News Article: Can anyone from the Quebec City area explain this to me?

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
If the Habs were to move to Kansas City
Become the Kansas City Reds, Win the Stanley Cup shortly after they leave....
and then decades later, Montreal has a new arena, and the team that's going to play a pity game there for the fans was.... the Boston Bruins.
We'd be pretty mad.

Business wise it makes sense, it'll be very easy to fill the arena with a Habs-Pens game.
Emotionally it would have probably been easier to swallow for Nordiques fans if it was a Habs-Avalanche game.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
If the Habs were to move to Kansas City
Become the Kansas City Reds, Win the Stanley Cup shortly after they leave....

and then decades later, Montreal has a new arena, and the team that's going to play a pity game there for the fans was.... the Boston Bruins.

We'd be pretty mad.

This

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lol Quebec City.

I'm all for Seattle getting a team before them. Can't stand some of the people there.

You might not stand some of the people in any city if you really got to know them, so I don't know why your hatred would be specifically directed at them. Then again, there is usually a healthy contingent of great people to make up for the sorry types, so I don't buy the notion that one city's residents are particularly irksome.

One thing is certain -- some of the animosity that was generated during those epic Hab/Nords clashes, will not need a lot of prodding to get re-ignited.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
I was born in Qc city, still live here

There is a lot of cars with Habs flags, all of my friends are habs fans

The only people upset about it are the ones who were actually big Nordiques fans and I would say they are usually 45+ y/o

The younger generation are almost all Habs fans.

One thing is sure, the arena will be full the day of the game

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I will try my best to explain as I am one of those people that it bothers.

First, it is not about me hating the Habs. I can't say that I really hate them (fun to say that I hate them when conversing with Habs fans though, but no real hatred there, it has been too long), in fact, they are my third favourite team (Pens, Sens, Habs). I even tried to cheer for them for a few years, but nah, I didn't have it in me.

However, the Nordiques are still in my blood and, well, the Habs were our blood-rivals. I understand the Habs coming to Quebec City every year. It doesn't "cost" them a preseason home game and it enables them to grow their brand in Quebec City. Smart business move especially since the younger folks aren't as attached to the Nords as I might be. That being said, I don't think it was smart of Quebecor to have the first professional hockey game involve the Habs. Every other year, yes, because they will be the draw (and they very well might be the only NHL action we will get until god knows when). But, in 2015, the arena will be the draw. They would have adverted a controversy by having the Pens play the Bruins, for example.

Have what they perceive as the enemy being the first team to play in the new building is something many people can't accept. Can you imagine the Red Sox B-squad opening the new Yankee Stadium against the Orioles? For many people, that is what it is... even if the team doesn't exist anymore. I am pissed about it, but after a day to cool down, I can understand why they thought it was a good idea. I won't go - I never go to those games anyway - and that's it. But that's my decision. I was really emotional about it yesterday, but I should have known better, it was obvious that it would happen.

There was a real backlash and they already announced that former Nordiques would be the first to skate on the new ice (September 12th at the Remparts game). They even had Jacques Tanguay awknowledge the situation (smart PR move btw).

And I am gonna be quite honest, some of the arrogance of SOME Habs fans rub me the wrong way. No, the Habs won't automatically become our favourite team because they are the closest team to Quebec City; for some, there is too much history. No, we won't "get over it", especially not with a real chance of getting a team back (we might not; hell I don't even expect us too). And NO, it is not a minority of Quebec City hockey fans that don't cheer for the Habs and/or are upset about that game (might be a minority among people younger than me (29)). A lot of people do, but I know many more hardcore fans of OTHER teams than I know hardcore Habs fans (casual fans, yes, there are many and those would turn in a nano second if the Nords were to come back). But that's not relevent to the discussion. Quebec City has never (even before the Nords) and will never completely embrace the Habs.

That being said, I won't attend and I don't think it has any impact on us getting a team or not. The arena will be full.. of Habs fans. And that's okay. Good for those of you that live in Quebec City and are Habs fans. It is a chance for you to see your team up-close. Enjoy our new arena and have fun. For many, it is their only chance to bring their kids to a pro-game. I am old enough and can spend money to go on trips to Pittsburgh, Ottawa or Montreal; some people can't and those games are more for them than the are for me.

Even if the Pens, my favourite team (every other year I wouldn't mind and would go see our prospects, but this year, and calling it "party d'ouverture", no), are there, I won't go out of principle. I will just go to Pittsburgh for a second time :)

I hope that I was able to provide you with a satisfactory answer. Note that I come in peace and that I have nothing against Montreal as a city or the Habs as an institution. Hell, I was (and still would be if it made since financially) a Monteral Impact fan. I am a Concordia graduate and I lived in Montreal for four years. I hate Radio X and FM93 as well :laugh:

Last edited:

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
Toronto
I really want QC to have a team but man I hate Quebec. I studied there for four long years and most of them really have an inferiority complex toward Montreal. While people in Montreal doesn't give a crap about Quebec, people in Quebec really thinks there is a rivalry with Montreal about everything. They really despise Montreal. They're like the little shih tzu barking at a grown man.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
I will try my best to explain as I am one of those people that it bothers.

First, it is not about me hating the Habs. I can't say that I really hate them (fun to say that I hate them when conversing with Habs fans though, but no real hatred there, it has been too long), in fact, they are my third favourite team (Pens, Sens, Habs). I even tried to cheer for them for a few years, but nah, I didn't have it in me.

However, the Nordiques are still in my blood and, well, the Habs were our blood-rivals. I understand the Habs coming to Quebec City every year. It doesn't "cost" them a preseason home game and it enables them to grow their brand in Quebec City. Smart business move especially since the younger folks aren't as attached to the Nords as I might be. That being said, I don't think it was smart of Quebecor to have the first professional hockey game involve the Habs. Every other year, yes, because they will be the draw (and they very well might be the only NHL action we will get until god knows when). But, in 2015, the arena will be the draw. They would have adverted a controversy by having the Pens play the Bruins, for example.

Have what they perceive as the enemy being the first team to play in the new building is something many people can't accept. Can you imagine the Red Sox B-squad opening the new Yankee Stadium against the Orioles? For many people, that is what it is... even if the team doesn't exist anymore. I am pissed about it, but after a day to cool down, I can understand why they thought it was a good idea. I won't go - I never go to those games anyway - and that's it. But that's my decision. I was really emotional about it yesterday, but I should have known better, it was obvious that it would happen.

There was a real backlash and they already announced that former Nordiques would be the first to skate on the new ice (September 12th at the Remparts game). They even had Jacques Tanguay awknowledge the situation (smart PR move btw).

And I am gonna be quite honest, some of the arrogance of SOME Habs fans rub me the wrong way. No, the Habs won't automatically become our favourite team because they are the closest team to Quebec City; for some, there is too much history. No, we won't "get over it", especially not with a real chance of getting a team back (we might not; hell I don't even expect us too). And NO, it is not a minority of Quebec City hockey fans that don't cheer for the Habs and/or are upset about that game (might be a minority among people younger than me (29)). A lot of people too, but I know many more fans of OTHER teams than I know Habs fans. But that's not relevent to the discussion. Quebec City has never (even before the Nords) and will never completely embrace the Habs.

That being said, I won't attend and I don't think it has any impact on us getting a team or not. The arena will be full.. of Habs fans. And that's okay. Good for those of you that live in Quebec City and are Habs fans. It is a chance for you to see your team up-close. Enjoy our new arena and have fun. For many, it is their only chance to bring their kids to a pro-game. I am old enough and can spend money to go on trips to Pittsburgh, Ottawa or Montreal; some people can't and those games are more for them than the are for me.

Even if the Pens, my favourite team (every other year I wouldn't mind and would go see our prospects, but this year, and calling it "party d'ouverture", no), I won't go out of principle. I will just go to Pittsburgh for a second time :)

I hope that I was able to provide you with a satisfactory answer. Note that I come in peace and that I have nothing against Montreal as a city or the Habs as an institution. Hell, I was (and still would be if it made since financially) a Monteral Impact fan. I am a Concordia graduate and I lived in Montreal for four years.

I don't have any statistics (although I'd like to see some) but I'm ready to bet that as of today there are more habs fans in Qc city than Nordiques fans.

When the habs play, the Cage aux sports or any other place like that are full, Laval university sometimes organizes events for fans to watch the games. All of my friends and relatives are habs fans, habs flags are on so many cars, I see a bunch of people everyday with Habs caps or T-shirt.

I think this is something die hard Nordiques fans seem to forget.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
wait a minute...we get a French-speaking coach just so they can understand what he is saying and they do not even want to see his post-game presser in their city? :sarcasm:

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
Toronto
I don't have any statistics (although I'd like to see some) but I'm ready to bet that as of today there are more habs fans in Qc city than Nordiques fans.

When the habs play, the Cage aux sports or any other place like that are full, Laval university sometimes organizes events for fans to watch the games. All of my friends and relatives are habs fans, habs flags are on so many cars, I see a bunch of people everyday with Habs caps or T-shirt.

While studying at Laval University between 2002 and 2006, how many fights did I get into at the Pub because most of the people were cheering for Boston or Carolina during the playoffs and they were so happy when the Habs were losing. They didn't really root for the other team, they just wanted the Habs to lose. It was ridiculous.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

As I said, many casual fans. Those would turn in a minute (and those will go to the game). But die-hards? Few and far between. Honestly, I see as much "other" gear than I see Habs gear. Sure, there are no team, even the Nords, that has a bigger presence AT THIS MOMENT, but the city is not a Habs city EVEN if there are about 50% of Habs fans. The Bruins, Pens, Sens and others are more popular in Quebec City than they are anywhere else in the province. It dwindles from year to year, though. But that's not the discussion here and I don't have official stats.

But in my circle, not many Habs fans. At work, there are more Pens fans than Habs fans (but I work in an English environment, it isn't reflective of the whole city). Among my closest friends in Quebec City (most of my friends live elsewhere), one or two casual Habs fans. I even know a die-hard Canes fan :laugh:

But yeah, among the younger generation (-25), many many many Habs fans.

DJyellow

Sponsor
May 9, 2002
Laval
would be cool if the pre-season game would have been the Colorado Avalanche vs The Habs...

As a nice gesture, the Avs wear the Nordiques uniform and honour former players like Joe Sakic, Owen Nolan, Statsny and Sundin

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
While studying at Laval University between 2002 and 2006, how many fights did I get into at the Pub because most of the people were cheering for Boston or Carolina during the playoffs and they were so happy when the Habs were losing. They didn't really root for the other team, they just wanted the Habs to lose. It was ridiculous.

well this was 10 to 14 years ago

Those people were teenagers when we lost our team, they had the chance to see them play.

My generation 25 and younger never really saw a Nordiques game, we grew up watching the habs. Time have changed.

Last edited:

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
Toronto
well this was 10 to 14 years ago

Those people teenagers when we lost our team, they had the chance to see them play.

My generation 25 and younger never really saw a Nordiques game, we grew watching the habs. Time have changed.

Yes it's true. It was a long time ago. :laugh:

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
As I said, many casual fans. Those would turn in a minute (and those will go to the game). But die-hards? Few and far between. Honestly, I see as much "other" gear than I see Habs gear. Sure, there are no team, even the Nords, that has a bigger presence AT THIS MOMENT, but the city is not a Habs city EVEN if there are about 50% of Habs fans. The Bruins, Pens, Sens and others are more popular in Quebec City than they are anywhere else in the province. It dwindles from year to year, though. But that's not the discussion here and I don't have official stats.

But in my circle, not many Habs fans. At work, there are more Pens fans than Habs fans (but I work in an English environment, it isn't reflective of the whole city). Among my closest friends in Quebec City (most of my friends live elsewhere), one or two casual Habs fans. I even know a die-hard Canes fan :laugh:

But yeah, among the younger generation (-25), many many many Habs fans.

Our difference of point of view might be because of our age and our location

I'm in my early 20s, living in downtown Quebec. I suppose you're older than that and you live in Asbestos.

We don't hang around the same groups of people

But as you said, I guess I could find some people under 25 who hate the Habs but I think it would be hard

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Beautiful city and I hope they get the Nordiques back. Also understand they'd want their home team to play the first NHL game in the new arena and not their rivals.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Our difference of point of view might be because of our age and our location

I'm in my early 20s, living in downtown Quebec. I suppose you're older than that and you live in Asbestos.

We don't hang around the same groups of people

But as you said, I guess I could find some people under 25 who hate the Habs but I think it would be hard

I live in downtown QC as well actually (St-Sauveur) - spend my teenage years in Asbestos, never changed my location. I am older thought and most of my friends are about my age and they all have watched the Nords.

But yeah, we have a different perspective because we are part of different groups. And you are also quite right to mention that the younger generation don't hate the Habs. I expect (well I hope, younger people are loud and passionnate) most of them to make the switch if we get a team though :)

That is what I think was great and should be great about our rivalry. It is pure hatred hockey-wise, but it involves friends, colleagues and family members. Sure, some people hate one city or the other, but as violent as it might get, it still is somewhat friendly. What's better than a Nords/Habs games on New Year Eves with half the family on one side and the other half on the other. Nothing :handclap:

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
I live in downtown QC as well actually (St-Sauveur) - spend my teenage years in Asbestos, never changed my location. I am older thought and most of my friends are about my age and they all have watched the Nords.

But yeah, we have a different perspective because we are part of different groups. And you are also quite right to mention that the younger generation don't hate the Habs. I expect (well I hope, younger people are loud and passionnate) most of them to make the switch if we get a team though :)

That is what I think was great and should be great about our rivalry. It is pure hatred hockey-wise, but it involves friends, colleagues and family members. Sure, some people hate one city or the other, but as violent as it might get, it still is somewhat friendly. What's better than a Nords/Habs games on New Year Eves with half the family on one side and the other half on the other. Nothing :handclap:

I've never experienced that but I would love too :)

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Hopefully they get the Hurricanes or the Panthers, these games are boring as hell.

They would most likely overpay for DD. Win/win for the Habs.

Spectaculard

What am I a fruit?
Jan 25, 2007
Montreal
I totally see where the pissed nordiques fans are coming from. That said, if I were in their shoes, I would still go to the game.

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
I think it goes beyond just the Hockey rivalry. People from Québec City have an inferiority complex with Montrealers. First, because Montrealers treat them like small town folks. Second, because most Quebec City citizens have a small town mentality. Third, because they always believe that Quebec City never got the attention it deserve, specialy in front of Montreal.

Also, I think people in Quebec City knows that they will not get a team soon and they don't want Garry Bettman to play with them. "You will not get the candy, but here, get some sugar". It's easy to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad