Can JT catch Crosby in points?

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I don't usually start threads but I must admit I am leaderboard watching and see that JT is only 11 points behind Crosby for points and now that JT is in sync with Vanek and De Haan is becoming more active offensively, can JT (in 2nd place currently) catch wonderboy for the points title. We would have to go back to the cup years for a points winners, I think Trottier might have done it once. Turgeon put up huge numbers one year but that was a different era in the NHL.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
"Only" 11 points?

Not happening unless Crosby gets hurt. But Johnny has a great chance to run away with 2nd and hopefully prove some haters wrong.

Islander Prophet

Oct 31, 2010
London, UK
it's gonna be very hard to do it without Crosby getting injured. But injuries happen quite often so if Crosby just misses 4-5 games, it could happen

Incarnadine Sea

Mar 4, 2011
Long Island
And, I wouldn't even want JT to catch Crosby because of an injury. It would lessen the accomplishment. Crosby is considered, rightly so, to be the best player in the world. If Crosby and JT both played a full season, and JT finished with more points...MANY people would be scared and confused.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
for the first time since, ever, Tavares has better linemates than Crosby!

But the PP is God awful, Isles never get empty netters, so no "gimmes" for Tavares. The Isles will HAVE TO win a lot of games down the stretch and play well defensively and rely heavily on the top line - so JT will have to be excellent.

But, if all goes as expected, Vanek will be dealt at the deadline, along with AMac, possibly to Pittsburgh for Benoit Pouliot and TWO #1 pick, cuz that's what they do. So then there's no chance.

Of course, Bylsma will probably play Vanek with Sutter and Vitale.
:)

But I don't think anyone can catch Sid. He's simply too good. He'll have slumps and then he'll have disgusting hot streaks.

But 2nd is a realistic possibility for Tavares and that would be outstanding for him.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Tavares is +9 in the last three games and +13 in the last 10 games. That first line is really playing well.

What's the name of that other guy who used to play LW with Tavares?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Tavares is +9 in the last three games and +13 in the last 10 games. That first line is really playing well.

What's the name of that other guy who used to play LW with Tavares?

Very good point. Tavares is now +5 on the season. The top line is much more dangerous at ES.

JT has a legit shot at 2nd in the scoring race and that's still insane, especially in the age of Crosby.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I can't see it. But if he does I won't be mad. Lol

Also there is nothi g wrong with being the person right behind Crosby in a point race

scott99

May 13, 2005
I'd be happy if he finishes in the top ten, thrilled if he finishes in the top five. He isn't gonna out score Crosby. But I think soon people will mention him as the 2nd or 3rd best center in hockey. Crosby number one, Toews or JT as the second best center.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
That's not likely, but I will say this much:

If the Islanders manage to do the impossible (make the playoffs) it will almost ensure that he catches and passes Crosby. I say that because most of the points this club has gotten since the winning streak began has been on the back of the first line, with Tavares the main play making agent collecting pts on pretty much 2 out of every 3 goals.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Unlikely. I think the Isles top line is better overall than the Pens top line, but the Pens top D pairing is way better than ours offensively. It's not a straight up comparison.

But,... a more objective way to answer this question is to compare their last 15 games and say project that out.

Crosby is 8+13 in his last 15.

Tavares is 9+13 in his last 15....

So... VERY objectively... No... Tavares will not catch Crosby. He MAY close the gap but will NOT beat him PPG.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here, but Tavares will win the scoring title this year and he will win the Hart, and yes the Islanders will once again heroically make it to the playoffs. I foresee it.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here, but Tavares will win the scoring title this year and he will win the Hart, and yes the Islanders will once again heroically make it to the playoffs. I foresee it.

I hope it to be true as well. If Tavares were to win the scoring title, the Hart would be a slam dunk if the Isles make the playoffs. They are all interconnected. That would be an almost unbeatable combo to win him the Hart. He'd also have a legit chance to take the Lindsay from Crosby. Crossing my fingers.

Realistically, it's going to be a mountain to climb for all of that to happen. I believe though.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I hope it to be true as well. If Tavares were to win the scoring title, the Hart would be a slam dunk if the Isles make the playoffs. They are all interconnected. That would be an almost unbeatable combo to win him the Hart. He'd also have a legit chance to take the Lindsay from Crosby. Crossing my fingers.

Realistically, it's going to be a mountain to climb for all of that to happen. I believe though.

Well, honestly the odd's are against Crosby playing a full season...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad