TSN: Can Sens Improve On Last Season?

Ttracer*

I remember those here who chastised Cowen for putting it in on our net. I also recall FlyingF reaming on Cowen in another thread. Here is Jeff Petry doing exactly the same thing. Only it didn't bounce of his body, he essentially shot it in.

This game marked the end of me betting on hockey, after losing 11 straight games in ot, petry wrists it in his own net and Edmonton blows a 2 goal lead late. I would like to personally thank petry for getting me out, I might still be line shopping 2 hours a day and betting on the oil without him. God bless Jeff petry

Hockey wise we don't need him, d is strong

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This is my belief as well. All 3 of then should be at or near top 4 level guys next year.

If/when that happens, we move a lot closer to becoming contenders imo.

This team has spent a lot of picks on dmen, and its time for them to start paying off. We never move past being a bubble team with this core if they don't.
Same ,both need to step up or get lost .We really shouldnt be wasting any more time on these two if they cant their crap together:handclap:

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Cowen is better than Petry. Both he and Wiercioch are younger than Petry, and both will be better more stable defenders. Do you honestly believe the Oilers were as bad as they showed last season? That place has been a coaches graveyard because some of those kids got paid too quickly and got too big for their britches. They stopped playing the game of hockey. Petry played as putrid as his team last season and even managed a -3 upon arriving in Montreal.

Regardless of the amount of shots taken... quality chances were minimal for Montreal. It is kind of like the system MacLean had us playing, where we kept everything to the outside. Look at the playoff series vs Montreal. We got some chances, but the majority of the shots for the first few games came from the boards. Price barely had to work in games 1 to 3.

:biglaugh:

For the first 2 seasons under MacLean, while the Sens did give up a high rate of shots, they also were only outshot by 0.6 shots per game in 2011-12, where the team got off to a slow start, and then ended up outshooting opponents by 1.8 shots per game in 2012-13. Heck, the Sens led the league in shots per game that season, and even then, it's not like Anderson, Bishop, and Lehner weren't bailing the team out from some very high quality scoring chances regularly. That'll need to happen when, even if you get a large number of shots per game, your team is also giving up a high number, 31.3 to be exact.

Then the last 1 and a bit seasons MacLean was coach the team was outshot quite badly. And what happened? Getting outshot by a decent margin is pretty indicative that your team is not controlling the play, which given the skaters Montreal does have, that they were being outshot so often is really inexcusable.

As for quality scoring chances, yes, the majority of shots in a game aren't high quality. That's why there are people keeping track of scoring chances in games, of which the Sens had their fair share in the series with Montreal. Price was ultimately the reason we lost that series, combined with going with Hammond in games 1 and 2, which the team pretty much had to given how he played down the stretch to get them into the playoffs.

As for the Oilers, I think the team is as bad as they've shown the last SEVERAL seasons. Rag on the likes of Hall, RNH, and Eberle if you like, the bigger problem with that team is the lack of depth all over the roster. They have Pouliot who is a really good third liner and then... umm... Their depth on defence though has been what's really hurt them for a few seasons now, where Petry was likely their best 2-way defender. I like Petry, but that is just scary to think about. Schultz is a disaster in his own end (for those who complain Karlsson isn't that good in his own end, go watch Schultz) but he's also their best D with the puck, Ference at this stage in his career should not be playing nearly 19 minutes per game, and Nikita Nikitin being paid over$4MM a season? :help:

There's some hope for Edmonton's defence now with Klefbom and Nurse coming, but even then, they will take some time. Sekera? Overpayment, though he does add depth they sorely need there.

Also:

Cowen is better than Petry... heck, Wiercioch is better than Petry.

Way to move the goal posts claiming you said they WILL BE better than Petry. Heck, in the earlier quote I used, you also state that "Cowen IS better than Petry." Given the last 2 years of Cowen's play, that's quite a claim to make.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Sitting back is probably the best approach.

Our defense has me a little worried, but hopefully Wier or Cowen steps up as a top 4 guy(and Murray can trade the other).

sitting back in terms of making moves? i agree.

Or sitting back in terms of how we play in a game? I disagree.

Sorry, im a little confused.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Hey man, I like the optimism. The old pie in the sky "here we go boys were the best" type attitude that my pee wee coach used to use even when we were the worst team in the league.

Lets face it, Cowen hasn't proven anything close to what Petry has. Sure Cowen has potential but if he turns out as good as Petry it'll be a huge success. Perry is very underrated, id say hes close to Methot.

Defensively Petry is no where near Methot. Cowen will be better.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I like Roberts as much as the next guy but was complete garbage for the Penguins when he went there and he finished his career on waivers or something. He was done.

Paprika was spicy enough for us in the playoffs, he scored a big goal iirc and was quite decent the rest of the team. Our big problem was that Alfredsson was the only one with testicles on our top line, Spezza and Heatley called it a night in the finals and Emery, though massive boss, could never seal the deal.

The team was a failure, and should have been disassembled sooner than it was.

paprika= saprykin.

right?

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
:biglaugh:

For the first 2 seasons under MacLean, while the Sens did give up a high rate of shots, they also were only outshot by 0.6 shots per game in 2011-12, where the team got off to a slow start, and then ended up outshooting opponents by 1.8 shots per game in 2012-13. Heck, the Sens led the league in shots per game that season, and even then, it's not like Anderson, Bishop, and Lehner weren't bailing the team out from some very high quality scoring chances regularly. That'll need to happen when, even if you get a large number of shots per game, your team is also giving up a high number, 31.3 to be exact.

Then the last 1 and a bit seasons MacLean was coach the team was outshot quite badly. And what happened? Getting outshot by a decent margin is pretty indicative that your team is not controlling the play, which given the skaters Montreal does have, that they were being outshot so often is really inexcusable.

As for quality scoring chances, yes, the majority of shots in a game aren't high quality. That's why there are people keeping track of scoring chances in games, of which the Sens had their fair share in the series with Montreal. Price was ultimately the reason we lost that series, combined with going with Hammond in games 1 and 2, which the team pretty much had to given how he played down the stretch to get them into the playoffs.

As for the Oilers, I think the team is as bad as they've shown the last SEVERAL seasons. Rag on the likes of Hall, RNH, and Eberle if you like, the bigger problem with that team is the lack of depth all over the roster. They have Pouliot who is a really good third liner and then... umm... Their depth on defence though has been what's really hurt them for a few seasons now, where Petry was likely their best 2-way defender. I like Petry, but that is just scary to think about. Schultz is a disaster in his own end (for those who complain Karlsson isn't that good in his own end, go watch Schultz) but he's also their best D with the puck, Ference at this stage in his career should not be playing nearly 19 minutes per game, and Nikita Nikitin being paid over$4MM a season? :help:

There's some hope for Edmonton's defence now with Klefbom and Nurse coming, but even then, they will take some time. Sekera? Overpayment, though he does add depth they sorely need there.

Also:

Way to move the goal posts claiming you said they WILL BE better than Petry.

I believe Wiercioch is already better than Petry. Wiercioch is a more rounded out player, more defensively responsible. I will admit Cowen didn't show much last season. But his ceiling is higher than Petry. He will be more for this team than Petry is for Montreal. Even though he stank a bit last year... Ceci is already at Petry's level. Consider the age gap and you will realize our core is better than Montreals.

There is no comparison between Karlsson and Schultz. One need only look at how they came in to the league to know that.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I believe Wiercioch is already better than Petry. Wiercioch is a more rounded out player, more defensively responsible. I will admit Cowen didn't show much last season. But his ceiling is higher than Petry. He will be more for this team than Petry is for Montreal. Even though he stank a bit last year... Ceci is already at Petry's level. Consider the age gap and you will realize our core is better than Montreals.

There is no comparison between Karlsson and Schultz. One need only look at how they came in to the league to know that.

You are massively underrating Petry. Watch what he did to replace Subban when PK got booted from the game for hacking Stone. He became their #1 D. Obviously 1 game is not every game... But seriously you need to be all the Sens defenceman's players agents... Try to get them all $5 million per year. Lol

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
You are massively underrating Petry. Watch what he did to replace Subban when PK got booted from the game for hacking Stone. He became their #1 D. Obviously 1 game is not every game... But seriously you need to be all the Sens defenceman's players agents... Try to get them all $5 million per year. Lol

I'm a Wier backer, but Petry is a better player.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

Nah, I just believe that Petry is being overrated based on a partial season playing in Montreal in the third pairing. The only thing that concerns me with Cowen reaching his potential is injuries. I hope he will be better this season.

If one puts Petry on the first line night in and night out he will be exposed. Made to look worse than Markov on some nights. Someone said he is at Methot's level. I don't believe that at all. Defense wise, Petry is not great. He is a good skater and he can move and shoot the puck. So can M-A Bergeron.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I'm a Wier backer, but Petry is a better player.

Now yes... in the future I think Wier will be better. Look at how young our D core is. All of them aside from Methot and Karlsson are younger than Petry. If I am wrong about this I will take my verbal beating on here.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

You severely undervalue what Petry brings, or overvalue what Ceci and Wiercioch did last year.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
TSN but up a brilliant, short, 2 minute video discussing Ottawa's success last year and what we can expect of them this upcoming season and everything they said was bang on.

Basically said Ottawa building a team the old-school conventional way which is building a young team and letting them develop from within instead of bringing external pieces and how what was our top line of mac-turris-ryan could take a back seat to younger and rising talent in hoff-zib-stone.

Great video nonetheless, they also seem to agree Ottawa should do better and 2nd round + the target.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/can-the-sens-improve-on-last-season~662865

Its too bad so many of the posters on here are unable to recognize this....

Especially with so many good young players pushing for spots its going to bring the best out of everyone.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
he looked great to me when we got to see him play (a significant amount of games) with Montreal.

Yip. He looked way better than in EDM. Which I guess should not be a surprise. Props to WhiteLight who was always pimping him and suggested the Sens get him to play over Gryba.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
he looked great to me when we got to see him play (a significant amount of games) with Montreal.

Yeah, he's a good player no doubt that group of forwards they have is still brutal though. They are missing a legit first line centerman with size, if they somehow acquired Eric Staal without gutting the team then they would scare me.

How do you know that the 4th line sucks when we don't even know what it will be? I personally think that one of our strengths will be the ability to roll 4 lines.

Unless we go with Greening-Smith-Neil, in which case I will with you (can't believe we still have all 3 of those guys :facepalm:).

I'm also going to go out on a limb here and say that the Defence will be just fine.

Karlsson and Methot are good for almost half of the game. Weircoich and Ceci should be fine with the second pair duties, and now that Gryba is gone I feel much better about the potential of the 3rd pairing.

This teams strength will be its overall speed/depth up front and the ability to roll 4 lines.

With a nucleus up front of

Turris
Stone
Ryan
Zib
MacArthur
Hoff
Michalek
Pageau
Lazar

then

Smith, Chiasson, Puemple, Prince, O'Dell, and Neil fighting for 3 spots the internal competition is going to push everyone to be better day in day out.

Greening wont be on the team I think they made that obvious this past season, he will be buried in the minors ala Jim O'brien.

Othello*

I'll take Petry over Cowen any day of the week. That said I still hope Cowen can find his game this year.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I'll take Petry over Cowen any day of the week. That said I still hope Cowen can find his game this year.

Agreed. Not being as good as Petry is no insult. If Ceci, Wiercioch, Cowen are all 85-90% of Petry this year... We are in great shape. (I take Methot over Petry... But Methot is world's better then our potential 3-5 D-men. )

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Now yes... in the future I think Wier will be better. Look at how young our D core is. All of them aside from Methot and Karlsson are younger than Petry. If I am wrong about this I will take my verbal beating on here.

Karlsson is younger than pretry by 3 years.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Karlsson is younger than pretry by 3 years.

Karlsson is not to be discussed with Petry. Karlsson is discussed with Coffey, Leetch... Lidstrom... Doughty. Petry is a very solid 3 D. Karlsson is a (or going to be) a solid top 20, top 15 D that ever laced on skates. Maybe higher then 15 if he keeps getting better.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Karlsson is not to be discussed with Petry. Karlsson is discussed with Coffey, Leetch... Lidstrom... Doughty. Petry is a very solid 3 D. Karlsson is a (or going to be) a solid top 20, top 15 D that ever laced on skates. Maybe higher then 15 if he keeps getting better.

Don't disagree. But the post said everyone except for methot and karlsson are younger...but karlsson is also younger. That's all.

Top 20d? Quit being conservative. Top 5-10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad