TSN: Can Sens Improve On Last Season?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
TSN but up a brilliant, short, 2 minute video discussing Ottawa's success last year and what we can expect of them this upcoming season and everything they said was bang on.

Basically said Ottawa building a team the old-school conventional way which is building a young team and letting them develop from within instead of bringing external pieces and how what was our top line of mac-turris-ryan could take a back seat to younger and rising talent in hoff-zib-stone.

Great video nonetheless, they also seem to agree Ottawa should do better and 2nd round + the target.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/can-the-sens-improve-on-last-season~662865

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I can't even watch the video because it is not available for viewing in my region.

Seriously TSN?

I am starting a protest against TSN for discriminating against us people who don't live in the required region.

Last edited:

Othello*

Absolutely. Cameron is already doing a good job by lowering the ice time of Phillips and Neil and allowing our young players to thrive. Puemple/Prince will replace Michalek next season and that should be an upgrade.

Even though Tourigny is working the offence maybe he can help Ceci,Cowen and Wiercioch improve their game like he did with Barrie and Johnson.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I can't even watch the video because it is not available for viewing in my region.

Seriously TSN?

I am starting a protest against TSN for discriminating against us people who don't live in the required region.

i can't watch it because tsn videos(only tsn videos) are incompatible with my flash version.
i stopped going to tsn.ca

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Link works for me. I am glad to see them get some recognition. Some poster asked a question about them not making moves in FA... this answers that well.

They are building from within. BMur and co are building a solid team.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Stay the course. Let the kids play and gain experience. Make the space to allow this any way possible (Greening, Neil, Phillips, Smith, even Michalek and Chiasson for picks)

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Try diff browser, bros.

IE will play the sound but no video. i had to disable the pepper flash in chrome otherwise nhl videos wouldn't play. but then tsn videos would work (but no nhl.com and some other sites), so i chose senstv
it was working everywhere at one point. not sure if i did something wrong. probably. anyway, it may be just me, but there is definitely something going on that makes it difficult to get all videos from different sites playing properly in all browsers.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Teams don't always improve in linear fashion.

That being said, a good year for the health of Methot and Karlsson could help us get into the playoffs with fewer dramatic streaks required.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I agree that the Sens are a very likeable team.

I don't know how other fans cope with the *******s they're forced to cheer for.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Stay the course. Let the kids play and gain experience. Make the space to allow this any way possible (Greening, Neil, Phillips, Smith, even Michalek and Chiasson for picks)

I agree for the most part & I think that is exactly what they are doing. This yr they will likely allow Phillips to retire with dignity & if Neil still wants to play BM will do his best to move him at the deadline to where he wants to go, likely Nashville to play with his buddy Fisher.

Greening will likely be in & out of the lineup, waived & potentially called back up with the hope that some NHL team takes him off waivers. If not, maybe during next summer they decide that is the time to buy him out when it is a little cheaper. I do think BM will also pull off a trade next season at some point which could involve a couple of these guys in Smith, Chiasson & Cowen to relief some roster pressure but also to improve where required.

I also think next season that a few new comers should get some NHL action in Wideman, Puempel, Robinson, Claesson, Prince, Paul & maybe Lindberg or even Dzuirzynski again. Should be another exciting season in the nation's capital. The REDBLACKS game last night was pretty good with lots of action back & forth & an overtime victory on a beautiful summer evening for football.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I agree for the most part & I think that is exactly what they are doing. This yr they will likely allow Phillips to retire with dignity & if Neil still wants to play BM will do his best to move him at the deadline to where he wants to go, likely Nashville to play with his buddy Fisher.

Greening will likely be in & out of the lineup, waived & potentially called back up with the hope that some NHL team takes him off waivers. If not, maybe during next summer they decide that is the time to buy him out when it is a little cheaper. I do think BM will also pull off a trade next season at some point which could involve a couple of these guys in Smith, Chiasson & Cowen to relief some roster pressure but also to improve where required.

I also think next season that a few new comers should get some NHL action in Wideman, Puempel, Robinson, Claesson, Prince, Paul & maybe Lindberg or even Dzuirzynski again. Should be another exciting season in the nation's capital. The REDBLACKS game last night was pretty good with lots of action back & forth & an overtime victory on a beautiful summer evening for football.

Agreed, except I think guys like McCormick and Drzingle need looks before Robinson and Dzuizynski. If they both have solid camps they really should be next in line behind Puemple and Prince. Paul will be a wild card, if he blows the socks off at camp he could get the Lazar treatment, but realistically he should play the whole year in Bingo, with maybe a look see if we run into deeper injury issues.

I say this not because he isn't good, but because he can learn a ton and develop nicely against men, with Lindberg as well mind you, without the distraction. Next yer when we have a spot or two up for grabs again, they'll be next in line to challenge. Unless of course he clearly dominates at camp and preseason.

We need to see what we have in our older guys before turning to the younger guys, this is just solid management. There is no reason to rush Paul or Lindberg, and every reason to see what we have with our older college kids. McCormick could be an excellent fourth line energy guy who can agitate and chip in some points, and we need to see what Drzingle can do...

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Sitting back is probably the best approach.

Our defense has me a little worried, but hopefully Wier or Cowen steps up as a top 4 guy(and Murray can trade the other).

Ttracer*

Last year was borderline disaster until we went 20-2-2

Thanks for the credit tsn, our division isn't that tough of course sens will improve

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Points wise in the regular season?

Playoff depth?

Better sound two-way play?

Better defensively?

More goals?

------------------------

More points is going to be a challenge but 100 should be attainable
Playoff Depth ... another round is easy enough to see... should have had one this yr
Better sound two-way play? Overall.. yeah I think so.
Better defensively ... YES
More goals --- YES

BigBush*

Should be around the same. Still another 2-3 years until we see this team at its peak

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
4th line still sucks. Defence still leaves a lot to be desired.

How do you know that the 4th line sucks when we don't even know what it will be? I personally think that one of our strengths will be the ability to roll 4 lines.

Unless we go with Greening-Smith-Neil, in which case I will with you (can't believe we still have all 3 of those guys :facepalm:).

I'm also going to go out on a limb here and say that the Defence will be just fine.

Karlsson and Methot are good for almost half of the game. Weircoich and Ceci should be fine with the second pair duties, and now that Gryba is gone I feel much better about the potential of the 3rd pairing.

BigBush*

our defense for next year looks to be just ok. Weir and Ceci are an average 2nd pairing but good teams have really good 2nd pairings. at least they are young and have room to grow.

im a little nervous with our 3rd pairing. Cowen has yet to show he can keep up with the speed at the NHL level and Ottawa plays a high tempo game. Cowen's passing and bobbling the puck is the worst out of all of our defense.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
4th line still sucks. Defence still leaves a lot to be desired.

Puempel-Smith-Chiasson

Our best 4th line last year was:

Puempel-Legwand-Chiasson they were awesome, Smith should be better under cameron or at least same as Legwand was. Puempel and Chiasson should improve naturally.

If not then you got Paul, Robinson, Dzingel itching for a role.

Defense will improve no doubt, Methot full year and there is NOOO WAY we can be worse than Phillips, Wiercioch and Cowen of last year. Last 2 will improve or even break out and Ceci is posed for possible break out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad