Can Lucic bounce back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Look at the zone starts though. ~33% with the 2nd line. For whatever reason overall McLellan has been burying Drai's line in their own zone for starts. McDavid is getting way more offensive starts than last year. McLellan is all in that McDavid is the only hope it seems, hehe.

Bad D and bad forward help has definitely killed a lot of shifts for the 2nd line this year.

Where are you getting that number? Natural stat trick shows Lucic starting 44% of his shifts in the Ozone. I'd be curious to know how many of those are d-zone draws after icings.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I don't think 4 games in is enough data to make any determination on much of anything, when I look at it. 52 mins is an extremely small sample size.

We can agree to disagree for now, as I believe there is more to the story. I am pleased with his start.

It's not about making a determination about what the future holds, it's assessing what's already happened. And if there's an improvement in Lucic's game to be found, it has yet to actually manifest itself in results.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Don't bother people.

Someone didn't get their coffee this morning and is looking for a fight.

End of story.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
The Coyotes have been a bottom 5 team in the league analytically the past couple of seasons and gave guys like Zac Rinaldo career highs in ice time, they aren't as advanced stats inclined as they are made out to be

Reactions: Little Fury

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He does have more jump in his step, I'll give him that, but in terms of generating actual scoring chances ... he's still fairly mediocre.

3rd line player, 35-40 points is what I see for him. He and Draisaitl cannot play together, it's a disaster and was before this season started. Prior to this season the stats showed the Oilers got outscored a horrific 3-7 with the two of them together. This season the team is getting slaughtered again with the two of them together.

They can't be played together. Todd needs to accept that and move on.

Reider/Caggiula Draisaitl Puljujarvi
Lucic Strome Yamamoto/Caggiula

Should be lines 2/3.

Reactions: Zaddy

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The Coyotes have been a bottom 5 team in the league analytically the past couple of seasons and gave guys like Zac Rinaldo career highs in ice time, they aren't as advanced stats inclined as they are made out to be
which is odd cause John Chayka was hired for that specific reason

it's almost as if analytics don't tell the whole story

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not every advanced stat is the be all, end all, but if you're getting outscored as a combination to the tune of like 3-7 ... that's horrible and that's not some obscure, weird stat.

It means what combination of players you are, you suck together. The team gets killed.

Lucic can't be played in the top six here if McDavid and Draisaitl are going to be your centers. Todd and Peter need to make their peace with that.

Play him on the 3rd line and let the GM own up to his blown gambles, but you can't keep forcing him with Draisaitl out of pride.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Not every advanced stat is the be all, end all, but if you're getting outscored as a combination to the tune of like 3-7 ... that's horrible and that's not some obscure, weird stat.

It means what combination of players you are, you suck together. The team gets killed.

Lucic can't be played in the top six here if McDavid and Draisaitl are going to be your centers. Todd and Peter need to make their peace with that.

What is this "shots" and "goals" witchcraft of which you speak?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Lucic should be on the third line, playing like he did last night. Bang some bodies, cycle the puck, rip some one timers when you get the chance. That's where he'll excel. If accepts that role, I think he can still be an effective player.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah he's had I believe 1 shot on goal after game one and zero the last two games. That's kind of concerning. Pretty much zero scoring chances.

I like that he's skating harder and he hits, but yeah. Offensively he's not generating much the last 3 games. 1 shot total in 3 games for a forward is probably lowest on the team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lucic should be on the third line, playing like he did last night. Bang some bodies, cycle the puck, rip some one timers when you get the chance. That's where he'll excel. If accepts that role, I think he can still be an effective player.

It's pretty clear he can't be played on the top 2 lines, but on the 3rd line this organization is probably going to also have to be realistic and accept production more in the 30-35 ish point range most likely.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Some people (the advanced stats crowd mainly) have this notion that Lucic sucks no matter what he does unless the fancy stats are favorable so it's not really worth arguing over yet they give Benning a pardon who has been poor by all metrics but I digress.

What's obvious is that Lucic is more engaged thus far, skating better, more consistently physical and is managing the puck a bit better. Not to say that he's been great and he's been a bit of a drag on that line as is expected but he has definitely been improved over the corpse of Lucic that he was last season.

If you accept Lucic for what he is then you'll be satisfied with his play. He's going to make some mistakes, he's going to flub passes and make some poor defensive reads from time to time but he can still be an effective player by mitigating those mistakes and being tough to play against which he has been thus far this season.
Ideally, he plays a lesser 3rd line role against softer matchups going forward where his defensive deficiencies are less glaring and he can be more fresh with less ice time. I quite liked that 3rd line in the small sample size of the 3rd period last night. I'd like to see more of it going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Some people (the advanced stats crowd mainly) have this notion that Lucic sucks no matter what he does unless the fancy stats are favorable so it's not really worth arguing over.

What's obvious is that Lucic is more engaged thus far, skating better, more consistently physical and is managing the puck a bit better. Not to say that he's been great and he's been a bit of a drag on that line as is expected but he has definitely been improved over the corpse of Lucic that he was last season.

If you accept Lucic for what he is then you'll be satisfied with his play. He's going to make some mistakes, he's going to flub passes and make some poor defensive reads from time to time but he can still be an effective player by mitigating those mistakes and being tough to play against which he has been thus far this season.
Ideally, he plays a lesser 3rd line role against softer matchups going forward where his defensive deficiencies are less glaring and he can be more fresh with less ice time. I quite liked that 3rd line in the small sample size of the 3rd period last night. I'd like to see more of it going forward.

That's fine but his supporters probably also have to accept on the 3rd line he's probably more of a 35-ish point player. It's clear he and Draisaitl can't be played together though.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That's fine but his supporters probably also have to accept on the 3rd line he's probably more of a 35-ish point player.

Ok, what's the problem with that?
Supporters? What supporters? All I see is vitriol spewed towards the guy even when he plays better.

I'm sure that plenty of the posters in this thread who are praising his early season play are praising him because he's earned some praise, not because they are Lucic fanboys.

With that said, I expect him to stay on the 2nd line for a while. As long as Puljujarvi is on the RW, I think it could work with him on 2nd line. If he's the primary puck supporter on that line, it's a problem.
One other thing I'd like to see is him handling the puck less, a lot less, on the PP. He needs to park his rear in front of the goalie and stay there.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yeah he's had I believe 1 shot on goal after game one and zero the last two games. That's kind of concerning. Pretty much zero scoring chances.

I like that he's skating harder and he hits, but yeah. Offensively he's not generating much the last 3 games. 1 shot total in 3 games for a forward is probably lowest on the team.

Zero shots in the last two games. On the ice for just seven Oilers shots in the last three games versus 28 against. I have no idea what people are seeing with this guy right now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He has 2 shots on net the entire season which is third lowest for Oiler forwards. Only Khaira and Kassian are lower and Kassian has been scratched for 2/4 games.

Ultimately you're not really probably likely to score a lot when you can't get the puck on net.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Some people (the advanced stats crowd mainly) have this notion that Lucic sucks no matter what he does unless the fancy stats are favorable so it's not really worth arguing over yet they give Benning a pardon who has been poor by all metrics but I digress.

Shots and goals are fancy stats now? Incredible.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Zero shots in the last three games. On the ice for just seven Oilers shots in the last three games versus 28 against. I have no idea what people are seeing with this guy right now.

The bar is pretty low, he just has to skate hard and hit on the forecheck and that's impressive I guess. I'll give him credit for that, but offensively he looks fairly anemic after game 1.

It's just a terrible fit for him here, we never should have signed him. He can't play with McDavid or Draisaitl.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
which is odd cause John Chayka was hired for that specific reason

it's almost as if analytics don't tell the whole story

I think Chayka actually said last year that character and chemistry are just as important, and it's something he has learned on the job.

Analytics only take you so far, they tell you the past. No analytic is gonna tell you what is gonna happen with a Saad or Pouliot once they get their pay day. Both guys, analytics wonders. Big payday comes, they don't give a crap anymore.

Think you find most teams that brag about analytics and get all kinds of analytics love are teams that are simply good, and have lots of good players thanks to some draft lottery luck and general drafting fortunes. Then the good players go past their primes, and you don't hear much about them anymore. Chicago was for so long the beacon of the value of analytics.

I think analytics is most useful today for coaching. Finding out combinations that work good together. try to find shortcommings in strategies based on the kind of shot volumes, shot locations you're getting for and against. So much proprietary data none of us get to see.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad