Can any team in the west challenge Vegas or Colorado in next 2-3 years?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If Boldy really pans out and Minnesota adds another weapon to their offense they can absolutely challenge Vegas. They have the book on how to beat us.

Also a lot of Vegas' future success will depend on if Lehner can rebound. Fleury's current level isn't sustainable and Lehner has left a lot to be desired. Logan Thompson is promising for sure but if all pans out right for him he's still a good two years away from being a strong starter.

Reactions: TychoFan

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Yeah, once the salary cap starts to do its thing. Also didn't Dallas go to the SCF a year ago?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Kuemper? I think you mean Khudobin, and Dallas has plenty of cap space to do the things that need doing. Dallas doesn't need to add pieces to improve, they need to be healthy. That's already happening.

If Khudobin isn't taken by Seattle it's almost certain they will trade him. Oettinger needs to be the 1B next season, or the 1A if they want to limit Bishops schedule.

My bad I meant Khudobin. I think they do need to add pieces. Vegas and Colorado have gotten better. Yes Dallas had that Covid issue which derailed their season. But I still think they need to add.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Dallas didn't even make the playoffs, so I'm not sure they're the best counterexample.

If not for the Covid issue they would have made the playoffs, hell they went to the cup last year. But I think the avs and knights have passed them so the stars need to make some moves to try to catch back up.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
If you ask the Benning Bros, the Canucks are on the verge of greatness lmao
Canucks have easily the best young core in the west despite what Benning haters think. It's to bad people let their silly obsession with Benning get in the way of facts.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm am hoping Vancouver can take some huge steps next year. Of course for the time being I don't really see it happening with Benning the under the helm knowing he can't seem to make good signings or trades. his drafting is ok.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Edmonton is a big question mark. Holland has his work cut out for him...

I think Minnesota and Dallas could potentially step up. Canucks do have a promising young core as well.

yurnxt

Apr 7, 2009
Depending on what St. Louis does or doesn't do this off-season, they would have to be in the conversation yet.

That team was ravaged by injuries both in the form of players missing time and players playing at half capacity due to playing hurt. As if that wasn't enough of a hindrance, their point per game+ forward wasn't even allowed to compete in the playoffs d/t Covid protocol.

I would also agree with the folks in this topic who mentioned both Dallas and Minnesota. Those teams are also in a position to challenge Colorado and Vegas going forward.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
1) Colorado
2) Vegas
3) Dallas
4) Vancouver - they're not as far off as some people think
5) Edmonton - McDavid/Drai have to figure it out eventually, right?
6) Winnipeg - just improve the D
7) St.Louis - still have a good team, could make another run with some changes
8) Calgary - a lot of good pieces in place
9) Minnesota - good young team on the rise
10) Seattle - should have a decent team from the start
11) Los Angeles - they'll be near the top in 2-3 years
12) Anaheim - they have a ton of good young pieces
13) Chicago - some good vets and some good young pieces, could compete
14) Nashville - stuck in no man's land
15) San Jose - oooooof
16) Arizona - sorry

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Things can change on a dime really quick in this league .. but as of now there's at least Dallas and Minny who can compete. I expect some teams to get better as well this off season.

Pretty much this, 2 or 3 years a lot can change and a team like Edmonton with 2 elite talents and some good young pieces could easily be there although they will always have a hard time with FA with their geographic situation.

Heck even a team like the Kings could if enough of their prospects develop quickly.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
The Wild just took VGK to 7 games and will be adding talent this offseason. I think they can challenge them.
Dallas beat them with basically the same lineup last year. Looks some team have a hard time with other teams regardless of talent on the roster.

Reactions: Elysian

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Oettinger isn't "rapidly aging..."

edit: We also don't have cap issues, we had that this season but next season will be much improved. Just an all around odd take.
upload_2021-6-10_7-39-30.png

Reactions: Elysian

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
always feels like bishop's body limits his own schedule, he hasn't played since the 2020 playoffs right?
Yeah and I wouldn't call what he did in the 2020 playoffs "playing" :laugh:

I think Otter is ready to take the reigns if he needs to, especially with Dallas' defense.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Canucks have easily the best young core in the west despite what Benning haters think. It's to bad people let their silly obsession with Benning get in the way of facts.

I'm am hoping Vancouver can take some huge steps next year. Of course for the time being I don't really see it happening with Benning the under the helm knowing he can't seem to make good signings or trades. his drafting is ok.

Agreed. They're pretty stacked with talent. Just a matter of putting it all together. If they do, they can be pretty dangerous.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
13 teams, odds are someone will make a jump or pull an upset.

Colorado-Vegas should be a good rivalry for the net few years. Broncos versus Raiders, Weed versus Gambling, Subarus vs Cadillacs, Rocky Mountain Oysters versus All-You-Can-Eat Macaroni Salad!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad