OT: Can someone help me understand how to watch as an out-of-towner?

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
I subscribe to ESPN+ and use NordVPN. You open the VPN and pick a city/area on the map to stream from, I use an East Coast city for majority of Coyotes' games and then change it when they go out East to San Francisco say. You can watch every single non-ESPN Coyotes' game this way, live or recorded. You can choose home or away broadcast.

For Coyotes' games on ESPN+, you can't watch them for like 48 hours. There were like 8 last year I think. You can set it all to spoiler free easily too. When those ESPN+ games showed up, I'd just avoid all hockey news for like 3 days until I caught up. I'd end up watching the game the next day right after the ESPN+ one came available.

That's the drawback. The other benefit is you can watch pretty much any team whenever you want unless it's the ESPN+ game. I can't remember how Canadian feeds went and I don't remember if I ever geolocated from Canada.

You might be able to find a country that has the perfect blend of zero NHL contract that would let you watch everything because the NHL has no hockey contract there. I am not yet re-subscribed so I can't look this up, but you might be able to get some NCAA games via it too.

As for watching it on TV, you can stream it to a device/TV via those means. I did find the quality wasn't as good so I tended to not cast it to the TV, but I live in Australia and we have DSL still... I did the streaming from the computer to the TV, but the VPN has an app. The issue is that you need to figure out how to put your phone onto a VPN, log into ESPN+ while VPN'd somewhere, and then you cast it. I didn't want to deal with it, but I think it's feasible if you really want to run an app through a VPN on your phone to cast it to the TV.
So you subscribe to ESPN+, but they won't let you watch the games that are exclusively on ESPN+ live!?!? What the f***...

I was gonna go ESPN+ and VPN from Arizona, but that is a dealbreaker.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Nah just wondering if sling, youtube, fubo, etc had fsnaz. From what I've gathered no. I may try the vpn method, is it easy to turn off and on? I only really want it for this specific application, otherwise I just want to be located in AZ internet wise.
Yeah, I pretty much only use it to stream games, and then it sits offline the rest of the time. I will say that with ESPN+ because I am not trying to use the exact same VPN server everytime, I don't remember exactly, but I feel like I was logging into the ESPN account each time I went to watch because it "doesn't remember" you as you're on a new connection each new game. That's a little bit of a hassle.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
So you subscribe to ESPN+, but they won't let you watch the games that are exclusively on ESPN+ live!?!? What the f***...

I was gonna go ESPN+ and VPN from Arizona, but that is a dealbreaker.
Yeah, they are delayed 48 hours or something. I think Coyotes had 6 or 7 last season.

I don't have a legal option from Australia. When it was just done by the NHL I subscribed and got zero blackout for any markets because Australia had no NHL deal. ESPN has rights to like a game of the week so now it's technically in-market and therefore the only legal means to watch in the country. It's a complete waste to pay for streaming to watch a single game each week where I have no choice in who the teams are. I doubt I'd get a single Coyotes game.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Kinda sucks, but for me, I never watch games more than 2 days old.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Kinda sucks, but for me, I never watch games more than 2 days old.

That is some kind of die hard to watch 30+ day old games.

It is hard to make sense of the packages and can't understand why one can't access all games that are branded as ESPN+ on ESPN+. However, as an "out of towner", I get two feeds of most games on ESPN+ through Hulu. I have been blacked out from watching Avs, Vegas and Sea as all 3 are allegedly in my region.

The sum of it all is, you have two organizations (Disney & the NHL) who have whatever the opposite of the Midas touch is, so to be legal, you have to accept whatever scraps they give you. The Hulu stuff is less expensive and there are fewer technical issues but, I preferred all the NHL stuff being under an app dedicated to the NHL in the NHL.tv days.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
That is some kind of die hard to watch 30+ day old games.

It is hard to make sense of the packages and can't understand why one can't access all games that are branded as ESPN+ on ESPN+. However, as an "out of towner", I get two feeds of most games on ESPN+ through Hulu. I have been blacked out from watching Avs, Vegas and Sea as all 3 are allegedly in my region.

The sum of it all is, you have two organizations (Disney & the NHL) who have whatever the opposite of the Midas touch is, so to be legal, you have to accept whatever scraps they give you. The Hulu stuff is less expensive and there are fewer technical issues but, I preferred all the NHL stuff being under an app dedicated to the NHL in the NHL.tv days.

You must live in Boise Idaho. I'm blacked out of Avs and Blues. I can watch them on ESPN+ after 48 hrs, which I only do if we crushed them 7-0.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad