Can Lucic bounce back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
What's better though? Lucic buyout, or giving up a 1st rounder and possibly more for an extra 1.5M or so of cap savings in 2 of the next 4 years? Retaining ~2M of cap hit is less savings for next year, similar savings for year 3, but definitely better for years 2 and 4.

Did we find out which teams he was open to moving to last summer, if any? Probably LA and Boston and that was the end of the list. If there were any real options, I think Chia would have done it last summer. Lucic has to do what is best for his family, and I think he would want the perfect landing spot, or the nice chunk of cash from us and he can try to create another bidding war among clueless GM's.

Keeping him seems like a bad idea too. He's gonna take up a roster spot, and probably continue to decline. The pride is strong, and I don't think he would ever let us put him in the AHL or make him pretend he's injured so he can go on LTIR like Lupul or Clarkson. THere will be a point where you would rather have a near league minimum cap hit young guy in his place (might be getting there already this year). He's probably going to turn into a drag in the room as well if we keep burying him in the lineup. Just a crap situation, and I think most players are happy to let the team be the first one to crack and make the big move. We gave him the contract with a NMC, if we don't want to honour it, then it's mostly on the team to use the options the CBA provides to remove it.

I think hanging onto him for now is better than paying a heavy price to move him.

Then you have to hope to dump him onto a non cap team that will see him being owed 16 million over 4 years in real dollars as making him slightly more attractive.

Still not easy to move.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm done defending this guy. I don't know if he has neurological issues from all of the hits and fights over the years that affect his motor skills but something isn't right and he didn't seem to think that he needed to put extra work into his stick skills so what you see is what you get. @Fourier what would the cap implications and his personal salary implications be if he retired? If he does have brain trauma he really should consider hanging them up for his and his families sake.

If he simply retires the cap goes away and he gets no money. This is not likely to happen. If he was declared to have a career ending injury the Oilers could use LTIR to replace his cap hit and he gets his money. This is also unlikely.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Probably the laziest player in his own end that the Oilers have on their roster.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Scratch that. @mouser made a good point in the rumour thread that Lucic's NMC will make it even harder to trade him because he'd have to be protected in the 2021 Expansion Draft.

It's fairly easy for any team to buy out the last year of his deal. Especially if the Oilers retain salary. That said, I think he'd be willing to waive for Seattle, he is from the Vancouver area which is just up the street. I don't think he will be playing in the NHL in four years in all honesty to boot, I think his back condition is already kicking in.

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
You can't waive your NMC for the expansion draft. Teams must protect the NMC player.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm done defending this guy. I don't know if he has neurological issues from all of the hits and fights over the years that affect his motor skills but something isn't right and he didn't seem to think that he needed to put extra work into his stick skills so what you see is what you get. @Fourier what would the cap implications and his personal salary implications be if he retired? If he does have brain trauma he really should consider hanging them up for his and his families sake.
Where is this even coming from? Why even start spreading shit like that on here?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
You can't waive your NMC for the expansion draft. Teams must protect the NMC player.
Lucic can waive it and be exposed to Seattle. But I doubt he would be willing to waive for a trade elsewhere before then, and then again in 2.5 years for the draft. The Oilers are most likely stuck with him until 2021 at the earliest, unless they buy him out.

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
Lucic can waive it and be exposed to Seattle. But I doubt he would be willing to waive for a trade elsewhere before then, and then again in 2.5 years for the draft. The Oilers are most likely stuck with him until 2021 at the earliest, unless they buy him out.

You are right. Here is the quote from nhl.com:

"* All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits."

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Edit: nvm. Did some searching back about the Vegas expansion. Teams had their shot to buy out in the days before the draft. The example I kept thinking of, Bieksa, wasn't bought out because he was a 35+ contract and it would have been too much of a penalty for the Ducks.

So, Lucic buyout can happen in 2021 right before. But, gotta pray he doesn't get hurt :)

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Dead cat bounce from 10 storey window..

s-l300.jpg

space321

May 11, 2011
If Lucic can lay a dirty hit on Tkachuk, get himself suspended for 20 games, that would be a win-win scenario. I can dream right?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
have a feeling the league mat opt out of the cba over this issue in a year. they may want players not protected by teams with nmc to be allowed to be drafted in the expansion draft by seattle.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
have a feeling the league mat opt out of the cba over this issue in a year. they may want players not protected by teams with nmc to be allowed to be drafted in the expansion draft by seattle.

Already explained above. A player can waive his NMC, that's not an issue. Lucic would likely waive for Seattle anyway, he is from the Pacific Northwest, it's a very nice city, there's not much to dislike. They Lucics have a summer home in LA which is a 2 hour flight from there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Thank gawd Todd sent Bouchard down, if Chiarelli had his way we could have been f***ed for that 2021 Seattle expansion draft because we'd likely be forced to go 4 forwards + 4 D.

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
The cap hit for a buyout is so high that the team is better off just hanging on to him, despite his decline in production. People like to harp on the point that he doesn't fight anymore. There are only 21 players with 2 or more fights in the league, and the league leader has 4. Guys aren't fighting, and the ones who do aren't dumb enough to fight Looch. Would you want that gorilla on skates angrily bashing his lunchbox fists on your head?

It may be that the game has passed him by. We're stuck with him and his flaws regardless, and complaining about what he is or isn't doing doesn't change anything. He's not getting traded. He's not being bought out. He's not going to the minors. He's not going to the press box. It sucks, but it is what it is. All you can do is hope he keeps working hard and bounces start going his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad