses. We have seen that since Schwartz came back. Berglund-Stastny-Jaskin are facing third pairing d-men and they are exploiting that matchup.

My number one concern is always health. If we lose anyone from the top 9, our strength takes a hit. If we can go into the playoffs with that group one the ice, I think we can beat anyone. Of course who we lose to injury makes a difference. Losing Schwartz was a killer. We were 1-5-1 without him. Losing Berglund or Jaskin probably doesn't derail us.

I know some think the defense's physicality is a concern. Maybe. I'm more worried about the transition game controllig the puck and getting it up ice in a hurry. This has been a weak point this year but Gunnarsson, who was brought in to help the transition game, has missed half the year. Bouwmeester missed 7-8 games. Now that everyone is healthy on D, they are limiting chances by getting the puck out of the zone in a hurry.
I feel like ever since the Kings series in 2012, when LA completely overwhelmed us with their relentless forecheck, Hitch and Army have made it a point to never let it happen again. It's why they traded for JayBo and Gunn. There was significant improvement in this area from 2012 to 2013 with JayBo on the team and Petro healthy.

In net, I know Brian Elliott isn't sexy but I think he has a calming effect on the team. You know what he is going to give you and it is usually a good performance. Elliott still has to prove himself in the playoffs but he wasn't the problem in the 2013 series vs LA. This year's roster would beat LA with that quality of play in net.

Lastly, the power play is dangerous. This has been a huge problem in the playoffs the last two years. Right now, we have the top power play in hockey. When you watch them work, it's obvious. The puck movement is so ridiculously good.

In my opinion, this is easily the best team the Blues have had in the post-lockout era. I really think we can beat any healthy team in a 7 game series as long as we are somewhat close to healthy, too.

Pesmerga

Nov 13, 2011
They are top 5 contenders. This is the best Blues team i've seen since i started follow them in season 94-95, imo. I still think Chicago and Los Angeles are better then us in the playoffs, though. But we should be able to compete really hard with them if everything clicks this year, possibly even beat them. It would require an unreal preformance however.

The loser history the Blues have in the playoffs are bothersome, it's deep in the club DNA. I could easily see us implode again no mather how good we are. We'll face a hot goalie and its over in 4-6 games as usual.

Atleast now we have true difference makers like Schwartz and Tarasenko, they also have much needed and valuable experience since last year. I'm hopeful but not expecting too much.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
They are top 5 contenders. This is the best Blues team i've seen since i started follow them in season 94-95, imo. I still think Chicago and Los Angeles are better then us in the playoffs, though. But we should be able to compete really hard with them if everything clicks this year, possibly even beat them. It would require an unreal preformance however.

The loser history the Blues have in the playoffs are bothersome, it's deep in the club DNA. I could easily see us implode again no mather how good we are. We'll face a hot goalie and its over in 4-6 games as usual.

Atleast now we have true difference makers like Schwartz and Tarasenko, they also have much needed and valuable experience since last year. I'm hopeful but not expecting too much.

Los Angeles has flirted with missing the playoffs a few times. I have a sneaking suspicion that this year it might actually happen. A couple Central teams are surging, and I actually think Colorado may pull it together and sneak in. If both Wildcards were to come from the Central, all of a sudden things get desperate for the Kings. Current Wildcard standings at the mid-way point (not all teams with same games played):

Kings - 47
Jets - 47
Flames - 45
Stars - 43
Avs - 42
Wild - 41

I think any of those teams could be in the Wildcard (though Minnesota continues to struggle after a short surge). But Dallas and Colorado are rising pretty fast. Calgary refuses to fade.

In the Pacific I don't see Anaheim or Vancouver dropping out. Maybe the Kings could pass the Sharks, but I doubt it. I think they're a wildcard or nothing, and I'd put my money on that being a big story down the stretch: the Kings missing out.

I really hope the Jets and/or Flames manage to get in. The Jets would be a great place to host a game, the crowd would be so frantic.

Balloon

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Los Angeles has flirted with missing the playoffs a few times. I have a sneaking suspicion that this year it might actually happen. A couple Central teams are surging, and I actually think Colorado may pull it together and sneak in. If both Wildcards were to come from the Central, all of a sudden things get desperate for the Kings. Current Wildcard standings at the mid-way point (not all teams with same games played):

Kings - 47
Jets - 47
Flames - 45
Stars - 43
Avs - 42
Wild - 41

I think any of those teams could be in the Wildcard (though Minnesota continues to struggle after a short surge). But Dallas and Colorado are rising pretty fast. Calgary refuses to fade.

In the Pacific I don't see Anaheim or Vancouver dropping out. Maybe the Kings could pass the Sharks, but I doubt it. I think they're a wildcard or nothing, and I'd put my money on that being a big story down the stretch: the Kings missing out.

I really hope the Jets and/or Flames manage to get in. The Jets would be a great place to host a game, the crowd would be so frantic.

Kings miss the playoffs and win the draft lottery for 1st overall pick :(

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Yes. I think the Blues have all they need, and this is coming from one of the "trade Berglund" crowd. It's becoming obvious what he brings to this team, and the line he's on is what he's been lacking for his entire career. I think these guys, Jaskin and Stastny, are what he'll need to start chipping in more on the offensive side of the puck.

As it pertains the rest of the team, you've got three lines that can beat you now. Even the best defensive teams will have a hard time if all three lines are clicking. One wrong matchup can end badly for the other team. If you decide to put your best defenders against the STL line, for example, the Backes line or the Stastny line will burn you.

I was also one who thought that the defense could use more truculence, but I was blind to what the coaching staff was trying to accomplish.

Really key in all this is the powerplay. At the rate we're executing, I see this stealing series let alone games.

Overall, even though I'd like to see more of this healthy roster clicking against the boogeymen, I'm extremely pleased with where we're headed.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
One of the best things about the PP is its deadly off the Blue line, behind the goal and off the half wall.

Last year was basically will FO and send a bomb from the point. If that didn't work...nothing did.

Also teams have to play more conservative with how deadly the PP is

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Yes. I think the Blues have all they need, and this is coming from one of the "trade Berglund" crowd. It's becoming obvious what he brings to this team, and the line he's on is what he's been lacking for his entire career. I think these guys, Jaskin and Stastny, are what he'll need to start chipping in more on the offensive side of the puck.

As it pertains the rest of the team, you've got three lines that can beat you now. Even the best defensive teams will have a hard time if all three lines are clicking. One wrong matchup can end badly for the other team. If you decide to put your best defenders against the STL line, for example, the Backes line or the Stastny line will burn you.

I was also one who thought that the defense could use more truculence, but I was blind to what the coaching staff was trying to accomplish.

Really key in all this is the powerplay. At the rate we're executing, I see this stealing series let alone games.

Overall, even though I'd like to see more of this healthy roster clicking against the boogeymen, I'm extremely pleased with where we're headed.

The Boogeyman to me is Goalies we wind up facing in the playoffs and health. The last 3 years we have lost key players (LA 3 years ago, and Chicago last year). Quick won the series 2 years ago, despite the Blues outplaying them significantly.

Goaltending is the one thing that can bite us. Rinne and Quick are two of the best in the game. Both can steal a series. Truth of the matter, at this point, I would much rather face Chicago then Nashville.

Health and Goaltending.

As for La missing the playoffs, it wouldn't surprise me. Same thing with Boston. They have played a butt load of hockey in the last 4 years and it might be catching up with them. Same with Chicago. This could be the year...

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It may be odd...but I'd rather play the Hawks again or win the division. Predators will be hard core free wheeling, and I could see the Blues playing too conservative and not wanting to blow it.

Meatball

Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I'm less scared of the Hawks than I am the Predators, let's put it that way.*

*=Provided the roster is in the state it's been in the past four games.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yep...we know what we're getting with the hawks.

To be honest though...i view the Preds as last year's Blues. I see them having some issues down the stretch with scoring and can Pekka really keep up this pace?

Meatball

Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
While we're on the subject of the Chicago, I find some of the points they bring up kind of funny:

1) Apparently the Blues needs more experience in the playoffs, when, the first time their won their cup, that they were a fairly new group themselves. The Blues have more than enough experience to build on comparatively speaking, I don't buy this argument at all.

2) We need one more elite winger.

Who is "Vladimir Tarasenko", Alex?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad