Can Giordano be the first 35+ yo D since Lidstrom to hit 55pts? UPD: Can he break the 35+ D record?

TheJudge

Mar 11, 2007
The Norris should be Gio's this year. I have very little faith in the voters doing the right thing though, based on prior experience.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I believe you've missed Ray Bourque's 1996 season. He turned 35 in December which qualifies him by Hockey-reference's New Years Day cutoff, at least.

This statistic considers only points scored by players when they are 35+. Bourque was 34 for a chunk of the season. If he scored 70 of his points after his birthday, then he should be included.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
This statistic considers only points scored by players when they are 35+. Bourque was 34 for a chunk of the season. If he scored 70 of his points after his birthday, then he should be included.

No, he didn't.

Bourque had 44 in 49 from his 35th birthday to the end of the 95-96
Then he added 7 in 5 in the playoffs.
Then the next season through to his 36th birthday he had 14 in 21 GP

So Bourque scored 65 points in 75 games at age 35 so by strictly "points scored at age 35 he doesn't make the cutoff.

Though that might still be pedantic. He added 5 points in the 7 games after his 36th birthday.

So in the 82 games after his 35th pirthday, Bourque had exactly 70 points.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No, he didn't.

Bourque had 44 in 49 from his 35th birthday to the end of the 95-96
Then he added 7 in 5 in the playoffs.
Then the next season through to his 36th birthday he had 14 in 21 GP

So Bourque scored 65 points in 75 games at age 35 so by strictly "points scored at age 35 he doesn't make the cutoff.

Though that might still be pedantic. He added 5 points in the 7 games after his 36th birthday.

So in the 82 games after his 35th pirthday, Bourque had exactly 70 points.

I think you're overthinking it. Two defencemen have previously scored 70 or more points in a single season at 35 years old or older. Giordano is the third to do so, and Bourque never managed the feat due to his retirement. Giordano has a chance to break the single-season record for points scored by a defenceman over 35 years old.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
So I guess we will see if the Norris is really "best offensive Defenceman," or "Best Defencemen." Burn will most likely finish with more points but Gio has been best all around.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Watched Gio play last night and man he was so good, he made a lot happen and was great on both sides of the puck. Doubt he will finish with the most points, but because of his all around play he deserves the Norris.

He was so good last night. The play he made on the blue line to set up the second goal was unreal.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He was so good last night. The play he made on the blue line to set up the second goal was unreal.
That was a good play by Gio which led to an awesome snipe by Mangiapane but frankly that was a terrible play by Jake Virtanen to allow that to happen. I have no idea what Virtanen was thinking. What a brain fart on his part. The guy must be dumber than a rock.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Kypreos compared Giordano to Lidstrom last night in terms of smarts and ability to control the game. Very high praise, even if the stylistic match isn't really true.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Watched Gio play last night and man he was so good, he made a lot happen and was great on both sides of the puck. Doubt he will finish with the most points, but because of his all around play he deserves the Norris.
Agreed. He's pretty much the best passer in the league too, purely from a skill standpoint. He's ridiculously accurate with his passing. Quite a few players look better when you match it with vision and creativity, but his passing technique is perfect.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
When Treliving signed Gio to a 6 year $6.75M contract extension in the summer before his final year on his last contract (Gio was 32 at the time) I thought it was a good deal but it wouldn't look as good as Gio aged. Boy was I wrong. Gio's contract will expire when he's 38 and I see no reason why he won't continue to play well up to that date. The guy appears to be ageless. Will he be another Lidstrom in that respect?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah Burns doesnt have enough of a gap offensively to make up for the fact that Gio is way better in his own end. Barring anything crazy the next 6 games or so, Gio should win the Norris in a land slide and any other result would be ridiculous

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
When Treliving signed Gio to a 6 year $6.75M contract extension in the summer before his final year on his last contract (Gio was 32 at the time) I thought it was a good deal but it wouldn't look as good as Gio aged. Boy was I wrong. Gio's contract will expire when he's 38 and I see no reason why he won't continue to play well up to that date. The guy appears to be ageless. Will he be another Lidstrom in that respect?

Yeah, I also remember seeing people shit on the contract as well, saying they will regret it. Gio should win Norris.

Meowmix

Apr 10, 2015
the Netherlands
It's pretty fair to say your "good" defenseman getting signed until they're 38 is a risky contract. Gio wasn't a surefire hit back then, even though that specific season was rock solid. He's just removing a lot of doubt this year, and that contract is very unlikely to backfire on the Flames.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
It's pretty fair to say your "good" defenseman getting signed until they're 38 is a risky contract. Gio wasn't a surefire hit back then, even though that specific season was rock solid. He's just removing a lot of doubt this year, and that contract is very unlikely to backfire on the Flames.

He hasn't taken a lot of the damage other guys have because he came in to the league late. He might seriously be beasting at 40. He learned from Iginla how to work and work proper for longevity.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
He hasn't taken a lot of the damage other guys have because he came in to the league late. He might seriously be beasting at 40. He learned from Iginla how to work and work proper for longevity.

Yeah and at the end of this contract we just keep giving him Chara one year specials till he doesn’t have any more fingers left for cup rings

Reactions: cheechoo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad