Can Lucic bounce back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
"34 points was just really unlucky, no way he can get any worse"

If Lucic is great at one thing, its defying the odds. Guy will struggle to hit 20 points this year

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hard to believe he scored 30 goals once.

23 goals just two seasons ago. The decline has been steep and swift.

I was ok with the signing at the time because I thought the Oilers could get 3-4 solid seasons out of him even though the back half of the contract would certainly be painful. Well, they got 1. Ouch

This and the Reinhart trade is what will seal Chia's fate. Not the Hall and Eberle trades, those were small potatoes on the f*** up scale in comparison.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Lucic is the exact reason NHL teams need to have an analytics guy stapled to the GM at all times. Lucic had declining metrics in Boston and in LA in the 2 years prior. The only reason he still had some value was because he was stapled to Marchand in Boston and to Kopitar in LA. Both times he dragged their production down by quite a lot. Then in Edmonton he got stapled to McDavid because of this foolish notion he was going to be McDavids protector and his own Semenko (LOL).

Lucics failures were completely predictable. The only reason he had value in the past years was because GMs thought he was this dynamo powerforward like he was in 2014

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Lucic is the exact reason NHL teams need to have an analytics guy stapled to the GM at all times. Lucic had declining metrics in Boston and in LA in the 2 years prior. The only reason he still had some value was because he was stapled to Marchand in Boston and to Kopitar in LA. Both times he dragged their production down by quite a lot. Then in Edmonton he got stapled to McDavid because of this foolish notion he was going to be McDavids protector and his own Semenko (LOL).

Lucics failures were completely predictable. The only reason he had value in the past years was because GMs thought he was this dynamo powerforward like he was in 2014

this, and how many times have we seen successful complementary players that were purely products of their environment? How many times have we breathed a sigh of relief for getting outbid on free agents that went elsewhere and stunk it up? It seems to happen more often than not. I won't bother naming names because you guys already know them.

This is why big game hunting should be reserved for teams on the cusp. It's also why I don't mind these waiver pickups and PTO's.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

I was ok with the signing at the time because I thought the Oilers could get 3-4 solid seasons out of him even though the back half of the contract would certainly be painful. Well, they got 1. Ouch

This and the Reinhart trade is what will seal Chia's fate. Not the Hall and Eberle trades, those were small potatoes on the **** up scale in comparison.
yup

Chiarelli banked that both Lucic and newly drafted Puljujarvi would offset the loss in production of Hall

and in year 1 it worked...by having Lucic score 23 goals and Maroon score 27

now Lucic is barely an NHLer, Maroon is long gone...and Puljujarvi is struggling to produce

mullet

Aug 2, 2005
I think you hold back 3M toss in an asset and try to move on vs buyout. Someone will take toughness for 2-3M.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Evan Polei would likely contribute as much as Lucic except that he isn't as good of a fighter.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
$3 million retention is stupid, do 5 minutes of research on Capfriendly guys.

His remaining salary after July 1 2019 (when his bonus is paid out) is

3 mill
4 mill
5 mill
4 mill

Reducing that by 3 mill would make him like a $1 mill/season player

1 mill
2 mill
1 mill

That's just stupid.

You can retain even $1.5 mill on him come July 1 of next year and get rid of him that way.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
No I have never gone on the twitter Little Fury.

tenor.gif

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
I'm glad some of you are optimistic. But...

Big, slow players on the wrong side of 30 usually don't upend the obvious decline in their game. He's certainly not scoring 20. Can McDavid shoot a few off his groin and in on the PP? Maybe. That's all I can really hope for.
Somehow I got a lot of resistance when I posted this in August.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW

3 mill
4 mill
5 mill
4 mill

1 mill
2 mill
1 mill

That's just stupid.

You can retain even $1.5 mill on him come July 1 of next year and get rid of him that way.
How does the retention effect the cap number then? That is what we are worried about, obviously

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Have you seen him skate lately? Not much to be proud of.
His skating isn't so bad I don't know why people say this. It's his aim that is off. Can't aim a pass or shot. Maybe the dude needs glasses. Or can't process quickly so relies on instinct which isn't enough to get it right. He seems decent at puck possession but seems to give it away not have it taken.

DelusionOIL

Jul 10, 2008
Morinville
www.ibew424.net
I feel bad for Lucic. I think he worked his ass off in the summer, and did everything he could to turn his game around. I remember watching his pre-season interviews, he seemed broken, he was continually trying to be positive and mentioning all the things he had been working on, but the reporters just kept hammering him on his performance last season. I saw his body language as a player who had essentially been emotionally broken.

I honestly thought despite the changes in the game that he would adapt and overcome, never to his past performance, but at-least a progression to a reasonable player that could assist the team in certain area's.

After watching those interviews I changed my mind. I think Lucic is done as an effective hockey player, at least for the Edmonton Oilers. I think he is deeply ashamed of his play, and has mentally dug a hole that he is drowning in. I do think he asked to be moved, not because he doesnt like being in Edmonton, but because he legitimately feels he is a burden on the team, and most likely a detriment to his friend and loyal GM's career. These things add up mentally, and he is a human being. I hope the Oilers can make a move, at a reasonable price, to move him somewhere for a more healthy environment.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

This and the Reinhart trade is what will seal Chia's fate. Not the Hall and Eberle trades, those were small potatoes on the **** up scale in comparison.

Reinhart deal was beyond idiotic. A 1st and 2nd for a guy that could barely make the Isles AHL team. He doesn't have NHL speed. Then to make it more funny, Vegas claims him, puts him on waivers down the road and Chiarelli didn't even budge. Not that I wanted him of waivers but it had to make Chiarelli look like a fool around the NHL. Barzal, Chabot, and Connor were all there for the taking

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I feel bad for Lucic. I think he worked his ass off in the summer, and did everything he could to turn his game around. I remember watching his pre-season interviews, he seemed broken, he was continually trying to be positive and mentioning all the things he had been working on, but the reporters just kept hammering him on his performance last season. I saw his body language as a player who had essentially been emotionally broken.

I honestly thought despite the changes in the game that he would adapt and overcome, never to his past performance, but at-least a progression to a reasonable player that could assist the team in certain area's.

After watching those interviews I changed my mind. I think Lucic is done as an effective hockey player, at least for the Edmonton Oilers. I think he is deeply ashamed of his play, and has mentally dug a hole that he is drowning in. I do think he asked to be moved, not because he doesnt like being in Edmonton, but because he legitimately feels he is a burden on the team, and most likely a detriment to his friend and loyal GM's career. These things add up mentally, and he is a human being. I hope the Oilers can make a move, at a reasonable price, to move him somewhere for a more healthy environment.

I agree with ya. He is actually skating hard but goals and points are just not happening and they wont. He says the right things when interviewed. I take 6 mil if someone offers it to me. People shouldn't hate Lucic, direct the hate at Chiarelli and Katz. Chiarelli set Boston back big time and Katz hires him and also gives up a 2nd to get him ffs. WOW

Its unbelievable the mistakes upstairs has made.

space321

May 11, 2011
I agree with ya. He is actually skating hard but goals and points are just not happening and they wont. He says the right things when interviewed. I take 6 mil if someone offers it to me. People shouldn't hate Lucic, direct the hate at Chiarelli and Katz. Chiarelli set Boston back big time and Katz hires him and also gives up a 2nd to get him ffs. WOW

Its unbelievable the mistakes upstairs has made.

I'll stop hating Lucic when people stop picking on Draisaitl for every single unsuccessful pass.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

3 mill
4 mill
5 mill
4 mill

1 mill
2 mill
1 mill

That's just stupid.

Stupid in the sense that even at $1M per season Lucic shouldn't be in the NHL?

In seriousness though, I believe retention works as a percentage.

The Oilers would retain 50%, not $3M. That 50% would apply to both the actual salary paid to him and his cap hit.

So if we retained 50% the other team would get a flat $3M cap hit, but he salary would fluctuate year by year so that it is 50% of what he is owed each year.

That's my understanding at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad