Speculation: Can this be the year that Dubas/Keefe rely heavily on prospects to play bigger roles?

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
How ? With who? Who did the leafs draft that could make an impact on the Marlies?
By the start of the 22-23 season the Marlies should have Niemela, Rindell, Hirvonen, Holmberg and Amirov coming over. Although I think Amirov likely challenges to make the Leafs by then. Then you have Abramov, Abruzzese and possibly Miettinen graduating from Junior/college. Add that to Woll/ Scott being another year older as well as SDA, Kral, Kokkonen and the Marlies should have another fairly skilled team.

Reactions: aingefan

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
And? Marleau was under contract. Leafs were under no obligation.

I don’t blame Marleau for wanting a trade after the Leafs hired a stick boy to run the team, but Dubas was soft and gave in. Traded a 1st to move a player that shouldn’t have moved if that was the cost.

Johnsson and Kapanen were gone either way with his cap structure - They should have been moved one offseason earlier.

Dubas’ solution cost them Seth Jarvis or another prospect in that range.
Marleau put his house up for sale and DEMANDED A TRADE.
Let that sink in. Clownshoes

Reactions: Rocker13

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Marleau put his house up for sale and DEMANDED A TRADE.
Let that sink in. Clownshoes
Sink in? I think most are familiar with the story. Are you familiar with how contracts work in pro sports? Clown shoes.

The team was under no obligation. If he failed to report, I’m sure there’d be some sort of cap relief.

Trading their first to move him was never the only option, and shouldn’t have even been an option.

Lamoriello just traded an even uglier contract in Andrew Ladd in the midst of this flat cap for lesser assets.

Trading a 1st in that situation was stupid.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Sink in? I think most are familiar with the story. Are you familiar with how contracts work in pro sports? Clown shoes.

The team was under no obligation. If he failed to report, I’m sure there’d be some sort of cap relief.

Trading their first to move him was never the only option, and shouldn’t have even been an option.
Well seeing as that’s what the people in charge of the situation ended up doing vs. Some random internet posters feelings on being hardlined AF to the point you probably drive away other players by alienating someone respected like patty.
No one liked doing that deal, but direct your anger at those responsible for laying such an egg of a contract (Lou) and not the team responsible for cleaning up his mess

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Lamoriello just traded an even uglier contract in Andrew Ladd in the midst of this flat cap for lesser assets.

Trading a 1st in that situation was stupid.
Good post.
Dubas' (mis)handling of the whole situation is really indefensible.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
By the start of the 22-23 season the Marlies should have Niemela, Rindell, Hirvonen, Holmberg and Amirov coming over. Although I think Amirov likely challenges to make the Leafs by then. Then you have Abramov, Abruzzese and possibly Miettinen graduating from Junior/college. Add that to Woll/ Scott being another year older as well as SDA, Kral, Kokkonen and the Marlies should have another fairly skilled team.
You just named every prospect. Every team has 10-15 prospects. This doesn’t mean anything

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
You just named every prospect. Every team has 10-15 prospects. This doesn’t mean anything
Thats kind of the point though. In my first post you replied to i said that all our prospects have either graduated or busted/ been moved. The Marlies roster this year consisted mostly of AHL lifers and undrafted free agents that they were devoid of talent. These players that I named have lots of talent and have had some success at different levels including some of them playing major roles on pro men's teams already as teenagers. This is the next wave of Johnssons, Kapanens or Liljegrens.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The good news is that we have some quality prospects that should be ready to step in and make an impact next season such as Robertson, Sandin, and Liljegren.

Brooks looked like he is also ready for a full time role in the bottom six.

Maybe Anderson will get a sniff as well.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
One thing I've noticed about championship teams (Tampa Bay Lightning, Washington Capitals, TFC, Raptors) etc is that they have had a lot of continuity within the group. This is an underrated element of winning. With the leafs turning over 8-9 players every year for cheaper ELC players it breaks up the group and they have to re-teach all the new systems every single year. It really hurts them imho.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Sandin and Robertson can play now. Robertson earning his way up the lineup from Th line and Sandin earning his way up from the 3rd pair.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
If Kerfoot is gone tomorrow then we are back to having 17 Roster players according to Cap Friendly.Bring up Robertson,Sandin & Lilj then sign 3 more forwards knowing you have a bit of salary cap breathing room.

Sep 18, 2009
If Kerfoot is gone tomorrow then we are back to having 17 Roster players according to Cap Friendly.Bring up Robertson,Sandin & Lilj then sign 3 more forwards knowing you have a bit of salary cap breathing room.
Get some goons to fill the lineup

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Wouldn't mind rolling the dice with Robertson as 2LW and Liljegren as 3RHD.

Gotta see what they have.

Sandin, Brooks, Anderson will also get time but as substitutes unless they steal a spot.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Sandin, Brooks, Anderson will also get time but as substitutes unless they steal a spot.

They really need some ELC's to kick in and play a bigger role. Though if you're looking for bleh contracts to get rid of, maybe Dermott and Engvall won't be missed if you needed to trim some fat.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021

This is where I’m at. Worst case they’re too green and we add depth at the TDL

Reactions: saffronleaf

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
And? Marleau was under contract. Leafs were under no obligation.

I don’t blame Marleau for wanting a trade after the Leafs hired a stick boy to run the team, but Dubas was soft and gave in. Traded a 1st to move a player that shouldn’t have moved if that was the cost.

Johnsson and Kapanen were gone either way with his cap structure - They should have been moved one offseason earlier.

Dubas’ solution cost them Seth Jarvis or another prospect in that range.
The Leafs have never hired a stick boy to run the team.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
While not handing anyone a job, I would like to see:

*Liljegren on the right side with Muzzin. Sheltered minutes to begin, with growing responsibilities. I think Muzz would be a solid mentor/coach/partner for TL. I do not want to see a Liljegren/Sandin pairing.
*Robertson on the wing with Tavares and Marner. He may or may not be ready, but I would like to see him on a line where his shot can be utilized and he's not asked to do too much.
*If Brooks is capable, I'm fine with him at 4C, but I'm unsure...to be determined.
*Sandin to dominate with the Marlies and rotate with the Leafs as needed.
*I don't know if Anderson can be a 3rd/4th line winger, haven't seen him, would he be in a rotation with Simmonds?

I can't think of anyone else who might be able to crack the line-up.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If the Leafs are looking to plug holes with players like Sandin, Lilly and Robertson to save cap dollars I am all for it.

I would not blink twice to put them all in the lineup with big minutes. They will not do any worse then players like Bogo, Dermott and Gally,

Place those players in the lineup at low cost instead of bringing in vets a minimum that wont produce as much. Right now developing these players should be the objective.

Put Robertson full time with Tavares. Put Sandin and Lilly together as bottom pairing.

Trade Dermott in package to upgrade top LW spot next to Mathews.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
It seems unlikely when you resign Simmonds to a 2 year deal. Dubas just spent an asset (Hallander) who was projected to be ready to fight for a bottom six role in this upcoming training camp so that they could hold onto Kerfoot. Sandin and Liljegren both should be ready for full time duty however it appears as though only 6th and 7th D spots are available unless a trade to remove a Dman of the roster is made.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
It seems unlikely when you resign Simmonds to a 2 year deal. Dubas just spent an asset (Hallander) who was projected to be ready to fight for a bottom six role in this upcoming training camp so that they could hold onto Kerfoot. Sandin and Liljegren both should be ready for full time duty however it appears as though only 6th and 7th D spots are available unless a trade to remove a Dman of the roster is made.
We is also brining a gangsta type for a bogosian (whom we will lose). A g-type for our D is a must, since bogosian doesn't play for us anymore. This is a fact. It might be some real fool, dork whom costs us just under a million dollards per season sire. So that's fun and cheap. But yeah, a blocka with the heavy body is the need after bogosian is lost. Any of our young suckas can't do that there. They ain't gangsta.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
While not handing anyone a job, I would like to see:

*Liljegren on the right side with Muzzin. Sheltered minutes to begin, with growing responsibilities. I think Muzz would be a solid mentor/coach/partner for TL. I do not want to see a Liljegren/Sandin pairing.
*Robertson on the wing with Tavares and Marner. He may or may not be ready, but I would like to see him on a line where his shot can be utilized and he's not asked to do too much.
*If Brooks is capable, I'm fine with him at 4C, but I'm unsure...to be determined.
*Sandin to dominate with the Marlies and rotate with the Leafs as needed.
*I don't know if Anderson can be a 3rd/4th line winger, haven't seen him, would he be in a rotation with Simmonds?

I can't think of anyone else who might be able to crack the line-up.

I'd go with something like...

Galchenyuk* - Matthews - Nylander
Robertson - Tavares - Marner
Foligno* - McCann - Mikheyev
Engvall - Spezza - Simmonds

Brooks, Anderson

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Liljegren

Sandin, Marincin

Campbell
Ullmark*

Hutchinson, Woll

Basically run it right back, lol. Make moves at the deadline if needed.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I'd go with something like...

Galchenyuk* - Matthews - Nylander
Robertson - Tavares - Marner
Foligno* - McCann - Mikheyev
Engvall - Spezza - Simmonds

Brooks, Anderson

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Liljegren

Sandin, Marincin

Campbell
Ullmark*

Hutchinson, Woll

Basically run it right back, lol. Make moves at the deadline if needed.

Unfortunately if rumors are correct McCann is going to the Kraken. And to be honest that isnt the worst news as Kerfoot is the better player as he showed in the playoffs.

My lineup would be as follows:

Hoffman * - Matthews - Marner
Gally * - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Kerfoot - Micheyev
Simmonds - Nash * - Spezza
Brooks

Reilly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Lilly

Campbell
* Rittich

Trade Engvall and Dermott for depth Dman and picks

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
One thing I've noticed about championship teams (Tampa Bay Lightning, Washington Capitals, TFC, Raptors) etc is that they have had a lot of continuity within the group. This is an underrated element of winning. With the leafs turning over 8-9 players every year for cheaper ELC players it breaks up the group and they have to re-teach all the new systems every single year. It really hurts them imho.

These are the flaws in the bargain bin strategy. We have to hope someone good comes available and wants to play under some of the worst media conditions...for less. Now that's a plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad