Pre-Game Talk: Can the Oilers win in Windy City?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
We have given up a goal in the first minute of play in roughly 30% of our games this year. This stat goes back to Cam Talbot.

Taken the first penalty of the game in 75% of our games with the 29th worst PK in the league.

Been scored on first in 62% of our games this season.

The players have become conditioned to absolute garbage starts over the years and the engine doesn’t fully engage till between the 10 minute mark of the 1st and start of the 2nd. I go to games expecting to be down 1-0.

We have a collective players head up the ass issue on this team.
Agreed. One other attribute though that they have had to develop or demonstrate is a commitment to play through a full 60 being down in the game. Heck, it’s gotten the win the last 2 games. I think Woodcroft call it sticktoit-iveness.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We have given up a goal in the first minute of play in roughly 30% of our games this year. This stat goes back to Cam Talbot.

Taken the first penalty of the game in 75% of our games with the 29th worst PK in the league.

Been scored on first in 62% of our games this season.

The players have become conditioned to absolute garbage starts over the years and the engine doesn’t fully engage till between the 10 minute mark of the 1st and start of the 2nd. I go to games expecting to be down 1-0.

We have a collective players head up the ass issue on this team.
Even in the playoff run it was an issue as we often found ourselves trailing early, sometimes by multiple goals. And you're absolutely correct that this is nothing new, too often we give up a goal on the first shot or take an early penalty (especially after we open the scoring) that just kills momentum. We have seen what this team can do when it comes out motivated from the get-go... Hopefully that happens tonight.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I wouldn't mind seeing Holloway Nuge Pulj as a line if we keep Hyman on the top line.
Do Pulju and Nuge work well together?

I like the McDrai+Kane/hyman
Hyman Nuge Kostin combos top 6.
Then
3rd line work well with Fogele/Järnmark McLeod Pulju

4th line is the rest Fogele/Järnmark Holloway Malone/Ryan/Benson/Hamblin

There is depth in bottom 6 at least.

Shore is pressed out to AHL.

Now lets see if Hollands bet on Broberg being the chosen one is correct...
I would rather trade a 1st for a solid D.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Regarding the topic of playing down to opponents:

Oilers were 29-10-2 vs non-playoff teams last year

And by my count they are 8-4 vs teams not currently in a playoff spot right now compared to 4-6 vs current playoff teams. Seems like the playing down to the opponent concern is a bit of an outdated concern.

They just seem to play down to specific opponents. Chicago one of them, Buffalo and Detroit others for example.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It seems like our strategy to not giving up the first goal is to be overly aggressive trying to get the first one which many times leads to teams capitalizing on mistakes. I wonder if it might be worth trying to put a line together of reliable veteran guys to start games.

Janmark - Ryan - Hyman or something to start us off, lets play a safe, boring game for the first few shifts then start to up the pressure. We’re not going to try and generate odd man rushes and grade A scoring chances right off the bat, we’re going to be responsible in our own zone and in the other end we’re going to get pucks in deep, go to work and try to get a few early shots on net.

Get through the first 8-10 minutes of the game on even ground then get into your preferred line combos and up the pace. Teams are clearly game planning for our poor starts and we need to counter that somehow.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Need to win this. We play Minny 3 times after and if I recall our record against the Wild is shit.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Hope I get to see this game. We are getting hit with another rain storm and winds and I suspect we will have mass outages again for days. Whatever Fiona didnt destroy in that hurricane will be brought down in this mess

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Hope I get to see this game. We are getting hit with another rain storm and winds and I suspect we will have mass outages again for days. Whatever Fiona didnt destroy in that hurricane will be brought down in this mess
frick, stay safe to all our Maritimer friends.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What scares me, is that this team keeps falling behind in games, and fortunately, were able to pull the last 2 out of the fire. Then they congratulate themselves after the game, saying things like,"we have the team that can come back in games." That may be true to a certain extent, compared to other teams in the league, but it's a dangerous recipe to rely on, and a big reason they are only 2 games above .500.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
What scares me, is that this team keeps falling behind in games, and fortunately, were able to pull the last 2 out of the fire. Then they congratulate themselves after the game, saying things like,"we have the team that can come back in games." That may be true to a certain extent, compared to other teams in the league, but it's a dangerous recipe to rely on, and a big reason they are only 2 games above .500.

The lack of killer scoring instinct is one of the elements that is killing us at the moment IMO. When we are actually playing well we never seem to be able to score more than one goal at a time (if that) and then we put ourselves in positions to blow it all up when the defense, PK or goaltending inevitably fails.

I'm not sure if it's possible to look this stat up or not, but I would be curious to see how many times we have scored two consecutive goals this season when tied or leading. I *think* we have only scored consecutive goals in a tied or leading position three times this season based on memory. That's terrible.

Even if we are in a position with our play to be front runners, we can never seem to score more than one f***ing goal.

Reactions: Duke74

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Uhh that’s what happens when 4 of you top 9 is out?

Forgive him, he just got back from a 48 hour shift and his realtor that’s buddy-buddy with Hall didn’t let him know that these guys were out or something like that

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
frick, stay safe to all our Maritimer friends.
Thx pal
Fall has been great weather since Fiona . Not sure what we r getting hit with. We have a weather warning. I’m in a hotel on 12th floor in Halifax pretty close to ocean. Wind is picking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad