Can the Jets win the Stanley Cup This Year ?

Can The Jet's Win The Stanley Cup This Year ? Do they have enough ???

• Yes I think they they Have the players to win this year

• I think they will within 1-3 years

• I think they need 1 more dominant player to win

• No, the Team doesn't have the talent needed

Results are only viewable after voting.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
I believe the Jets can, but not convinced the Jets will win the Cup. I'm struggling with wanting to go all in, but remembering the times the Jets have broken my heart.

If the Jets are to go on a deep run, leading to a Conference or Cup final, it will be on the backs of players like Lowry, Hendricks, Tanev, Copp, Chairot and Poolman. Those are the difference makers; players that will give the Jets an advantage in multiple heavy, physical long series. Knock Enstrom out? Chiarot or Poolman will fill in without a ripple. Want to throw out a 4th line goon squad? Lowry and the boys will forecheck them into next Tuesday, allowing the cycle time and space for line changes.

Vegas or LA trying to out muscle the Jets? Lowry, Perreault, Tanev, Lemieux and Copp get deployed to make the other teams defensive zone into the devil zone, and the neutral zone into the nightmare zone. As shown in the last two games, the forechecking and neutral zone stickwork keep the Jets on the offensive side far more often than not. The smothering speed game that Maurice has crafted is yielding turnovers and chances unlike any other systems he's utilized.

The development aspect of this team has been under the radar until recently, but even the most pessimistic HF Jets members can't help but notice the improvement of Chiarot, Tanev Lemieux, and dare I say, even Petan. Depth players are always key to playoff success (even to the 80's Oilers and 90's Penguins), and the Jets management has done a masterful job with the developmental players.

They need to win the first series staying with the systems and taking their game to the other team. If that happens? I'd say all bets are off. The Jets could go to the final round.

As an aside, I can't even imagine the insanity in Winnipeg should the Jets push to the 4th round. I'll probably need diapers for a Cup series.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
As good a chance as any of the top 5 teams. I think their aggressive Ozone style is good for wearing teams down in a 7 game series. When they're on, opposing defenses simply have no answer for our speed size and tenacity.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'd say yes, considering where we are, what we've done this year especially with key injuries.

My thought didn't really have a voting option. I do think we need to add just for injury. I think our roster - if healthy, is good enough

I am not really anxious to add a forward (though a guy like Grabner or Letestu would be great), BUT I think we really need to get a top 4 rental on the back end. With Enstrom and Myers being injury prone (and Buff to some extent) andd not knowing how Trouba will bounce back we need a high performer and I'd also love to get a 6-8 guy too just in case. If we are down 3 D men we start scraping the barrel for warm bodies to play and that could really hurt us.

I'd also go and get a backup goalie. We have no one I really trust for that role, especially with the concussion issues. Getting a good backup should be pretty cheap.

I am actually excited for the trade deadline for the first time in years :)

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Sure, it is definitely possible, although not maybe very likely. I see even an unfortunate exit in the first round as possible, but quite unlikely too. The NHL is an extremely tight and even league, and I think it is a bit of a lottery often, which teams will after all be in the finals.

But definitely the Pens are again the real favorite for me. Sure they have been pretty meh for a lot of this season, but they have already started to really put their game together, and they do still have the definitely best team skillwise, so there’s no question for me that they will be again the team to beat. Also Nashville should be extremely good again in the playoffs, and I honestly don’t believe in Vegas choking, as they have been built around very hard working but also enough skilled players that should really do well in the playoffs too.

But sure, the Jets are one team that should have some chances too, and I will definitely be rooting for them all the way. But I think exchanging Enström to a bigger and better D-man could still improve the Jets quite a lot, if it would happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The team definitely has the talent to make some noise but only 4 different teams have won a cup in the last 9 years and all but one of those teams have done it more than once. The playoffs isn't some magical place where anything can happen. It seems to be more predictable than anything. Hopefully this is a year where a new team joins the group.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
First step is to win a playoff game. Then lets see if we can win a series. Those two would be a big accomplishment for the franchise.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
Only if totally healthy
I agree with this, but unfortunately they will not stay healthy IMO. They will be subject to at least 2 major injuries which will ultimately cause their demise. Unless of course a trade or 2 is made to shore up their cause. We shall see in the next few days.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The Jets have a great chance as long as Maurice coaches up to his potential :)
They have a chance if Maurice coaches the team up to it's potential. Which he has so far, if that continues in the playoffs they can win it.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
This probably isn't our year for the cup run - no playoff experience. We will have to give up too much. Unless you can acquire on the cheap, bank the playoff experience this year, to help with future campaigns.

BTW, it didn't have to be this way. We could have had some playoff experience coming into this year. But that is discussed on other threads.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
This probably isn't our year for the cup run - no playoff experience. We will have to give up too much. Unless you can acquire on the cheap, bank the playoff experience this year, to help with future campaigns.

BTW, it didn't have to be this way. We could have had some playoff experience coming into this year. But that is discussed on other threads.

We’re winning this mofo.
Go hard or go home.
No sense having half assed expectations

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Can they.....yes for sure.

For the first time in 1.0 and 2.0 history I think they have the talent to be one of the inner circle teams that is a true “contender”. Time will tell if they have to lose first before climbing to the top of the mountain. Historically that has been how teams get to the top in the NHL but I am not a fan of embracing limiting beliefs. There are always exceptions to every rule.

Reactions: buggs and GNP

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
If the unthinkable happened and Helle gets injured we absolutely need the tenders to pick us up:
The rest of the roster is rock solid

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
We’re winning this mofo.
Go hard or go home.
No sense having half assed expectations

There's sense in being realistic. Look at recent years and tell me what rentals put a team over the top to win the cup? Blindly running in with the mentality that you're preaching is a sure way to ruin the future while marginally improving our chances at a cup.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
There's sense in being realistic. Look at recent years and tell me what rentals put a team over the top to win the cup? Blindly running in with the mentality that you're preaching is a sure way to ruin the future while marginally improving our chances at a cup.
I’m not talking about rentals as much as I think we have enough talent as is.
My only concern is goal tending

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad