Can JT catch Crosby in points?

startainfection*

tavares is the main piece of the best line in the league, crosby is the best player in the league, it is gonna be close but there will definitely be a point where he is either tied with or ahead of him

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
tavares is the main piece of the best line in the league, crosby is the best player in the league, it is gonna be close but there will definitely be a point where he is either tied with or ahead of him

Not to put down Tavares but Crosby still has 3 games in hand to play, let's make an easy assumption he gets 3 points in those three games, the different is not as close as it seems now

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Even if Johnny passes Sid , Sid is still the best player in the world. It would just go along way I. A lot of people stop calling him overrated. But then again they would probably just find somthin else to hate on him about. Like say he has better line mates seems to be the new theme around the boards. Lol

scott99

May 13, 2005
I feel he'll comfortably overtake Crosby in the next 10 games.

Don't wanna jinx JT, the guy is awesome. But one thing he hasn't done that he's done in the past is have a slump. First season it was a 30 game slump, second season 20 game slump, third season 15 game slump, fourth season 10 game slump. Notice, even if he does slump the amount if games get less and less. This year he's been so incredibly consistent.

Hockey Overlord

Jan 10, 2014
Don't wanna jinx JT, the guy is awesome. But one thing he hasn't done that he's done in the past is have a slump. First season it was a 30 game slump, second season 20 game slump, third season 15 game slump, fourth season 10 game slump. Notice, even if he does slump the amount if games get less and less. This year he's been so incredibly consistent.

Now he has legit wings which can carry the game along with him. Previous seasons was like if Tavares played bad out of pressure on him to perform, Isles would lose. That's not the case anymore. Vanek and Okposo give such a push from behind to T that he is more relaxed than ever while harvesting those points. It's not the same old pitiful Tavares anymore.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
A fun thought -- but I bet that JT doesn't look at that stuff (or won't admit it) and it certainly isn't on the top of his mind.

The guy is on a team which has been traditionally miserable year after year. If I were him I would spend all my time on how to keep the winning play going and try to help Bailey and Grabs find the back of the net.

If you are going to be a good Capt of a team, you always put your team before stats vs another guy.

But it would be cool if he overtook Sid if even for a little bit.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
My GF and I are going tomorrow vs Pittsburgh. Section 335 Row G $35 a piece...not bad. Will be exciting to watch the #1 and 2 highest scoring players in the NHL against each other. Hopefully a big Islanders win.

Can anyone do a little research and find out the last time the #1 and # 2 scoring leaders played against each other, with one of them being an Islander and if possible the last time at NVMC ?

May not have ever happened before. My guess would start with Gretzky as #1.
Maybe even a bit later when Palffy was on the team.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
My GF and I are going tomorrow vs Pittsburgh. Section 335 Row G $35 a piece...not bad. Will be exciting to watch the #1 and 2 highest scoring players in the NHL against each other. Hopefully a big Islanders win.

Can anyone do a little research and find out the last time the #1 and # 2 scoring leaders played against each other, with one of them being an Islander and if possible the last time at NVMC ?

May not have ever happened before. My guess would start with Gretzky as #1.
Maybe even a bit later when Palffy was on the team.

I have no idea where you would be able to pull data like that

startainfection*

Not to put down Tavares but Crosby still has 3 games in hand to play, let's make an easy assumption he gets 3 points in those three games, the different is not as close as it seems now

crosby isn't playing with vanek and okposo either

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
It would be amazing to see JT leading the league in scoring, even for a brief time, especially against a superstar like Sid. For the first time ever, Tavares has good linemates. If they can get the PP going, anything is possible. Tavares has still not played his best hockey IMO.

It's probably Trottier who was the last NYI player to lead the NHL in scoring at some point of the season. I don't think Bossy did (but may have), possibly Turgeon or LaFontaine but aren't sure.

Maybe a good question for EHornick!

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
It would be amazing to see JT leading the league in scoring, even for a brief time, especially against a superstar like Sid. For the first time ever, Tavares has good linemates. If they can get the PP going, anything is possible. Tavares has still not played his best hockey IMO.

It's probably Trottier who was the last NYI player to lead the NHL in scoring at some point of the season. I don't think Bossy did (but may have), possibly Turgeon or LaFontaine but aren't sure.

If Tavares passes Crosby in points, it's because Vanek and Okposo are better players than Tavares. Tavares is a product. Could never hold a line on his own with two scrubs on the wing like Crosby does game in and game out.

;)

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island

Exactly what I thought :laugh:

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

Maybe I'm losing my mind, but when did Tavares slump last season? I know the point-pace dropped towards the end of the season, but I thought that had more to do with Boyes/Moulson not being able to bury chances than it did Tavares 'slumping'. Even during that final 23 game stretch where he only had 18 points, he still managed to score 12 times(a 43 goal pace).

So, again, I really don't remember any 10-game slump.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

I remember one year where LaFontaine got red hot in the middle of the season and was second in the league in scoring near the halfway point when the Isles went on some sort of ridiculous hot streak, something like 23-5-3. If he played Pittsburgh (Lemieux) in that streak it was probably when it happened. I have no idea which year it was but I still remember how hot he was for that period.

Of course he finished second to Lemieux the year after he was traded from us in 92-93, although we got the last laugh on that one!

It might have happened in 82-83 with Bossy and Gretzky. Bossy finished the year 4th, 6 points out of 2nd, and missed a few games to injury.

JetsMetsIsles

Nov 20, 2009
0 chance he passes Crosby. Crosby is the better player which isn't a big deal because hes the best player in the world. 6 points with 3 more games to play is a huge difference. If Tavares pr whoever finishes second in scoring finishes within 10 points of Crosby Ill be shocked. Assuming of course Sid doesnt get hurt and miss time

Nyislesfan1980

Jan 14, 2014
If Tavares passes Crosby in points, it's because Vanek and Okposo are better players than Tavares. Tavares is a product. Could never hold a line on his own with two scrubs on the wing like Crosby does game in and game out.

;)

did i just read that you said vanek and okposo are better players than tavares??? I certainly hope not haha:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad