Can PIT steal the 'Team of the Decade' title from Chicago with a 3rd Cup?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Pens look like the favourites for next year as well so they could.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Pens and Hawks will both be modern day dynasty should pens repeat. There is no reason it is an either or. Both will have won the same amount of cups since cap era began.

vshun

Sep 21, 2016
Pens and Hawks will both be modern day dynasty should pens repeat. There is no reason it is an either or. Both will have won the same amount of cups since cap era began.
As long time Blackhawks fun, I disagree they are a dynasty, no more than Refwings of decade ago. Penguins might get there if they win next year and maybe another one in the next couple of years, before Corssby/Malkin decline.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
If the Penguins win they'll have done in a 10 year period (07-08 - 16-17)

3 cups
4 finals appearances
5 conference appearances
3 Art Ross winners
3 Hart Trophy winners

Truly the best team since the late 90s Wings.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
As long time Blackhawks fun, I disagree they are a dynasty, no more than Refwings of decade ago. Penguins might get there if they win next year and maybe another one in the next couple of years, before Corssby/Malkin decline.

Wait. What?

So the hawks win 3 cups in 6 years and they are a dynasty.

But the pens gotta win 4 cups (last year, this year - premise of the thread - which would be a back to back, next year - which would be 3peat, and another one in a couple of years) .. to be called a dynasty?

Dude. Please. Share the herb cause that's some high quality stuff you're smoking.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Today I learnt I was born in the 70s.

1980 to be precise.

the title of the thread doesnt say "Team of the 2010's" it says team of the decade. Therefore, use a proper decade.

Your logic is flawed and this is really stupid.

One87

Jan 4, 2013
Team of the decade is 2010-2020

You can't say past 10 years and say team of the decade that's just silly.

But they would be the team of the last 10 years cause of back to back. Hawks are still the 2010s team though

Actually there are several definitions.

In a historical sense a decade begins with the year ending in 0 and the close of the time frame coming in theyear ending with 9. For example: 2000-2009

Another definition is ANY given period of time of ten years. So it actually is not silly. It is quite legit to start at a team's first cup year and go from there.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Wait. What?

So the hawks win 3 cups in 6 years and they are a dynasty.

But the pens gotta win 4 cups (last year, this year - premise of the thread - which would be a back to back, next year - which would be 3peat, and another one in a couple of years) .. to be called a dynasty?

Dude. Please. Share the herb cause that's some high quality stuff you're smoking.

He said the Hawks weren't a dynasty either.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Actually there are several definitions.

In a historical sense a decade begins with the year ending in 0 and the close of the time frame coming in theyear ending with 9. For example: 2000-2009

Another definition is ANY given period of time of ten years. So it actually is not silly. It is quite legit to start at a team's first cup year and go from there.

Uh no. Just look at any publication, newspaper, magazine, etc.

Teams of the decade start and end with 0-9. Period. There's no debate or semantics involved here.

I said it before...change the thread title to Team of the last ten years if you want to change the rules or definition.

The OP just needs to admit that he phrased it improperly IF that's what you want the criteria to be.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
The only ones that seem to really care who is and isn't a dynasty are non-CHI/Pitt/LA fans. Kind of comical.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Looks like people still aren't sure how the decades work. See, though the millennium didn't really begin in 2000, the new decade did begin. The 90s are 1990-1999. The decade after that, which I call "the O's" is 2000-2009. The current decade began in 2010. With that in mind, Chicago has 3 Cups in that span, LA has 2, Pittsburgh has one, probably soon to be 2, and Boston has one.

And if you still don't believe me, here you go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000s_(decade)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010s

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
This thread must be killing ToewsEra.

I'd say it absolutely would put them ahead and it can't even really be up for discussion.

They'd have an extra Finals appearance, less seasons missing the playoffs, and just all around better team.

I'm pretty sure he's screaming hysterically into a pillow as we speak

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I guess we're in the twenty-tens now. The team of this decade is still the Hawks, unless the Penguins can win two more cups.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hockey has been defined more around eras than decades... an era can be a decade or decades like with the 60-70 Canadians... it can be a half decade, or it can be a weird cut based around rules or playstyle...ala the "dead puck Era"...

I dont know who gets the team of the decade moniker, but if the Pens were to win they would be the most prolific team of the post lockout era and have probably the two most impactful players during that time.

I think history looks back on the time between cups and it reflects poorly on the coaching and injuries to the superstars moreso then their core players... With another Cup win, The Pens will ultimately be the general choice and the Hawks the nonconformist pick...

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
if the pens win this 5th cup they are the best team since 1990

most cups
most hart trophy winners
most art ross winners

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
if the pens win this 5th cup they are the best team since 1990

most cups
most hart trophy winners
most art ross winners

Wait a minute, all I hear on HFboards day in and day out is that team achievements shouldn't be considered in measuring individual player performance.

But individual player achievements are fair game for measuring team performance? :laugh:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Who is the team of the oughts or 90s? I don't really know that one. Red Wings? Devils? Penguins for the 90s?

Mike Lange Version 2

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
The only ones that seem to really care who is and isn't a dynasty are non-CHI/Pitt/LA fans. Kind of comical.

Right?

I don't really care. Both teams (and LA to a similar extent) have proven their worth with a lot of great playoff hockey and success to show for it.

If we win and get to 3 cups, so be it. There can be some debate. I think Hawks would be team of the decade, pens would be best salary cap era team, just my 2 cents though :)

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
They don't need to - Pitt is already the best team of the 2010's in my opinion. Another cup would cement that barring Chi/LA winning another cup between now and 2020, which I don't see happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad