Can Giordano be the first 35+ yo D since Lidstrom to hit 55pts? UPD: Can he break the 35+ D record?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
That goal he scored yesterday was so ****ing boss. How often do you see a Dman dangle the goalie out of his jockstrap like that?

Probably the best captain in the league. I give him credit for taking a home town discount and then getting Gaudreau and Monohan to do the same. Hopefully Tkachuk follows suit as well.

I love when Gio steps up like that.

Reminds me a bit of this one

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I

I hope Gio gets the Norris, this is probably his last chance to do it as no one beats father time forever.

I thought that the year he got injured down the stretch and lost it to EK...very very glad to see him in the race again now.

Also very crazy to see it led massively by guys in their mid-30s who both appear to be getting better.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
If he doesn’t win it’s a damn disgrace. Leaf fans have calling Reilly for this the begining of the season. Stay healthy Gio, this is yours

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
That goal he scored yesterday was so ****ing boss. How often do you see a Dman dangle the goalie out of his jockstrap like that?

Probably the best captain in the league. I give him credit for taking a home town discount and then getting Gaudreau and Monohan to do the same. Hopefully Tkachuk follows suit as well.

I've seen Gio do that move a few times. Someone posted the one vs the Kings, here's the same goal vs Detroit:

And here's a different, but still cool goal he once scored back when he was younger

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Giordano is 35!? Where the hell did the time go?

Honestly, there's no reason anyone outside of Calgary would really know who he was until he was almost 30 anyways. He was undrafted and didn't secure a full time NHL position until his late 20s. He really took the ball and ran with it after Regehr and the old guard left.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That goal was many things, but it sure as heck wasn't "in style." :laugh:

Giordano now has 4 shorthanded goals this season. Holy cow!

Reactions: ESH

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That goal was many things, but it sure as heck wasn't "in style." :laugh:

Giordano now has 4 shorthanded goals this season. Holy cow!
I'd say that since it was a shorty it's "in style". Nothing sweeter than a short handed goal and Gio getting his 4th out of the Flames 18 is even more sweeter.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
With a 3-point night, Giordano is up to 72 points now. He is just the third defenceman in NHL history aged 35+ to hit the 70 point mark, and he's got up to 7 games left to add to that. 80 isn't out of the question. He could break the 35+ D record.

The two prior were Zubov (71 points at 35) and Lidstrom (80 points at 35, 70 points at 37).

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
With a 3-point night, Giordano is up to 72 points now. He is just the third defenceman in NHL history aged 35+ to hit the 70 point mark, and he's got up to 7 games left to add to that. 80 isn't out of the question. He could break the 35+ D record.

The two prior were Zubov (71 points at 35) and Lidstrom (80 points at 35, 70 points at 37).

I believe you've missed Ray Bourque's 1996 season. He turned 35 in December which qualifies him by Hockey-reference's New Years Day cutoff, at least.

Anyways,

Here's something to ponder, 50 of Lidstrom's 80 pts came on the powerplay that season in that infamous 05-06 season. Detroit had 102 PPG, so Lidstrom had a point on just under half of them. Toronto lead the league with 107 PPG.

In other words, Lidstrom only had 30 points outside the PP at age 35.

Giordano has 71 pts, of which a pedestrian 21 have come on the PP. Calgary has 52 PPG so far. Tampa leads the NHL with 72 PPG in 76 GP.

Giordano already has as many non-PP points in 74 GP as Lidstrom had PP points in 80GP.

The sheer completeness of his season is incredible, especially in a league skewing so young and fast.

Of course he's not doing it single handedly. TJ Brodie has been the ultimate support partner, but it's still a joy to watch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad