Can Rathbone follow Fox?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm with you on this one.....Green loves his veterans. But Benn is a UFA at the end of this season, and there's no scenario in which the Canucks re-sign him.

So unless Juolevi and Rathbone really start to struggle, I'd rather seem them in the lineup learning the NHL ropes of the fly. They'll be much better players by the end of the season for going through an entire NHL season.
Hughes, schmidt, Edler, Myers are your top 4. Haminic is the veteran on pair 3. Benn is your spare D. That’s how the Canucks would run in normal circumstances.

until the A is running then I see Rathbone still with the club. But he needs to play. So if he’s not playing in the nhl them he needs to be sent down to the ahl.

taxi squad is for guys who can handle not playing for 2-3 week stretches. At this point of his career that is likely to be Sautner as the top fill in. And likely one of Chatfield or Brisebois if they want to carry 2 guys. Think Biega types as the 8Dman.
I think Juolevi makes the club so depending on early season performance and injuries see how things pan out.

for both Rathbone and juolevi to be in the lineup together would mean they get paired with a veteran like edler/ schmidt or Myers if Hamonic can’t go right off the bat. So one of the kids has t shift to the right side.

not sure Green wants to do that. So I expect him to run with Benn.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Rathbone will likely be showcased and traded at some point.
Benning loves to trade guys who he drafted later on who have shown more success than expected, for some reason (Forsling, Madden, even Michael Carone come to mind) in acquiring an asset that he considers either more useful right now, or with a higher floor.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Forsling started off in the NHL but then was moved down to the A after that. Disappointed that he hasn’t cracked an nhl lineup and has already passed through waivers last season.

madden will be interesting. He’s kind of a tweener imo. Not a 2C imo but don’t know how he good he is defensively to compensate for then offense. He’s not his dad so I don’t know what he’ll end up being. LA is setup nicely at C with Turcotte and Byfield. So long term don’t see MAdden in the top 2 lines as a C.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rathbone will likely be showcased and traded at some point.
Benning loves to trade guys who he drafted later on who have shown more success than expected, for some reason (Forsling, Madden, even Michael Carone come to mind) in acquiring an asset that he considers either more useful right now, or with a higher floor.
Rumor was the Kings wanted Rathbone instead of Madden in the Tofoli deal, but Benning rejected it out of hand. Rathbone isn't going anywhere. With his shot and offensive awareness, he'll anchor whatever pairing he's on in the future. Once you unearth a gem like Rathbone as a gift in later rounds, trading him would border on criminal.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Rumor was the Kings wanted Rathbone instead of Madden in the Tofoli deal, but Benning rejected it out of hand. Rathbone isn't going anywhere. With his shot and offensive awareness, he'll anchor whatever pairing he's on in the future. Once you unearth a gem like Rathbone as a gift in later rounds, trading him would border on criminal.

Trading Madden and a second for a rental was also bordering on criminal.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
I think very highly of Boner, but I think he needs more time. Especially considering the role he'll be asked to play.

SomeSortOfHockey

Oct 9, 2013
With talk about trades I think lots will matter on Edler and what he decides to do after this season. Also Juolevi and Hughs performance will mater. As it stands there is not a lot of room on the left side without injuries but next year that could change. If it doesn't (ie Edler stays) and both Rathbone and Juolevi show they are good and ready NHL players then someone will have to go as there are only 3 full time LD spots and unless someone plays bellow potential they wont be used as a spare next year.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
madden will be interesting. He’s kind of a tweener imo. Not a 2C imo but don’t know how he good he is defensively to compensate for then offense. He’s not his dad so I don’t know what he’ll end up being.

His dad wasn't a defensive player at the same point in his career either. He was a pure offensive player in his university and early AHL days that was having difficulty making the NHL. If I remember the story correctly, it was John Cunniff, his AHL coach that talked him into converting into a defensive player to have a better shot at making the NHL, since the Devils were in need of a checking center. It wasn't until he was in his mid-late twenties that John Madden changed his game to be an elite checker and subsequently make the NHL, so Tyler still has a ton of time to catch up to his father in that regard.

Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Juolevi played six minutes in tonight's game....and looked poor in almost every one of them. Whether or not Rathbone is ready is immaterial. If he can't bring more to the table than Juolevi right now, then he should be in the ECHL.

I really wish the Canucks would bring in a youth movement....give them some playing time, if they endure a rocky season, so what? At least there's a chance they'll get better as the season evolves.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Juolevi played six minutes in tonight's game....and looked poor in almost every one of them. Whether or not Rathbone is ready is immaterial. If he can't bring more to the table than Juolevi right now, then he should be in the ECHL.

I really wish the Canucks would bring in a youth movement....give them some playing time, if they endure a rocky season, so what? At least there's a chance they'll get better as the season evolves.
Problem is we dont really have a youth movement as weve dumped too many prospects and picks over the years during our FAKE rebuild. Rathbone is about all we have and really should be in the lineup

I mean cant hurt at this point

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Yep. I am still advocating for a rotation of some sort, at least between Rathbone and Juolevi, and preferably more. Bruins seem to be doing it with Studnicka and Bjork and whoever..... why can't we? The lack of a youth movement mindset depresses me more than the losses themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad