OT: Can someone help me understand how to watch as an out-of-towner?

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Which device are you using to watch your games? I use an Apple TV and Unlocator for my DNS. All I have to do is go into WiFi settings and change the DNS to their manual code and I’m all set.
It would be through a Samsung smart TV. I could get Apple TV, I guess. How much is the DNS service? Is it a monthly thing or a one time thing?

RollingCoyote

Aug 13, 2022
Need to bump this thread. I live in Alberta and I only watch Coyote games, no one else. NHL Gamecenter has been taken away from us and we now need to subscribe to SN Now Premium to get all the games. Problem with that is it sounds like the SN app is horrible so my question is this, can I just use a VPN and subscribe to ESPN+ to watch the Coyotes, is it that simple.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don’t yet have a way to watch. I’m in market and I require spoiler-free, on-demand recordings. And I need to watch on a television, not on a mobile device or computer.

I can get all that with DTV or Cox but I don’t want them. Is there anything else I can get? Can I run the Bally App on my Fire TV? Can I use YouTube TV? What’s out there for me?

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Yo_T_Fan

Aug 13, 2004
Peoria, AZ
I don’t yet have a way to watch. I’m in market and I require spoiler-free, on-demand recordings. And I need to watch on a television, not on a mobile device or computer.

I can get all that with DTV or Cox but I don’t want them. Is there anything else I can get? Can I run the Bally App on my Fire TV? Can I use YouTube TV? What’s out there for me?
Q: What platforms can I stream Bally Sports+?
Currently you have the option to watch Bally Sports+ content on Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, mobile and tablet devices (iOS, Android) and BallySports.com. We are working to add additional platforms and encourage you to check back frequently for updated information. Link

rt

May 13, 2004
Q: What platforms can I stream Bally Sports+?
Currently you have the option to watch Bally Sports+ content on Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, mobile and tablet devices (iOS, Android) and BallySports.com. We are working to add additional platforms and encourage you to check back frequently for updated information. Link
Thanks! Worth paying for a month to check it out. If it’s horrible, then I can keep looking.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Need to bump this thread. I live in Alberta and I only watch Coyote games, no one else. NHL Gamecenter has been taken away from us and we now need to subscribe to SN Now Premium to get all the games. Problem with that is it sounds like the SN app is horrible so my question is this, can I just use a VPN and subscribe to ESPN+ to watch the Coyotes, is it that simple.

Don't know about the VPN stuff but I am in the same boat being Canadian and needing to make the switch from Gamecentre to SN Now Premium. I checked out part of a Leafs/Sens game on SN Now Premium and it looked fine to me. Use promo code EARLYBIRD as well to get the price down from 249 to 179.

RollingCoyote

Aug 13, 2022
Don't know about the VPN stuff but I am in the same boat being Canadian and needing to make the switch from Gamecentre to SN Now Premium. I checked out part of a Leafs/Sens game on SN Now Premium and it looked fine to me. Use promo code EARLYBIRD as well to get the price down from 249 to 179.

Thanks for that promo code Mosby, that’s probably the way I will go. Do you know how long it’s valid?

Edit: tried that code (all caps, one word) and it said it isn’t valid.

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
If there’s a way to record and watch later without spoilers, I’ll cut the cord finally. Lol.
Don't do it, streaming still mostly sucks for sports unless you're out of market. Also YouTube TV's version of DVR is absolutely trash for sports unless you can absolutely guarantee the game is over (including overtime) and has been for at least an hour. Otherwise you risk it randomly jumping to the live stream and basically ruining everything. I hate it so much!

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Don't do it, streaming still mostly sucks for sports unless you're out of market. Also YouTube TV's version of DVR is absolutely trash for sports unless you can absolutely guarantee the game is over (including overtime) and has been for at least an hour. Otherwise you risk it randomly jumping to the live stream and basically ruining everything. I hate it so much!
Too late. I cancelled cable in April.

Reactions: 0point1

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
I had a vpn last year when I had string of international trips. It worked for streaming pandora, Disney+, etc. But, your location will appear as the location of the vpn server. Mine was LA, so all ads were LA based. That might affect what you can view due to local market broadcast rules.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I subscribe to ESPN+ and use NordVPN. You open the VPN and pick a city/area on the map to stream from, I use an East Coast city for majority of Coyotes' games and then change it when they go out East to San Francisco say. You can watch every single non-ESPN Coyotes' game this way, live or recorded. You can choose home or away broadcast.

For Coyotes' games on ESPN+, you can't watch them for like 48 hours. There were like 8 last year I think. You can set it all to spoiler free easily too. When those ESPN+ games showed up, I'd just avoid all hockey news for like 3 days until I caught up. I'd end up watching the game the next day right after the ESPN+ one came available.

That's the drawback. The other benefit is you can watch pretty much any team whenever you want unless it's the ESPN+ game. I can't remember how Canadian feeds went and I don't remember if I ever geolocated from Canada.

You might be able to find a country that has the perfect blend of zero NHL contract that would let you watch everything because the NHL has no hockey contract there. I am not yet re-subscribed so I can't look this up, but you might be able to get some NCAA games via it too.

As for watching it on TV, you can stream it to a device/TV via those means. I did find the quality wasn't as good so I tended to not cast it to the TV, but I live in Australia and we have DSL still... I did the streaming from the computer to the TV, but the VPN has an app. The issue is that you need to figure out how to put your phone onto a VPN, log into ESPN+ while VPN'd somewhere, and then you cast it. I didn't want to deal with it, but I think it's feasible if you really want to run an app through a VPN on your phone to cast it to the TV.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Just to confirm, no streaming services will carry fox sports AZ? I'd need bally's streaming subscription or cable/dish?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Pretty sure ESPN+ from out of market has the Fox Sports/Bally feed for at least Coyotes. Not sure if that's what you're getting at.
Nah just wondering if sling, youtube, fubo, etc had fsnaz. From what I've gathered no. I may try the vpn method, is it easy to turn off and on? I only really want it for this specific application, otherwise I just want to be located in AZ internet wise.

rt

May 13, 2004
Nah just wondering if sling, youtube, fubo, etc had fsnaz. From what I've gathered no. I may try the vpn method, is it easy to turn off and on? I only really want it for this specific application, otherwise I just want to be located in AZ internet wise.
There’s no such thing as FSN anymore. It’s called Bally now.

I’ll be purchasing the BallySports+ for the first 30 days of the season, at least. If it’s horrible, I’ll try more “creative” solutions.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

I’ll be purchasing the BallySports+ for the first 30 days of the season, at least. If it’s horrible, I’ll try more “creative” solutions.
If it weren't for the price tag and the fact that they aren't putting their stuff on other tv streaming services I'd try it out too. Just too many layers of bullshit for me to support.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

If you have a friend or family member who have cable, you could use their logins to their cable provider to use the Bally Sports app.

I’ve never had issues with that service honestly. It’s not amazing but there are much worse

rt

May 13, 2004
If you have a friend or family member who have cable, you could use their logins to their cable provider to use the Bally Sports app.

I’ve never had issues with that service honestly. It’s not amazing but there are much worse
I can’t watch regular season games live. I have to put the kids down for bed and then watch games later. And I need to be able to fast forward through commercials and in between play yammering. I’ve only got 90 minutes, or so, to to get the thing watched. Lol.

Honestly standard Cox/DTV with a DVR is really the perfect solution for me. Totally reliable and no spoilers. But I can’t justify paying for a whole year of service every year just to watch one channel, only during hockey season. It’s ridiculously expensive to pay for Cox perpetually just to watch coyotes games and literally nothing else ever. Haha

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

May 13, 2004
If it weren't for the price tag and the fact that they aren't putting their stuff on other tv streaming services I'd try it out too. Just too many layers of bullshit for me to support.
I think the price is actually really great. If the product were as good as what’s available on Cox or DirecTV, I’d go so far as to say Bally+ is an absolute steal. Huge bargain.

Buuuuuut I have a feeling the quality will be comparatively terrible. I’ll be forced to watch ads or it will buffer or be “unavailable” for no reason or I won’t be able to fast forward without it freezing, etc. Could be they stupidly display the final score right over the thumbnail or something mind numbingly frustrating like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad