Can the Jets win the Stanley Cup This Year ?

Can The Jet's Win The Stanley Cup This Year ? Do they have enough ???

• Yes I think they they Have the players to win this year

• I think they will within 1-3 years

• I think they need 1 more dominant player to win

• No, the Team doesn't have the talent needed

Results are only viewable after voting.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Im one who thinks we are quite good. But yet for some reason a first round matchup vs Minny or STL still scares me. I hope we make a statement in playoffs at the very least.
Dunno man our side doesn't scare me as much as TB or Pitt does.
It WOULD be pretty funny for a franchise that’s never won a playoff game to win the Stanley Cup.

If we did upgrade anywhere, I actually wouldn’t mind seeing Enstrom replaced with another LHD.
Funnier than an expansion team winning the President's cup? League is about to be flipped soon with TML and WPG moving themselves into contention. CHI falling off, WSH window will close soon. Now if PIT would just go away for a while.

Reactions: GNP and Ducky10

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Shouldn't that be delivered with less emotion? ;)

Perhaps you should know that I can find some things alarming.
Humans are often quick to pounce on what they hope is another being's error.

Spock_shocked.jpg

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Their weak points are 1) Lack of playoff experience, and 2) Uncertain goaltending, in the sense that they rely too much on Hellebuyck. If he goes down (injury or capability), then there's not much back-up to be expected.

I think the biggest factor will be #1, in most likelihood. Only Byfuglien, Hendricks, Perreault and Wheeler have any mentionable playoff experience, so there's a lot of uncertainty. Especially since only one D-man has any sort of experience.

Reactions: Airsmail

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Can they.....yes for sure.

For the first time in 1.0 and 2.0 history I think they have the talent to be one of the inner circle teams that is a true “contender”. Time will tell if they have to lose first before climbing to the top of the mountain. Historically that has been how teams get to the top in the NHL but I am not a fan of embracing limiting beliefs. There are always exceptions to every rule.
The 84-85 Jets finished 4th overall and had a talented roster that had a chance to be an inner circle team. Of course that was the year Hawerchuk was injured for during the Calgary series and then got swept by the Oilers.

This team is a better one though imo, and of course unlike that era there is no juggernaut like Edmonton to have to get past. There are several legitimate teams that can win this year including Winnipeg. Lots of factors of course and that tempered playoff edge has to be there if they win a couple of rounds.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I believe the Jets can, but not convinced the Jets will win the Cup. I'm struggling with wanting to go all in, but remembering the times the Jets have broken my heart.

If the Jets are to go on a deep run, leading to a Conference or Cup final, it will be on the backs of players like Lowry, Hendricks, Tanev, Copp, Chairot and Poolman. Those are the difference makers; players that will give the Jets an advantage in multiple heavy, physical long series. Knock Enstrom out? Chiarot or Poolman will fill in without a ripple. Want to throw out a 4th line goon squad? Lowry and the boys will forecheck them into next Tuesday, allowing the cycle time and space for line changes.

Vegas or LA trying to out muscle the Jets? Lowry, Perreault, Tanev, Lemieux and Copp get deployed to make the other teams defensive zone into the devil zone, and the neutral zone into the nightmare zone. As shown in the last two games, the forechecking and neutral zone stickwork keep the Jets on the offensive side far more often than not. The smothering speed game that Maurice has crafted is yielding turnovers and chances unlike any other systems he's utilized.

The development aspect of this team has been under the radar until recently, but even the most pessimistic HF Jets members can't help but notice the improvement of Chiarot, Tanev Lemieux, and dare I say, even Petan. Depth players are always key to playoff success (even to the 80's Oilers and 90's Penguins), and the Jets management has done a masterful job with the developmental players.

They need to win the first series staying with the systems and taking their game to the other team. If that happens? I'd say all bets are off. The Jets could go to the final round.

As an aside, I can't even imagine the insanity in Winnipeg should the Jets push to the 4th round. I'll probably need diapers for a Cup series.

Really good and well thought out post here -- and I think the only thing that would stop the Jet's is a lack of experience on the "big stage"

I remember the very talented Oilers team of the mid 1980's were knocked out in the final by the New York Islanders-- but they made it to the final in their first year. The next year they faced the Islanders again in the final and swept them in 4 games straight I believe. ( maybe 5-6 ) tops.

So, this very young Jets team may face that lack of experience, and go down to a veteran team -- but that's how you learn. Good luck Jets !!!

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd say yes, considering where we are, what we've done this year especially with key injuries.

My thought didn't really have a voting option. I do think we need to add just for injury. I think our roster - if healthy, is good enough

I am not really anxious to add a forward (though a guy like Grabner or Letestu would be great), BUT I think we really need to get a top 4 rental on the back end. With Enstrom and Myers being injury prone (and Buff to some extent) andd not knowing how Trouba will bounce back we need a high performer and I'd also love to get a 6-8 guy too just in case. If we are down 3 D men we start scraping the barrel for warm bodies to play and that could really hurt us.

I'd also go and get a backup goalie. We have no one I really trust for that role, especially with the concussion issues. Getting a good backup should be pretty cheap.

I am actually excited for the trade deadline for the first time in years :)

Great post here-- but I don't think it's the defense that will win us the Cup, but they will play a very strong supporting part. It will be our potent offense and scoring machine up front that wins it for us, if we are able to win it all.

Myers and Enstrom have been injury prone, but Myers is looking pretty solid this year, and looks like his surgery was successful. I think he'll go the distance, and we'll need his scoring. As for Toby -- I hope he makes it thru.

And yes-- you need a lot of "male testosterone" to play hockey :)

Isn't it great to see us talking about a Cup, instead of a wild card entry !!! -- with a 60% voting that we can win the Cup this year, it says us fan's really believe in this team !!!

Reactions: Georgetown Al

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Roslovic and Connor's Development has been handled masterfully by the organization. The always underrated "Development" side of Draft and Develop.

If Connor had been drafted by Edmonton, I bet he wouldn't be nearly the player he is today.

Very good post here on Maurice's development of our young players -he has done a masterful job, and getting them to play with confidence, and play big roles in getting the Jets to where they are in the standings.

I really like the way Roslovic is playing lately, but I think they would get more mileage and better results out of him playing as a center ice man. He's not a sniper like Connor, but he has a good shot. What I have noticed is he's strong on the puck, and a very fast skater, and a great playmaker. He really should center our 3rd line.

Also Chevy and his scouting team have to be given "major credit" for their foresight in seeing the potential in these young guys, and making great drafting decisions.

Reactions: libertarian

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Reactions: ruffus23

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
First post.

For this year, does anyone (else) think the Jets need a player like Lowry in certain playoff games? I'm not sure who might be available that would fit the bill.
You stole my alternate Avvy! :) Its good though......cant have enough black aces.

....oh and to your question. Yes, we NEED Adam Lowry for the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: one other person

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
In the playoffs you need your goalie to put in a monster performance. If we can get that from Helly we can take down anyone.

All the pieces are in place. Sometimes all you can do is hope for the best.

Reactions: GNP

one other person

Tripping thru time and space
Feb 19, 2018
Sunny St. Somewhere
You stole my alternate Avvy! :) Its good though......cant have enough black aces.

....oh and to your question. Yes, we NEED Adam Lowry for the playoffs.

It was a good, disturbing movie.

Do we need Lowry enough to go out and get a quasi-Lowry if Adam’s not available? I have a feeling the coach might think so.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
It is very intense to think we're close...we are......

but.....

we're 60 games into something hopefully enormous and earth shattering....

but...

60 games , we need more yet.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
My preseason prediction was to make it to the second round. I still think this is our likely finish.

The Jets do have the talent and depth to go all the way but as many pointed out, we don’t have playoff experience. I like our chances better in 1-3 years from now.

Look at it this way. If the Jets have a 60% to beat their first round opponent and a 40% chance to beat Nashville in the second round, mathematically, we have only a 24% to make it to the Conference Final.

This will be a dog fight and a lot of things will impact this (injuries, upsets, playoff heroes/dogs). It really is a crap shoot and this will be our first time into this frenzy.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Can they? Yes. They are nearly certain (like, Ivory Soap levels of certainty) to get a playoff spot, and they're one of the top teams in the league for a reason.

Are they likely to? No. But no team is "likely" to win the cup. Even the best team in the most lopsided years of the league will be VERY hard pressed to be better than 25% to win the cup, which would still make them a 3-1 underdog.

Are they among the favorites to? Yes. By both Moneypuck and SportsClubStats, they are a top 5 team (4th @ 11.1% and 1st @ 11.9%, respectively). But even taking that at face value, of course, that means they're still 8-1 underdogs to do so :P

On a non-mathematical level, I think the things people are citing as working against them (lack of proven goaltending and playoff experience) may just as easily work out in their favor for a cinderella run (no expectations and absolutely no playoff ennui whatsoever). I believe it's a 1 in 6 chance that even an average goalie has at playing at a Vezina SV% level for a 15 game span. Surely that portends well that an above-average goalie can absolutely get on a heater, right?

But put me in the camp of liking this team's chances even better later in the decade. All the more reason to start rooting for the dynasty this year :D

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I think we need to see how Ehlers Lowry Laine will look before we start favouring them but if that line can work I think it helps us a lot. In all honesty for Laine + Ehlers to work they look to need a big strong fore checker who can cause O-Zone turnovers and presser while playing good in the D-Zone, so I think Lowry fits the bill but who knows chemistry is a weird thing.

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Trying to balance this out a bit and point out what Wheeler has said recently. We need to pump the brakes a bit. After last night's loss, we are actually only 4 wins above the line of even making the playoffs in the very difficult Western conference. Yeah, I know with 3 point games, 8 points is a decent cushion. But there are over over 20 games left. In the words of Blake Wheeler, we haven't won anything yet. Let's get into the playoffs. I am not a big fan of all this Stanley Cup talk.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
I would be happy with just one...just one banner of the Jets hanging at MTS......Jets 1.0 (NHL) never got one..A Division banner, Conference banner...OMG cup banner...would be great.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
My answer on whether they can or not depends on whether Lowry, Tanev, and Trouba are playing. All our skill is great but I believe the absence of the above has been felt even more than the loss of Schief was.

This is not to say Scheifele isn’t important. He’s hugely important and a great player. We need him too. But we have more similar players who can step up to fill the gap whereas we are really lacking without Lowry, Tanev and Trouba. Can’t believe I’m saying Trouba because I personally really dislike him but I can’t deny what he brings to the team. Although given a choice Lowry is my #1 must have and if there are question marks over his health for the rest of the season then I think the Jets need to go get a “quasi Lowry”.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
My answer on whether they can or not depends on whether Lowry, Tanev, and Trouba are playing. All our skill is great but I believe the absence of the above has been felt even more than the loss of Schief was.

This is not to say Scheifele isn’t important. He’s hugely important and a great player. We need him too. But we have more similar players who can step up to fill the gap whereas we are really lacking without Lowry, Tanev and Trouba. Can’t believe I’m saying Trouba because I personally really dislike him but I can’t deny what he brings to the team. Although given a choice Lowry is my #1 must have and if there are question marks over his health for the rest of the season then I think the Jets need to go get a “quasi Lowry”.

Trouba is the piece that sways the pendulum.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad