Can JT catch Crosby in points?

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I hope it to be true as well. If Tavares were to win the scoring title, the Hart would be a slam dunk if the Isles make the playoffs. They are all interconnected. That would be an almost unbeatable combo to win him the Hart. He'd also have a legit chance to take the Lindsay from Crosby. Crossing my fingers.

Realistically, it's going to be a mountain to climb for all of that to happen. I believe though.

so: Tavares wins scoring title and Hart
Isles make playoffs
Vanek re-signs
Isles still have a shot at McDavid next year

all that's left is the Rangers miss the playoffs - am I right?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
so: Tavares wins scoring title and Hart
Isles make playoffs
Vanek re-signs
Isles still have a shot at McDavid next year

all that's left is the Rangers miss the playoffs - am I right?

No, the Rangers make the playoffs and we take them out. Geez redbull, you need more Kool-Aid. I can send you some if you're running low. :)

It's a good night, life is good and we can dream. Don't be a jerk and pop the balloon. :p:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
No, the Rangers make the playoffs and we take them out. Geez redbull, you need more Kool-Aid. I can send you some if you're running low. :)

It's a good night, life is good and we can dream. Don't be a jerk and pop the balloon. :p:

is that balloon filled with the same kool-aid?

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I hope it to be true as well. If Tavares were to win the scoring title, the Hart would be a slam dunk if the Isles make the playoffs. They are all interconnected. That would be an almost unbeatable combo to win him the Hart. He'd also have a legit chance to take the Lindsay from Crosby. Crossing my fingers.

Realistically, it's going to be a mountain to climb for all of that to happen. I believe though.

i totally agree, but it makes me ask the question; IF crosby gets injured or somehow tavares jumps over him in points, and finishes the season as the league leader, but isles finish out of the playoffs--say 23 overall in the league-- does he still win the hart?

all things being equal, if crosby plays a full season id be very surprised if he doesnt lead the league in pts. tavares is amazing, and he certainly has the drive to be close to crosbys level, but crosby has been an absolute offensive machine since he entered the league.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
I don't usually start threads but I must admit I am leaderboard watching and see that JT is only 11 points behind Crosby for points and now that JT is in sync with Vanek and De Haan is becoming more active offensively, can JT (in 2nd place currently) catch wonderboy for the points title. We would have to go back to the cup years for a points winners, I think Trottier might have done it once. Turgeon put up huge numbers one year but that was a different era in the NHL.
It would be nice to see him catch him. However 11 Points is a HUGE GAP when trying to catch someone like Crosby.
Crosby is getting 1.4 Pts per Game and is on Pace for 116 Points.
JT is on pace for 99 points. If things stayed the same of course.
FOr JT to get to the projected numbers of croby right now he would need to ramp it up even more.
I highly doubt it.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
"Only" 11 points?

Not happening unless Crosby gets hurt. But Johnny has a great chance to run away with 2nd and hopefully prove some haters wrong.

I do not think he can even run away from second. Kane is no joke

Hockey Overlord

Jan 10, 2014
I do not think he can even run away from second. Kane is no joke

3 points in last 7 games doesn't look too impressive :baghead:
Tavares is better than Kane. Only Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos are in the same league.

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I was just taking a look at the NHL scoring leaders and a random thing jumped out at me....who is scoring for Boston? They have no players on the first page of the scoring leaders, and only one from 31 - 60 - Krecji at #40 with 36pts (9/27). Of course, they basically have the same # of goals as the Isles overall. I'm sure the next few pages (which I didn't bother to check) is full of Bruins (has to be), but I just found that a Division leader has exactly 1 player in the top 60 scorers.

Balanced scoring is well and good but its also nice to have a guy or two to rely on when you need it.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I don't think so, not this year but maybe for years to come after this (please sign vanek and keep him on JTs wing)... but 2nd is a real possibility and there is no shame in finishing 2nd to crosby in the scoring race...

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
It would be nice to see him catch him. However 11 Points is a HUGE GAP when trying to catch someone like Crosby.
Crosby is getting 1.4 Pts per Game and is on Pace for 116 Points.
JT is on pace for 99 points. If things stayed the same of course.
FOr JT to get to the projected numbers of croby right now he would need to ramp it up even more.
I highly doubt it.

Not if Sid sits out a few. You never know

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
why not? Crosby is human as well you know.

It's time to start believing folks, our captain is one of the best players in the world.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Imagine how many points JT would have if the referees called penalties that are committed on JT. It's amazing how often Tavares gets roughed up (illegally) and he doesn't get the call.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
No. Unless Crosby gets injured he's winning the Art Ross this year. 11 points is A LOT to make up for. Out of the last 35 games he's have to outscored Crosby in 11 of them and tie him in the rest? Not going to happen.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Tavares is +9 in the last three games and +13 in the last 10 games. That first line is really playing well.

What's the name of that other guy who used to play LW with Tavares?

I think his name is "1st/2nd rounder"....or maybe it's "rental player on the last place team in the division"? Not sure.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I think his name is "1st/2nd rounder"....or maybe it's "rental player on the last place team in the division"? Not sure.

I hate to knock Moulson, he was a likable player and a heck of a goal scorer but I'm glad he's off the team and especially off the top line (though, he'd really help the freakin' PP, wouldn't he!?)

He's played okay in the handful of BUF games I've seen, invisible in some, but dominant front-of-the-net presence in others. I hope he catches on with a good team for a playoff run.

Vanek is a whole other level of player though. Have we ever seen Tavares get as many chances that aren't completely generated on his own as in the last 5-6 weeks?

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I hate to knock Moulson, he was a likable player and a heck of a goal scorer but I'm glad he's off the team and especially off the top line (though, he'd really help the freakin' PP, wouldn't he!?)

He's played okay in the handful of BUF games I've seen, invisible in some, but dominant front-of-the-net presence in others. I hope he catches on with a good team for a playoff run.

Vanek is a whole other level of player though. Have we ever seen Tavares get as many chances that aren't completely generated on his own as in the last 5-6 weeks?

Tavares is playing better with Vanek-no question about that. But was the trade really worth it? I doubt it (unless Vanek re-signs).

edit: this thread is for Tavares/Crosby scoring so I changed my post as it only related to Moulson/Vanek.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Tavares is playing better with Vanek-no question about that. But was the trade really worth it? I doubt it (unless Vanek re-signs).

edit: this thread is for Tavares/Crosby scoring so I changed my post as it only related to Moulson/Vanek.

I don't think there's any Isles fans that think Tavares can catch Crosby, linemates or not. Sid has worse linemates than any of the top players and Tavares now has among the best ones (defensemen notwithstanding - though I hear deHaan is on such a hot streak he may win the Calder and probably make Sochi ;) )

Finishing top three would be a huge achievement for Tavares, personally, but there's a long way to go and a lot of hockey, much of it (likely) without Vanek (after March 5th)!

Was it worth a 1st/2nd? Let's say that BUF retaining some of the Vanek salary is "worth" the 2nd rounder (which burns me up MORE because it's Wang's total cheapness enraging me) so was it "worth" a first? Well, considering Snow could probably get a first (or equivalent prospect closer to the NHL) back if Vanek doesn't sign, then it was totally worth it.

But I seriously doubt Snow when it comes to making sense at the deadline. I'm still afraid Vanek won't sign, won't be traded, will finish the season, Isles miss the playoffs, Snow trades his negotiating rights before July 1st for a 3rd rounder. That would totally SUCK.

Last edited:

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Thread bump on this as JT is now only 6 points behind Crosby, he made up 5 points in the race in just over a week, I think the odds have dropped from 20-1 to 8-1 now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad