OT: Can someone help me understand how to watch as an out-of-towner?

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I went to NHL.tv today to renew my subscription, and it basically says that the NHL will now be streaming on ESPN +. I have ESPN +, but when i go to the TV schedule via ESPN's website I only see a handful of games that will be available. So since the NHL is no longer offering an out of town package in NHL.TV, and I don't have DirecTV for NHL Center Ice (or Bally Sports for that matter) am I f***ed?

ESPN + Coyotes schedule: 2021-22 Arizona Coyotes Schedule | ESPN

I don't see a workaround unless I find illegal streams, which I don't want to do.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
ESPN+ continues its premier slate in 2022 with Tuesday and Thursday night matchups through the remainder of the 2021-22 regular season. Highlights include: Colorado Avalanche at Chicago Blackhawks on Tuesday, January 4, Pittsburgh Penguins at Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday, January 6, Washington Capitals at Boston Bruins on Thursday, January 20, Minnesota Wild at Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday, March 8, and the new-look Florida Panthers with Joe Thornton take on the San Jose Sharks on March 15 as Thornton returns to San Jose after spending 15 seasons as a Shark. In a Thursday night doubleheader on March 24, the St. Louis Blues host the Philadelphia Flyers, followed by the Chicago Blackhawks taking on the Los Angeles Kings at the STAPLES Center.
In April, ESPN+ will feature the following match ups: Pittsburgh Penguins at New York Rangers on Thursday, April 7, the Boston Bruins at St. Louis Blues on Tuesday, April 19, the Philadelphia Flyers at Chicago Blackhawks on Monday, April 25, as the only NHL game that day, and a Connor McDavid-Sidney Crosby showdown between the Edmonton Oilers and Pittsburgh Penguins on Tuesday, April 26. The final game of the ESPN+ schedule will feature the two-time defending Stanley Cup Champion Tampa Bay Lightning taking on the New York Islanders on Thursday, April 28, in a rematch of the 2021 Stanley Cup Semifinals.
Additionally, ESPN+ will stream more than 1,000 out-of-market games, all as part of an ESPN+ subscription.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
I'd also be interested to know how to watch all 82 Coyotes games on 1 singular platform. My issue in the past has always been the blackouts of home games through NHL.TV which is why I never bought a subscription.

I'm literally begging the NHL to take my money, it's a product that I will gladly give my monetary support if you let me watch the games I want to watch.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I think ESPN Plus will have all of the games. It'll basically be NHL TV.

For local fans, depending on the device you are watching, use a VPN/DNS and it'll bypass local blackouts. I use a DNS on my Apple TV 4K and didn't have a single issue last year. Now that ESPN + is going to have all of the NHL games you should be fine.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'd also be interested to know how to watch all 82 Coyotes games on 1 singular platform. My issue in the past has always been the blackouts of home games through NHL.TV which is why I never bought a subscription.

I'm literally begging the NHL to take my money, it's a product that I will gladly give my monetary support if you let me watch the games I want to watch.

Are you in or out of market? If in-market simply subscribe to satellite or cable that carries Bally sports, ESPN, and TNT. I think Directv streaming also has it.

If out of market subscribe to ESPN+, which gets you every game unless the Yotes are on ESPN or TNT, which I believe is only 3 games.

Here's a good article on viewing options.
How To Watch Every NHL Hockey Game This Season - Grounded Reason

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
ESPN+ should be optimal for Coyotes games being out of market.

They've just increased their annual subscription price. Better deliver the goods. They lost one of the soccer leagues I watch. Fumble NHL and I am gone. No longer producing enough 30 for 30 docs to make it a selling point.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Can’t use just get the NHL app and watch on smart TVs? That’s how watch them from Canada

I can't speak for Canada, but in the US that's a no. Out of market viewers need ESPN+.

Last edited:

samandbigboy

Feb 20, 2019
Anyone wants to split an ESPN+ account since it allows sharing? I will Venmo/PayPal you each month. Thanks.

Email samandbigboy at yahoo dot com if you do.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Since the conversation has gone into another thread let’s move this back here and bump this topic.

as of last night, I was able to use the ESPN app on my Apple TV to watch the game.

Can anyone confirm if there was a local blackout for this game? I got it using my DNS, but I’m not sure if it just let me watch or if there was a blackout

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Someone asked about replays. Anything shown on ESPN+ is available for replay. Even the 5 Oct Pre-season game can be watched again. Not sure if blackouts still apply.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I still have the NHL app on my Apple TV and Amazon stick. Can I still watch on that app and those platforms this season?

Really don't want to subscribe to another service. I say this because, somehow, the NHL screwed up my billing where instead of charging me the $199.99 annual rate they are charging me $1.99 a month. Would like to keep riding that gravy train.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I still have the NHL app on my Apple TV and Amazon stick. Can I still watch on that app and those platforms this season?

Really don't want to subscribe to another service. I say this because, somehow, the NHL screwed up my billing where instead of charging me the $199.99 annual rate they are charging me $1.99 a month. Would like to keep riding that gravy train.
Whatsa couple decimal points! :laugh:

Reactions: Mosby

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Can I still watch on that app and those platforms this season?

Not sure about Canada, but in the States the answer is no. You'll need ESPN+.

I just signed up for the Hulu/Disney/ESPN+ bundle. $13.99/mo. smoking good deal if you ask me.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Well shit, I just subscribed to espn+ figuring I’d get the coyotes game but it’ll get me for being in market and black em out. How do I get a VPN or DNS I have no clue what either of those are or how to acquire one haha

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Well shit, I just subscribed to espn+ figuring I’d get the coyotes game but it’ll get me for being in market and black em out. How do I get a VPN or DNS I have no clue what either of those are or how to acquire one haha

It's a bizarre situation when out of market fans can LEGALLY watch for less $$$ than in market.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
The Best VPN Services for 2021

I don't know much about DNS services, but I have a friend who uses NordVPN and another who has ExpressVPN and they both say it's pretty easy to get up and running. There's lots of options but really all you need is one that has a server outside of Arizona which will be literally all of them.

Reactions: SR

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
What if you can’t watch live? Does ESPN+ archive games. I doubt it. This sounds awful.

Yes they are archived, they have games from last year still in the system. I don't know how far back it'll actually go. I haven't found a way to filter for games from a specific team, but they store games on their system for quite some time.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
ESPN+ also carries a ton of NCAA hockey. Oct 22/23 they are showing both ASU v Colgate games.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

Which device are you using to watch your games? I use an Apple TV and Unlocator for my DNS. All I have to do is go into WiFi settings and change the DNS to their manual code and I’m all set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad