Can Lucic bounce back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
He can’t be demoted. He has a NMC.

Yes... people keep forgetting that. The only options for demotion is 4th line time, in-game benchings or the press box when a player has a NMC.

Of course if it gets bad enough for a player and the boo birds are constantly on them, they likely will want out of that environment as well and will likely loosen those NMC/NTC clauses to get out of dodge.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Yes... people keep forgetting that. The only options for demotion is 4th line time, in-game benchings or the press box when a player has a NMC.

Of course if it gets bad enough for a player and the boo birds are constantly on them, they likely will want out of that environment as well and will likely loosen those NMC/NTC clauses to get out of dodge.
Pretty sure he already asked for a trade.
There’s no market.
Or at least no interest from any team he’d go to.
He better improve.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Pretty sure he already asked for a trade.
There’s no market.
Or at least no interest from any team he’d go to.
He better improve.

The way I heard this was that (due to his brutal season) Lucic asked if it would be better for the team (cap wise) if he was traded.

Who knows how it played out but this narrative that he wants out might well be false.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
The way I heard this was that (due to his brutal season) Lucic asked if it would be better for the team (cap wise) if he was traded.

Who knows how it played out but this narrative that he wants out might well be false.
Sure. Who knows.
McKenzie said he asked for a trade on his podcast. You’re right though there’s no way to know for sure.
There was a lot of smoke around the oilers moving him in the off-season and he went nowhere. The contract is problematic. He needs to rebound.

Reactions: guymez

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
If he doesn't improve he should be put on waivers then if no one takes him, go to the AHL. Of course, that may mean he's untradable, so the Oilers are forced to keep him in hopes he improves enough to be traded. After this season, they might have to eat the contract or convince him to retire.

agree 100%. last year he was an AHL player. If he continues to look like one that is where he should be. You got to set a president. If you are a AHL player, you will be there, doesn't matter how much you get paid.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I think he will bounce back. He had s good first half and a terrible second half of last year. I m think he will go back to being a solid 2nd line option and power play presence this year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Gregor seemed to hint that there was something to Lucic wanting out and that he(Gregor) wouldn't say why as it's a private matter.

With that being said I don't think it was a trade me right f***ing now like Denis Lemieux. More if there is something that makes sense for all parties lets look at it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Gregor seemed to hint that there was something to Lucic wanting out and that he(Gregor) wouldn't say why as it's a private matter.

With that being said I don't think it was a trade me right ****ing now like Denis Lemieux. More if there is something that makes sense for all parties lets look at it.

Yeah...again who really knows. In any event I am not going to hold anything against Lucic.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Yeah...again who really knows. In any event I am not going to hold anything against Lucic.

I don’t think he’s been good with the Oilers outside of a handful of games and some uncharacteristic power play production.

I’ll never be a fan of the contract but if he can turn back the clock and be a legit top 6 winger this year, I’ll be firmly on team Looch!
He has done it before, so it’s not completely unthinkable.

More likely, they should probably forget about his paycheque and play him on the third line.

Reactions: nabob

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don’t think he’s been good with the Oilers outside of a handful of games and some uncharacteristic power play production.

I’ll never be a fan of the contract but if he can turn back the clock and be a legit top 6 winger this year, I’ll be firmly on team Looch!
He has done it before, so it’s not completely unthinkable.

More likely, they should probably forget about his paycheque and play him on the third line.

I agree.

I dont ever see this becoming a value contract but it would be great to see Lucic 'rise from the ashes' so to speak. :nod:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He looked quicker, more confident, better on his passes and finished a feed off nicely that he probably shoots wide or misses altogether last season. We've heard the talk of everyone working hard this offseason to have a better season this year, Looch appears to be walking the walk along with Talbot, Strome, Khaira, Klefbom, etc. I'm not sure if Rieder is the right guy for this line, I still think that ultimately Jesse is the man for the job there.

Reactions: Pill Cosby

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
He looked quicker, more confident, better on his passes and finished a feed off nicely that he probably shoots wide or misses altogether last season. We've heard the talk of everyone working hard this offseason to have a better season this year, Looch appears to be walking the walk along with Talbot, Strome, Khaira, Klefbom, etc. I'm not sure if Rieder is the right guy for this line, I still think that ultimately Jesse is the man for the job there.

I have always said that about Puju. He was MVP in the World Jrs for Finland. Play him in top 6

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think Jesse would prefer the line he is on right now over being on a line with Lucic and Drai.
idk about that. Draisaitl is the 2nd best player on this team and if Drai-JP becomes a duo on this team it will mean great things for JP's future.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
His skating reminds me of Steve MacIntyre, zero agility and always out of sync positionally.

You must have selective McIntyre amnesia because Gazdic could skate circles around McIntyre and Lucic can skate circles around Gazdic. That said Mac was among the last of the true super heavies in the NHL.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
After 2 years of hoping Lucic is just pacing himself for the next thing (in preseason, he's just pacing himself for the regular season. In the regular season, he's just pacing himself for playoffs. In playoffs...sigh), I am again left hoping he was just pacing himself last game.

So badly need this guy to find a way to bounce back.

Reactions: Aerrol

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Park his ass in front of the net on a powerplay. Saw it work already in the preseason. We'll score some out of sheer hand-eye and/or girth.

We really, really need him to contribute this season. 20/20 plz

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Park his ass in front of the net on a powerplay. Saw it work already in the preseason. We'll score some out of sheer hand-eye and/or girth.

Agreed, that is where he belongs on the PP and at ES.

After 2 years of hoping Lucic is just pacing himself for the next thing (in preseason, he's just pacing himself for the regular season. In the regular season, he's just pacing himself for playoffs. In playoffs...sigh), I am again left hoping he was just pacing himself last game.

So badly need this guy to find a way to bounce back.

He was ill in this past game and IMO still looked better than he did to end last season.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think Lucic is getting a lot of residual criticism for last game based off of last season. He looked every bit as good as his $8.5M centerman did last game. Scored a nice goal, threw some hits and won more than his share of board battles.

Do I still wish Chia could have traded him this offseason, yep, if it wouldn’t have meant taking a worse player/contract back. But I’m willing to give the guy a chance. He was having a very good season up until Christmas last year, hopefully he can find that game again.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Preseason is a time to experiment with possibilities. Assuming Lucic and Reider aloneare the 2nd line answers is foolhardy. They identified the plan of moving forward with speed as this years goal. Given the way Khaira and Pulj have performed early why not try them with Drai. Drai’s most success has come with the speed of McD. so let’s try him with speedy wingers

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Does anyone else notice how players who stand in front of the net take a lot of abuse?

Yet Lucic just stands there and no one really seems to try and move him.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

Well if he gets any kind of shooting percentage rebound he should hit that mark fairly easily.

He's a career 13.7%.
Last year he shot 6.8%.

Worst in his career by a mile. If he shot his career average he would have scored 20/24/44.

That's not terrible. 50+ points would be better. That may not be in the cards anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad