News Article: Can anyone from the Quebec City area explain this to me?

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Well... Rivality in professional sport is not exactly the most rational thing out there.

But I'm sure some people would have been mad if the first game played at the Centre Molson back in 1996 had been between the Leafs and the Bruins. :laugh:

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
The Habs are the closest thing they have to a team so they'd better get used to it.

gee

Jun 28, 2007
Winnipeg
But I'm sure some people would have been mad if the first game played at the Centre Molson back in 1996 had been between the Leafs and the Bruins. :laugh:

yes, but Montreal had a team at that time. I would understand if they had a team, or even a commitment to being given a team, but as long as the argument isn't that they want no team to play there until the nords return. That would seem odd.

Maybe if it wasn't the Avs and Habs - here in Winnipeg they had to put up with similar crap, watching their relocated team come in a play their former bitter rivals. double sour taste. :laugh: but it's not like the Avs and Habs haven't played there before.

diskkkk

Dec 1, 2012
I live in Quebec City (born in MTL). It's just a minority of old stubborn folks that are still Nordiques fans. And an even lower minority that can't understand it doesn't matter at all who plays the first game.

I couldn't care less if the Nordiques never came back. The rivalry could be fun but i'll always be a CH fan.

That being said, if you put yourself in their shoes, 20 years after loosing the habs we'd still be bitter about that and probably pissed off too. We gotta respect that kind of loyalty to a team....

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Makes no sense in waiting 100 years for the first "Nordiques" game.

They'd miss out on tons of revenue, just to satisfy some old senile bitter fans?

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I live in Quebec City (born in MTL). It's just a minority of old stubborn folks that are still Nordiques fans. And an even lower minority that can't understand it doesn't matter at all who plays the first game.

I couldn't care less if the Nordiques never came back. The rivalry could be fun but i'll always be a CH fan.

That being said, if you put yourself in their shoes, 20 years from the day the Canadiens were moved I'd still be bitter about that and probably pissed off. So we gotta respect that.

The Jays and Mets were the first baseball game in Montreal since the Expos left. Both of those teams were somewhat rivals. I don't think people were complaining.

diskkkk

Dec 1, 2012
Makes no sense in waiting 100 years for the first "Nordiques" game.

They'd miss out on tons of revenue, just to satisfy some old senile bitter fans?

What they would have liked is a game between 2 teams that are not the habs.

But IMO that would backfire as I'm not sure they would fill the arena and then hopes of a team coming back would vanish.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
What they would have liked is a game between 2 teams that are not the habs.

But IMO that would backfire as I'm not sure they would fill the arena and then hopes of a team coming back would vanish.

Makes sense.

But that would be lolsy: build an arena, put up Hurricanes vs Wild, attract 10k people, disappoint the NHL and never get an NHL team again.

gg, good use of taxpayer funds

diskkkk

Dec 1, 2012
The Jays and Mets were the first baseball game in Montreal since the Expos left. Both of those teams were somewhat rivals. I don't think people were complaining.

Dude, maybe it's cause I've lived here 4 years but man that rivalry doesn't come close to the CH-Nords one. It was ****ing hell.

Baseball was never as popular in MTL as hockey was in Quebec, per capita.

diskkkk

Dec 1, 2012
Makes sense.

But that would be lolsy: build an arena, put up Hurricanes vs Wild, attract 10k people, disappoint the NHL and never get an NHL team again.

gg, good use of taxpayer funds

Exactly hahaha. Hard to believe some Nordiques fans can't understand this.

That's why I say it's only a minority that complain.

Quebecor, who obviously owns the journal quoted in the OP and the arena promoting, is simply making some strategic moves, balancing revenues and creating enough FUD to sale newspapers.

Last edited:

RealCity

Nov 14, 2008
MontREAL
Looking forward to the Nordiques eventually getting a team, my gf and I love the city so it would give us a reason to go there to watch the Habs play.

Regarding the article, it's just delusional separatist dinosaurs that look at the Habs as being representative of Canada and the federalist agenda, so the Habs playing at Pierre Karl Pile-o-Dough's new arena first is sacrilege.

Bet you anything if and when the Nordiques get a team PKP will not want them to sing O Canada before the game. Book it.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
Eh, a story built around a small minority of people. From all I have read, most people in QC have become Hab fans, so those people I am sure are thrilled. If they ever do get a team back ( and a big portion of that will be whether the Canadian dollar comes back) it will be interesting to see how many of them no longer cheer for the Habs but start cheering for the local team, whatever they are called.

But QC can learn from the Big Owe experience the last two years. It may not get MLB back to Montreal, but it has certainly made them pay attention to a city that 10 years ago would not merit a second look. Picking the Habs will ensure that they fill that arena, so a good move (although my gut tells me that it would fill no matter who plays).

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I grew up a Nord fan and anybody dissing their fans don't know how it feels losing the team you love.

Imagine (dreamland of course) Montreal without the Habs... You already see it with the Expo but with the habs it would be 100000000 times worse.

I still cannot believe they have not got back their team especially now that Winnipeg proved that canadiens small city can have success with the current NHL model.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
Lol Quebec City.

I'm all for Seattle getting a team before them. Can't stand some of the people there.

Astormynight

Apr 19, 2015
People?

This is one guy ...

If you did not read the article you have to understand this. It is the opinion of one talk show host, Gilles Parent. Another talk show host quoted in this article says there is no problem with the Habs vs Penguins.

There will always be whiners...

Gilles Parent is the host of the afternoon show on the FM 93 radio... a talk radio well known to attract audience by stirring controversy and criticizing everything that come from Montreal and their conservative.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
Once a loser, you always remain a loser. Quebec City, you mad?:laugh:

Loser?

In the last 10 years, Québec City has been one of the most prosperous cities in North America. I am born in Montréal and our Canadiens are deeply entrenched in me but no one in Montréal is in position to call Québec City a “loserâ€!

Regarding the OP... some fans in Québec still hate the Habs... so what? It only means that once they get a team, the rivalry will be as intense as before!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad