Can any team in the west challenge Vegas or Colorado in next 2-3 years?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
It reminds me a lot of the Detroit vs Colorado days at the height of their strength.

The answer is unlikely. Dallas has a good team but has some rapidly aging goalies and some potential cap issues. They remind me of St.Louis in power days of Detroit and Colorado. A good team but never good enough.

Reactions: dalewood12

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
It reminds me a lot of the Detroit vs Colorado days at the height of their strength.

The answer is unlikely. Dallas has a good team but has some rapidly aging goalies and some potential cap issues. They remind me of St.Louis in power days of Detroit and Colorado. A good team but never good enough.
Oettinger isn't "rapidly aging..."

edit: We also don't have cap issues, we had that this season but next season will be much improved. Just an all around odd take.

Last edited:

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Edmonton, Minnesota and Dallas are really the only teams I see that could.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Oettinger isn't "rapidly aging..."

edit: We also don't have cap issues, we had that this season but next season will be much improved. Just an all around odd take.

You still have Bishop and Kuemper both signed.

Dallas has 16 million in cap space with half a defense to sign including Heiskanen. They also have only 9 forwards signed.
If you do the math there is going to be issues especially if Dallas wants to add pieces to improve.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The Wild just took VGK to 7 games and will be adding talent this offseason. I think they can challenge them.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
You still have Bishop and Kuemper both signed.

Dallas has 16 million in cap space with half a defense to sign including Heiskanen. They also have only 9 forwards signed.
If you do the math there is going to be issues especially if Dallas wants to add pieces to improve.
Kuemper? I think you mean Khudobin, and Dallas has plenty of cap space to do the things that need doing. Dallas doesn't need to add pieces to improve, they need to be healthy. That's already happening.

If Khudobin isn't taken by Seattle it's almost certain they will trade him. Oettinger needs to be the 1B next season, or the 1A if they want to limit Bishops schedule.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Things can change on a dime really quick in this league .. but as of now there's at least Dallas and Minny who can compete. I expect some teams to get better as well this off season.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Things can change fast in the NHL. While Colorado/Vegas look to be the powerhouses for years, I'd bet on someone else winning the West in the next two years

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Dallas didn't even make the playoffs, so I'm not sure they're the best counterexample.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Dallas didn't even make the playoffs, so I'm not sure they're the best counterexample.

Sure if you just ignore that they were missing their #1 goalie, #1 center, #1 RW all season, started the season with COVID, had a once in a century storm hit DFW that had players evacuating their homes due to days with no power and running water/pipes bursting, and had numerous other injuries to existing players like Hintz and Faksa being D2D for like the whole season, Kiviranta being out, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad