TSN: Can Sens Improve On Last Season?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Don't disagree. But the post said everyone except for methot and karlsson are younger...but karlsson is also younger. That's all.

Top 20d? Quit being conservative. Top 5-10.

Top 5-10 means better the Coffey. Coffey is what Karlsson is destined to be. If he gets in the top 10... Which is possible... That would be astounding!!! We would win Cups!!! Only way Karlsson is top 10 is with Cups... And I would love that!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Top 5-10 means better the Coffey. Coffey is what Karlsson is destined to be. If he gets in the top 10... Which is possible... That would be astounding!!! We would win Cups!!! Only way Karlsson is top 10 is with Cups... And I would love that!

It's tough to know, because not many people lived throughout every generation. My buddies dad is huge hockey guy. I believe he's 55 years old. Has center ice, played junior hockey, runs competitive hockey camps, etc. This guy is a bruins fan.

I asked him where he thinks karlsson is, he said he thinks he's better, but very similar to coffey. What i remember of coffey is like mid 90s and on, so i'm not the best judge. But in terms of rushing defenseman, he thinks there is Orr, than after that its debateable and karlsson will be in the conversation. He didn't compare him to bigger guys like denis potvin as they played totally different styles.

I know you're thinking "so what, some guy can think anything he wants" but i really trust this guys knowledge.

I see karlsson as clearly the best skating,puckhandling defenseman since the 90s. He thinks he's more talented than leetch, niedermayer, housley,coffey, murphy, etc. I put stock in that.

So really, the only guys i don't think he'll pass are guys like:

Orr
Bourque
Potvin

After that you get the guys i named and guys like Robinson,chelios,macinnis, Stevens, etc. There is no reason karlsson doesn't belong with them when all is said and done.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-defensemen-all-time-points-leaders.html

When all is said and done, can you name 20 D on that list that are better talents than karlsson? I mean, i know this is scoring, and there is defense to consider, but when you have guys like chelios at 10,stevens at 12, gonchar at 16, duchesne at 20...karlsson is undoubtedly a better player than them.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's tough to know, because not many people lived throughout every generation. My buddies dad is huge hockey guy. I believe he's 55 years old. Has center ice, played junior hockey, runs competitive hockey camps, etc. This guy is a bruins fan.

I asked him where he thinks karlsson is, he said he thinks he's better, but very similar to coffey. What i remember of coffey is like mid 90s and on, so i'm not the best judge. But in terms of rushing defenseman, he thinks there is Orr, than after that its debateable and karlsson will be in the conversation. He didn't compare him to bigger guys like denis potvin as they played totally different styles.

I know you're thinking "so what, some guy can think anything he wants" but i really trust this guys knowledge.

I see karlsson as clearly the best skating,puckhandling defenseman since the 90s. He thinks he's more talented than leetch, niedermayer, housley,coffey, murphy, etc. I put stock in that.

Orr
Bourque
Potvin

After that you get the guys i named and guys like Robinson,chelios,macinnis, Stevens, etc. There is no reason karlsson doesn't belong with them when all is said and done.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-defensemen-all-time-points-leaders.html

When all is said and done, can you name 20 D on that list that are better talents than karlsson? I mean, i know this is scoring, and there is defense to consider, but when you have guys like chelios at 10,stevens at 12, gonchar at 16, duchesne at 20...karlsson is undoubtedly a better player than them.

Of the guys you mentioned I think he is most similar to Coffey. He is quicker than Coffey and Coffey was smoother and covered a lot of ice in a hurry.

Better than Coffey ? I would not say so. They are good to compare because of their similar styles.

I grew up wathing and idolizing Bobby Orr who was just magnificent (even though I was a habs fan). Best Player in the league. Karlsson does a lot of the same things for the Sens that Orr did for the Bruins.

Other guys like Robinson, Stevens, Potvin, Pronger, Blake, Chara and Chelios are completely different beasts and difficult to compare. I would take Potvin on my team any day. He could play offensively, wasn't as quick as Karlsson but he was a hell of a defenseman.

Neidermayer, Leetch, Bourque, Lidstrom, MacInnis, Murphy tough crowd to break into none of these guys was as good offensively as Coffey but ... thats not all there is to being a top defenseman.

Karlsson has a few more years to go if he stays healthy he will be right up there in pts

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If Ottawa becomes a serious contender for a span of like 4-6 years then I can see Karlsson leaving a legacy behind comparable to Lidstrom(about 5-7 Norris' in total+ and a cup or two). Which would easily crack him into top 10 and top 5 if he wins a Hart and Conn Smythe which shouldn't be out of the question.

He'll win more Norris' regardless if the team is good or excellent but he needs to be on an excellent/serious contending team for him to leave a serious legacy behind... which basically also applied to any other great defender in the past.

IMO that serious resume begins in 2 years. Next year is another Norris and maybe even Hart if Zibanejad, Hoffman and Ryan take another step forward.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
If Ottawa becomes a serious contender for a span of like 4-6 years then I can see Karlsson leaving a legacy behind comparable to Lidstrom(about 5-7 Norris' in total+ and a cup or two). Which would easily crack him into top 10 and top 5 if he wins a Hart and Conn Smythe which shouldn't be out of the question.

He'll win more Norris' regardless if the team is good or excellent but he needs to be on an excellent/serious contending team for him to leave a serious legacy behind... which basically also applied to any other great defender in the past.

IMO that serious resume begins in 2 years. Next year is another Norris and maybe even Hart if Zibanejad, Hoffman and Ryan take another step forward.

It's so funny how award voting works sometimes. EK has a chance of getting MVP... if the other players around him step it up. :loony:

All about success and being noticed, and you need others around you to make that happen.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It's so funny how award voting works sometimes. EK has a chance of getting MVP... if the other players around him step it up. :loony:

All about success and being noticed, and you need others around you to make that happen.

I think it's more that the team needs to be somewhat successful, and you need to be the overwhelming catalyst for said success.

Our forwards need to bury chances and have solid seasons, but people need to be able to look at the team's play and say "none of that would have happened without Karlsson".

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think it's more that the team needs to be somewhat successful, and you need to be the overwhelming catalyst for said success.

Our forwards need to bury chances and have solid seasons, but people need to be able to look at the team's play and say "none of that would have happened without Karlsson".

Yup.

We can't have Karlsson playing like a superstar and his forwards slumping or playing weak offensively. He'll just win the Norris in that case. If he plays like does second half last year for majority of next year and the Sens bury more of his chances and take a bit of pressure off him then he'll put up more points or have more inflated stats(such as +/-) and will win the Hart.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
More than likely it could come down to goaltending & injuries again. Will we get solid goaltending from Anderson & Hammond & will they be able to stay healthy? Will Ryan, Stone, Hoffman, Karlsson, Turris & the other guys Ottawa will depend on to carry the offence stay healthy all yr long? Hopefully they will & most will play to their potential & not have a down yr.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Puempel-Smith-Chiasson

Our best 4th line last year was:

Puempel-Legwand-Chiasson they were awesome, Smith should be better under cameron or at least same as Legwand was. Puempel and Chiasson should improve naturally.

If not then you got Paul, Robinson, Dzingel itching for a role.

Defense will improve no doubt, Methot full year and there is NOOO WAY we can be worse than Phillips, Wiercioch and Cowen of last year. Last 2 will improve or even break out and Ceci is posed for possible break out.

Awesome?

1.causing or inducing awe; inspiring an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, or fear:
an awesome sight.
2.exhibiting or marked by awe; showing reverence, admiration, or fear.
3.Slang. very impressive:

Puempel - Legwand - Chiasson were not "awesome" to me. Legwand was slow as hxxx! Chiasson was unimpressive. Puempel was passable as a rookie.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
They generated a lot of offense mostly cause of the new threat of Puempel's speed and shot, held the play in opposition zone and scored more than being scored against, that's awesome to me.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Orr
Bourque
Potvin

I agree with your buddies' dad, and I have seen all of those defensemen play over the years, but with one condition, namely that he stays healthy and is not targeted by other physical cheap-shot players. He needs to be protected similar to the way Semenko protected Gretzky. The Senators need a player like Semenko to ride shotgun for Karlsson. They do NOT have one at this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad