Can Giordano be the first 35+ yo D since Lidstrom to hit 55pts? UPD: Can he break the 35+ D record?

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Was trying to find a tough part in your schedule and you guys only play 1 back to back between now and March 6.
We also have 3 different trips to the East in February, which is really odd to me, but yeah our schedule for January has been very light so far in terms of playoff teams (Only Colorado and Boston)

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Was trying to find a tough part in your schedule and you guys only play 1 back to back between now and March 6.
You are really grasping at straws here. A general rule of thumb is that if you’re counting how many back to back games a team has, you’re losing the argument.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
We also have 3 different trips to the East in February, which is really odd to me, but yeah our schedule for January has been very light so far in terms of playoff teams (Only Colorado and Boston)
I was just looking at b2b's from this point on. I saw you guys had one yesterday and took care of it.

West teams always get stupid east coast trips while eastern teams seem to get all their games in and have days off between.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I was just looking at b2b's from this point on. I saw you guys had one yesterday and took care

The Flames had a compressed and annoying schedule in the first half full of 3 in 4 nights and 5 in 7 nights type b.s. Criticizing then for their schedule finally opening up is nothing short of petulant. You just didn't pay attention until it affected your own team's position in the standings.

Reactions: crackdown44

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I was just looking at b2b's from this point on. I saw you guys had one yesterday and took care of it.

West teams always get stupid east coast trips while eastern teams seem to get all their games in and have days off between.
Yeah, I think there's only 3 more b2b's remaining for the Flames this season.
Definitely agree on the east coast trips, this season Calgary makes 7 different trips to the east coast to face the 16 eastern teams and so many of those are either short 2 game stops or 3 games in 4 nights. Usually it's maybe 3 or 4 5 game trips that get it done.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The Flames had a compressed and annoying schedule in the first half full of 3 in 4 nights and 5 in 7 nights type b.s. Criticizing then for their schedule finally opening up is nothing short of petulant. You just didn't pay attention until it affected your own team's position in the standings.
How did I criticize them? I'm saying the points will be harder to make up...

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, I think there's only 3 more b2b's remaining for the Flames this season.
Definitely agree on the east coast trips, this season Calgary makes 7 different trips to the east coast to face the 16 eastern teams and so many of those are either short 2 game stops or 3 games in 4 nights. Usually it's maybe 3 or 4 5 game trips that get it done.
Sharks had one where they played at a Central team, played at Carolina, then went home. Makes no damn sense. That game could have been lumped in with a trip like the one they are on (@tb, fla and wsh).

Reactions: FlamerForLife

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Burns is almost 34 so... not that big of an accomplishment.

Uh...

Burns is 33
Last I checked 33 is not 35+ and pretending it is would be false.

Get back to me in two years when Burns is actually 35+ as Giordano has been this season. A lot can happen in those two years. Look at Duncan Keith - 53pts at age 33 and on pace for only 33 this year.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The Flames have played out a lot of the tough portions of their schedule already. Really hope that doesn't encourage them to take their feet of the peddle.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm going to stick my neck out and make a bold prediction that Giordano will be the first 35+ yo D since Lidstrom to hit 55 pts.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Uh...

Burns is 33
Last I checked 33 is not 35+ and pretending it is would be false.

Get back to me in two years when Burns is actually 35+ as Giordano has been this season. A lot can happen in those two years. Look at Duncan Keith - 53pts at age 33 and on pace for only 33 this year.
He's 34 in a month. He will turn 35 next season. Giordano just turned 35 in october. 55 would be a down season for burns next year. He's looking at 70+ again this year.

Point is 55+ is no longer as rare as it once was because of the way the game is played putting more skill on the blue line, and systems utilizing playmaking defensemen, plus the overall increase in scoring.

Last edited:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
He's 34 in a month. He will turn 35 next session. Giordano just turned 35 in october. 55 would be a down season for burns next year. He's looking at 70+ again this year.

Point is 55+ is no longer as rare as it once was because of the way the game is played putting more skill on the blue line, and systems utilizing playmaking defensemen, plus the overall increase in scoring.
55+ is still a damn remarkable feat. ESPECIALLY when they can defend as well as Gio can. Really not sure what Burns has to do with it, he’s a pure offensive Dman.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He's 34 in a month. He will turn 35 next session. Giordano just turned 35 in october. 55 would be a down season for burns next year. He's looking at 70+ again this year.

The thing is that by bringing up Burns and saying he's 33 and doing the same thing as Giordano you basically are trying to diminish Gio's accomplishment. I mean why even bring it up? Its a hell of an accomplishment by Gio. When Burns does it when he's 35... THEN YOU BRING IT UP.

Also, when most players hit 30 their skills start to deteriorate. In general, every year after 30 they deteriorate even more. So playing hockey when you are 33 is not the same as playing when you are 35. But you already know that don't you? I believe that the whole purpose of your post was to try to lessen Giordano's accomplishment, which to me seems petty.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
sorry that another player doing better at a similar age renders the story of yours not as compelling. it happens.

i was honestly thinking the same thing,

still though, Gio having a great year and will probably get some norris votes as well !

How is he doing better??? Does he have more points then Gio???

Gio 48 games played 52 points
Burns 50 games played 52 points

I would agree with your comments if you were saying Gio is having a better season at a similar age but your not.

Reactions: tmurfin

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
How is he doing better??? Does he have more points then Gio???

Gio 48 games played 52 points
Burns 50 games played 52 points

I would agree with your comments if you were saying Gio is having a better season at a similar age but your not.
lol relax burns is better than Gio now and forever, just be happy that Gio is having a career year at this age and hope he can bring it in the playoffs

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
lol relax burns is better than Gio now and forever, just be happy that Gio is having a career year at this age and hope he can bring it in the playoffs
Offensively sure (although this year, stats say otherwise for now), Gio is worlds better defensively though, soooo, it’s ok ;)

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Offensively sure (although this year, stats say otherwise for now), Gio is worlds better defensively though, soooo, it’s ok ;)
For the first time ever Gio has more points than Burns, lol. by 2 points half way through the season, are you trying to troll ? i don't care about either player you just sound like an ignorant homer, Like i said, Just be happy for Gio he's having a great year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad