Can this roster win it all?

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
It may be odd...but I'd rather play the Hawks again or win the division. Predators will be hard core free wheeling, and I could see the Blues playing too conservative and not wanting to blow it.

My concern with the Hawks is the same that I have with the Kings: mental

I think the Blues grip their sticks a little tighter when they play Chicago and LA due to the past few years of failure against them.

I don't see them playing that way against anyone else.

Plus the Hawks have the explosive talent to take over a game if you take your foot off the gas for even a second. Like Game 6.

Nashville has a team similar to the Blues of the past few years. Except they have a world class goalie. The Preds will outwork you rather than outskill you.

We may be 1-3 vs. Nashville but all four games have been one goal games. We were also missing a couple of key players in each loss. Oshie/Gunnarsson in the first, Bouwmeester/Elliott in the second, and Schwartz/Gunnarsson in the third. We were at full health in the win.
Nashville may have been missing a key piece in those games but this is a different team now. We're rolling out three great forward lines thanks to full health and Jaskin's emergence and Gunnarsson greatly helps the transition game.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I don't think they can win it all without a shakeup of the veteran core that has been here through both series where they blew 2-0 leads in 7 game series. That screams about a lack of on ice leadership. I also think they need more size and grit both at Forward and on D

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I've been torn with this core group until this year. I understand completely there is a lot of season left to play and then the playoffs.

The Blues are 8th in the league in points with 45 boasting a record of 21-10-3. If you just look at that at face value it's a pretty good squad. And that's exactly what I think of the Blues. They're a pretty good squad. I don't see this group of guys winning it all. That's my opinion.

The question is do the Blues brass see things differently or not. I can't see them watching this season up till now and firmly believe they can. But, one never knows.

So going forward with the presumption this core group can not get it done then what's next? Who's top of your list to trade? What makes sense not just short term but long term as well.

I've looked up and down the rosters of the NHL teams. Compared to pretty much every team our defense should be pretty set going forward. So trading any of our D is very unlikely.

That leaves the forwards obviously. Who out there can instantly make this team better right now and long term? I keep coming back to one name, Taylor Hall.

He's signed through 2019-20 for 6 mil per year. That's a hell of deal.
The question becomes would Edmonton entertain offers and what would they be looking for? Toughness and leadership are a couple of glaring needs on Edmonton. Something I'm guessing an old schooler like Mactavish covets.

Here's the deal I would think about and kill me if you would like. Backes, Berglund and Paajarvi if they would take him back for Hall.

In that deal we shed 9.4 mil a year and take on 6. The biggest block in this would look to be the no trade clause with Backes.

Other than something similar to the above deal I don't see how you change the team without giving up prospects. The top 3 being Fabbri, Barbashev, & Rattie.

With the Blues finishing in top 8 or higher we don't see any more elite prospects most likely for the next "X" number of years. To me this team only builds a cup team via the draft at this point.

Kill me with the love only found on HF boards :) & Merry X'mas all!!

If they could get Taylor Hall I would love it, that would cost you a very substantial piece that is here now. If there's any truth to these Lucic for Oshie rumors I would do that in a heartbeat hot streak aside for TJ. I think Lucic is his equal scoring wise and adds key elements of grit and size and has been on winning teams I really like that deal if they can get it done

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If they could get Taylor Hall I would love it, that would cost you a very substantial piece that is here now. If there's any truth to these Lucic for Oshie rumors I would do that in a heartbeat hot streak aside for TJ. I think Lucic is his equal scoring wise and adds key elements of grit and size and has been on winning teams I really like that deal if they can get it done

Lucic will not produce without someone like Stastny. And giving oshie up for him kills the SOB line. It won't help.

As to the core not producing in the post season. But they get another shot. Last year was a train wreck, and they weren't going anywhere with the injuries they sustained going in. Both Backes and Oshie were just warm bodies out there.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Lucic will not produce without someone like Stastny. And giving oshie up for him kills the SOB line. It won't help.

As to the core not producing in the post season. But they get another shot. Last year was a train wreck, and they weren't going anywhere with the injuries they sustained going in. Both Backes and Oshie were just warm bodies out there.

Fair points, it would be a risk because that line is finally humming again

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site

The only thing I keep going back to about the Veteran core group is that they have blown two series where they had 2-0 leads. I would shake it up and trade at least one of them just so the guys in the room know they are accountable for their failiures

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If they fail again and there's no excuse(injury) then yes. Ship a couple out

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Of course they can!

It seems SOB play better when they think they've been demoted to the second line...
Peanut Butter and Jelly is a playoff answer to Justin Williams in waiting...
and if we play the blackhawks, I'd oddly appreciate Lappy and Tarasenko on the ice at the same time a lot.

And as a side note:
This team isn't winning a cup without Berglund. I've never understood the attitude (seemingly widespread) that subscribes to the the penchant to get rid of him.

Last edited:

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
I'm thinking next year is the year with the addition of a physical veteran d-man to play on the right side ...

But when you see them play like this, you have to think this team has a chance. If Elliott gets hot in the playoffs and the power play produces it could happen.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
It's so nice to see someone start a thread on the main boards about the Blues, and everyone comes in and craps all over us. Still going on about how we don't have a #1 C, even though we have Backes, Stastny & Lehtera.

Then someone else starts a thread about Nashville, and it's nothing but 200 posts of praise. Not saying a word about there C depth, even though all they have is Riberio, who isn't a #1 center, and their 2nd & 3rd C's aren't near as good as ours. Still not a negative word said, apparently they can get by and are scary without a #1 C, but not the Blues. It's incredibly frustrating, how much respect a upstart team that's never won anything either gets, over the amount of disrespect Blues fans have to endure on here.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It's so nice to see someone start a thread on the main boards about the Blues, and everyone comes in and craps all over us. Still going on about how we don't have a #1 C, even though we have Backes, Stastny & Lehtera.

Then someone else starts a thread about Nashville, and it's nothing but 200 posts of praise. Not saying a word about there C depth, even though all they have is Riberio, who isn't a #1 center, and their 2nd & 3rd C's aren't near as good as ours. Still not a negative word said, apparently they can get by and are scary without a #1 C, but not the Blues. It's incredibly frustrating, how much respect a upstart team that's never won anything either gets, over the amount of disrespect Blues fans have to endure on here.

You make some valid points.

However, most of the posters in the Blues thread on the main board were Blackhawks fans. There's much more of a mutual hatred between us and them than anyone has with the Preds.

I mean, do the Preds even have a big hated rival like a Blues/Hawks, Pens/Flyers, Habs/Bruins, etc? I say no and that has a lot to do with the praise and such they got on the main boards. Because there isn't a team that truly hates them.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I'm thinking next year is the year with the addition of a physical veteran d-man to play on the right side ...

But when you see them play like this, you have to think this team has a chance. If Elliott gets hot in the playoffs and the power play produces it could happen.

I have given up on the powerplay ever producing for the Blues in the playoffs, my greater concern is whether the PK starts approaching what it has been in previous years.

I doubt a physical, veteran defenseman would be the difference maker or not, at least not on the 3rd pairing where he'd have to play. Most of them are either maddening to watch when the puck comes near them (see: Jackman, Barrett) or would play on a better pairing than the third typically thus costing quite a bit more.
So unless the team plans to upgrade on Barrett's position (they're not) the player on that side needs to be able to move the puck which pretty much rules out the physical 3rd pairing guy.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
While we're on the subject of the Chicago, I find some of the points they bring up kind of funny:

1) Apparently the Blues needs more experience in the playoffs, when, the first time their won their cup, that they were a fairly new group themselves. The Blues have more than enough experience to build on comparatively speaking, I don't buy this argument at all.

2) We need one more elite winger.

Who is "Vladimir Tarasenko", Alex?

The Hawks made the Conference Finals the year before they won their first Cup. To compare, we have 1 series win since the 04-05 lockout. We have been in the dance a few times, but we have very little experience winning in the playoffs. I don't think this precludes us from having a shot, but I think it is a valid argument. I don't think a single poster here would have any doubts about this team if we had lost to the Kings in the Conference Final last year.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range

In the Pred's defense, the past two times they've made the playoffs they've advanced to the second round and that was with an offense that could gently be described as anemic.
True, they've had the benefit of not playing the Hawks/Kings but they do have some proof backing them up.
Rinne is once again playing at 2012 levels (damnit...) and the defense has managed to mostly overcome the loss of Suter. Since everyone is sure Trotz was holding them back (plays a boring defensive style that never wins playoff games, you know) they're now scary.

Plus, they're a feel-good story that plays an up-tempo game and don't have any real rivalry. Their fans dislike the Blues and the Hawks, but honestly I can't say the opposite.
I don't dislike the Preds...I dislike a few players on their team now and again (Neal right now, Hornqvist amd Tootoo previously) and most Hawks fans don't either. As such they don't have their rival chiming in on how horrible the team is like the Blues do.

Kings fans enjoy pointing out that the Blues are the lesser version of themselves, Hawks fans do it because of the fairly obvious rivalry, many Avs fans do because Backes has a habit of threatening toddlers (and Stastny left), a handful of Sharks fans do because they're still bitter, a section of Ottawa fans do because Brian Elliott was a block of swiss cheese there, a whole slew of uninvolved fans do because they see the name Hitchcock and presume boring, trap hockey...
And even then, the Blues have been around for a while in something resembling their current configuration and people have been told for years now in the preseason: This is the year of the Blues.

And every year...well...

Honestly, doubting the Blues is the in thing to do because they have done such a bang-up job previously of allowing themselves to be doubted. That won't change until they move deep into the playoffs and scare the pants off of a team or two.
I joke about the WCF being the equivalent of a Stanley Cup for the Blues, but it's not as much a joke as I wish it were. Until the Blues get to that stage at least, they're going to be rightfully dismissed.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
While we're on the subject of the Chicago, I find some of the points they bring up kind of funny:

1) Apparently the Blues needs more experience in the playoffs, when, the first time their won their cup, that they were a fairly new group themselves. The Blues have more than enough experience to build on comparatively speaking, I don't buy this argument at all.

2) We need one more elite winger.

Who is "Vladimir Tarasenko", Alex?

I'll consider Tarasenko an elite winger when he's managed to do this for a few seasons. Right now he's a 1st line, very good winger.
Elite is something that is thrown around too casually.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I'll consider Tarasenko an elite winger when he's managed to do this for a few seasons. Right now he's a 1st line, very good winger.
Elite is something that is thrown around too casually.

True, still, with what I've seen...the guy has it, he's no fluke by any stretch. Everytime he gets open space in the offensive zone, I literally stop breathing because something might happen, and even when something "doesn't" happen it's still remarkable. While he may not be "elite" in name and establishment, the talent is clearly there.

As for our rivals, I dunno, it'll be real nice to win one so we can shut them all up once and for all.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I see it as a reaction to the annoying Blues fans on the main board. I can't really think of any Preds fans that have a presence there that come off as annoying.

Frankly I don't care what folks on the main board think of us. But I wish that Blues fans that go there would represent the rest of us more respectably than they sometimes do.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I see it as a reaction to the annoying Blues fans on the main board. I can't really think of any Preds fans that have a presence there that come off as annoying.

Frankly I don't care what folks on the main board think of us. But I wish that Blues fans that go there would represent the rest of us more respectably than they sometimes do.

Right, and I think that comes with our team having more success. More success = more "diverse" fan group.

The same thing will eventually happen to Nashville if they continue their current pace.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL

I very rarely, if ever post on the main board. Even in defense of The Blues, because it ultimately just leads to more trash thrown in our direction. And I simply don't feel like arguing with people who are not gonna change the minds, or even give the team the benefit of the doubt.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
I very rarely, if ever post on the main board. Even in defense of The Blues, because it ultimately just leads to more trash thrown in our direction. And I simply don't feel like arguing with people who are not gonna change the minds, or even give the team the benefit of the doubt.

Well we're a trap team, Backes is a goon and Elliott is horrible, so what are you gonna do?

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park

The main board is gross–every other post is passive-aggressive nonsense.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Notice how it's always the Blues fans that never post here stirring **** up on the main board. :shakehead

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad